New To These Forums.

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Lawrence USMC

New To These Forums.

Post by Lawrence USMC »

I just moved to Arizona with my father from California after serving in the military. My grandpa always told me stories about these mountians and i finally got around to having my friends drive down here and stay with me for the weekend and check it out. Well we had kinda late start andwe reached the mountian and it was already begining to be night fall so we started heading back. But when i turned to the mountian to take another look at it i saw a light kinda bright blueish at the bottom of the mountian and it would dim and light up again. It would move back in for back in forth i know no one was there with a flash light but thats just an experience that i had. My question is has anyone had an experience like that at all...? And my Second question is.. I plan on going this weekend with my father Which Hiking trail is good to explore and find mines and clues..? And Directions

Thank You
Lawrence Hansen
Somehiker
Part Timer

Re: New To These Forums.

Post by Somehiker »

Welcome to the forum Lawrence:
I would suggest that you first pay a visit to the Superstition Mountain Museum and,while there,pick up a copy of "Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness" by Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewart.My choice for good introductory hike would be the "Massacre Grounds" hike.It's sorta central to the "legend" of the Lost Dutchman Mine and the basic history is given in the book at the beginning of the section.There are also topo sections included,although a full size topo of the entire range is also available at the museum,and I would recommend that and a gps as well if they fall within your budget.

Regards:SH
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Somehiker wrote:Welcome to the forum Lawrence:
I would suggest that you first pay a visit to the Superstition Mountain Museum and,while there,pick up a copy of "Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness" by Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewart.My choice for good introductory hike would be the "Massacre Grounds" hike.It's sorta central to the "legend" of the Lost Dutchman Mine and the basic history is given in the book at the beginning of the section.There are also topo sections included,although a full size topo of the entire range is also available at the museum,and I would recommend that and a gps as well if they fall within your budget.

Welcome and I wholeheartedly second SH's recommendation to get a copy of "Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness." It's FAR from your typical hiking guide pamphlet as it does a fantastic job of mixing accurate trail maps with easy to follow directions and best of all includes a great deal of history (both LDM and non-LDM). You can't go wrong with the purchase!

Enjoy
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Welcome! That blue light you saw is one of those new LED flashlights. They're really bright. Buy one. They work well in mine shafts 8O

BTW you can find the directions to the Lost Dutchman Mine up the trail past the 9th Saguaro. Crawl over 12 rocks, find the black tailed rattle snakes, look North while pointing East, close your eyes and turn around 5 times. Then if you head 400 leagues to the West you'll see them under the big yellow rock.

Best of luck! :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

BTW I was just kidding :lol: :lol:

Jack's book is an invaluable resource to the trails/history of the Mountains. Get a copy and don't look back. There are 2 main trail heads leading into the mountains. First Water which is just North of the Goldfield Ghost Town on the NW side of the range, or the Peralta Trailhead which is on the South side of the range at the end of Peralta road. Either trail head can be found easily from a map, and have major trails leaving from them. You can get almost anywhere in the mountains via either of these trail heads. Some places might take a couple of days, but you can get there.

I really recommend starting off with shorter hikes until you get familiar with the range so you don't get lost. You picked a good time of year to come out here. Hiking season just started. If you need anything, just ask. :mrgreen:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Lawrence,

I would like to add my welcome to the others, and thank you for your service.

Jack and Elizabeth's Hiker's Guide is a perfect choice for a newcomer to the Superstitions. Since you seem to be gravitating to the West side, you should probably opt for their first book. The just released "Superstition Wilderness Trails East" is a fine addition, but many of the legends take place farther west.

One of the best things you could do to get started, is to drive out to the Don's Camp for the Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous. Many of the old timers and a number of authors will be present.......including Jack Carlson.

The event is free and open to everyone. You can read about it on this Forum.

Once again, welcome.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

djui5 wrote:Welcome! That blue light you saw is one of those new LED flashlights. They're really bright. Buy one. They work well in mine shafts 8O

BTW you can find the directions to the Lost Dutchman Mine up the trail past the 9th Saguaro. Crawl over 12 rocks, find the black tailed rattle snakes, look North while pointing East, close your eyes and turn around 5 times. Then if you head 400 leagues to the West you'll see them under the big yellow rock.

Best of luck! :lol:
Don't listen to him,Lawrence.The flashing blue light that you witnessed is actually quite commonly seen out there.Happens every time that someone finds the Lost Dutchman mine.These guys wearing black suits show up and tell you to look closely at the little LED flashlight ........
Randy is probably one of them 8)

SGnAZ
Greenhorn

Post by SGnAZ »

I agree with Joe on attending the "Rendevous".
Alot of really great folks there and some fascinating stories as well.
Steve
Lawrence USMC

Post by Lawrence USMC »

8O You had me going for a minute spinning around lol. Well thank you for all the replies and information. Ill go this weekend back to the mountains ill let you guys know how it goes. I saw the thread on Rendevous get together i'll attend that, it would be really cool to brush up on the history and stories. Also the hiking

Thanks Again

Lawrence
jim@montana

Post by jim@montana »

I just registered from this forum, though I've enjoyed reading it for some time. I love reading these old stories about the greatest mystery of the 19th century.

Can anyone tell me the date for the 2010 rendezvous ? Also, Joe, I think I remember you telling someone on the forum that if they contacted you, you could tell them how to find a copy of Bark's Notes ?

jim@montana
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jim,

Check your personal messages.

Joe Ribaudo
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I would guess the 22nd,23rd and 24th of October for 2010. Believe it or not Randy, Greg and I haven't been in the same spot since the rendezvous. I think that 3rd weekend in October works pretty well for everyone. We should have it confirmed in the next month or so.

I think the only real change will be moving the big night from Friday to Saturday for planned speakers as was suggested.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

zentull wrote:I would guess the 22nd,23rd and 24th of October for 2010.
Works for me. Now if Greg can get us the Dons camp again, and it is open, then the date is set.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wayne,

Hope all is well with you, the family, the dogs and the horses. Not sure what other critters you have, but suspect you may have to eat them this winter. Us flatlanders will probably be forced to eat each other. 8O

Right now, Carolyn and I are planing on being at the Rendezvous again this year. Believe we may need to make a little more stew considering the crowd you had last year. That was some fun. :D

Looking forward to seeing you again, as well as everyone else.

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Got a turtle....found it in the street one day. Been so busy 12-14 hours a day that when I get a breather I try to spend it hiking or hanging with the kids.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

zentull wrote:Got a turtle....found it in the street one day. Been so busy 12-14 hours a day that when I get a breather I try to spend it hiking or hanging with the kids.
It's a double edged sword ain't it Wayne?? I find myself wanting to complain that work has been killing me for the last couple years, but then I look around and see we have PhD and Master's Degree Chemists applying for Technician jobs through temp agencies and I realize I should just be happy I'm working.

Gotta start sending you and Randy some e-mails and see if I can come out and explore with you in March sometime - even if it's only for a few days!!

Heard you guys are having some lousy weather out that way too - lots of rain and wind?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Hi Paul,

This is a great time to be doing a little gold panning in the Supe's. Get into those places you suspect, and test the waters......so to speak. Course you want to be pretty sure the heavy rains will hold off for a few days. Personally, I would work my way up into some of the steep ravines and take some samples to be panned out below.
May not need to go that far, as pools of water will be found farther up.

Take care,

Joe
rfj
Greenhorn

Post by rfj »

Hello Cubfan64, Zentull, djui5, Joe and all. This is my first post on this forum but I've been watching and reading for years. Hope all is well with everyone and your life is where you want it to be. I attended the rendevous in October and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to this upcoming rendevous with much anticipation.By the way, if you gentlemen work up some hikes or trips in March, would you mind if an Okie went along? Hope that's not too presumptous on my part. Anyway, best to all.

Ralph Johnson
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Will keep it in mind.

Paul,

You were the last Dutch Hunter to hitch a ride in the old Bronco.......All work little play means I bought me a new truck! Gonna miss that creaky, gas guzzling, stinky old bucket of bolts.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Ralph - good to hear from you! I certainly remember you and look forward to shaking hands again this coming October if I can make it out that way.

Wayne - WOW!!!! I would have bet you'd be buried in that Bronco!!!

So how long before the new truck is full of month old french fries - not to mention all the brush scratches from driving through Arizona's "outback?"

Joe - If I lived out that way, I'd learn how to pan for gold and I have at least 2 spots I'd already have been out checking :)
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

No food, no drinks, no fun in the new truck!!!!!
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

zentull wrote:No food, no drinks, no fun in the new truck!!!!!
Yah sure - you and I both know that ain't gonna last forever :)

Take care and stop working so hard - life's important to live :)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

We seem to be getting a lot of "newbie's" to the Forum and Dutch Hunting in general.

This is a WARNING for those people:

The Superstitions are dangerous, even for those who have lived in the mountains and are highly experienced. It is best to never go into those mountains, off the maintained trails, alone. The optimum, minimum, number is three. I won't go into all of the things you should take, or the various precautions you should follow. Suffice it to say that you should get advise from those that you know are familiar with the Superstitions.

Two people have lost their lives in those mountains in recent months. One from a heart attack, and the other's body has not been found yet. I don't know the heart attack victims background, but Jessie Capin was an experienced mountain hiker.

As you read the books about these mountains, and listen to all of the stories that are passed around, you should keep in mind that many very well respected Dutch Hunters have made up these stories out of whole cloth. In other words, they will lie to your face without compunction. They have been creating signs and clues in the mountains for many years.

In most cases, that is harmless, but there are times when their clues, stories and false signs will lead you into extremely dangerous areas. Many people have lost their lives or been seriously injured trying to follow this information.

There will be people who will read this warning and know I am telling you the truth. That's because they are the "well respected Dutch Hunters" I am referring to. Many no longer post here, at least under their old names. If I sound bitter, it's because I am. Being lied to by people you trust will do that to you.

On the other hand, I have made many friends over the decades who will be close for the rest of my life. Dutch Hunting can be immensely rewarding. You will see some of the most wild and beautiful country in Arizona. Sitting around a campfire with your family and friends as the moon rises over the mountains creates a stirring chorus from Brother Coyote. It's something you will never forget.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
billp
Greenhorn

Re: Saguaro Blowdown & Obie's Camp

Post by billp »

Lost of rain and wind??? YES. I was in 2nd Water Canyon on Saturday and I was amazed at the number of "blow down" saguaros...like dozens of mature green saguaros fell over last week. We hiked up to one of the Question Mark mines...not sure if it was #1 or #2, but it was filled with rain water. Then, we hiked down the "Stoker Trail" to his camp. Randy previously posted some photos in the photo gallery that showed the old, faint trail going right through 2 large saguaro's...they fell down last week too.

Question...for Joe: When was your uncle mining in the area and when did he maintain his camp above 2nd Water Spring. I hiked the main 2nd Water trail many times in the early '70's, but I never knew his camp was over there.

Comment...for Randy: we even found the same skull at Obie's camp that you are holding in the picture.
Attachments
blowdown along Obie Stoker Mine trail
blowdown along Obie Stoker Mine trail
100_1836.JPG (130.72 KiB) Viewed 22064 times
djui5
Expert

Re: Saguaro Blowdown & Obie's Camp

Post by djui5 »

billp wrote:faint trail going right through 2 large saguaro's...they fell down last week too.
:cry: :cry:
Comment...for Randy: we even found the same skull at Obie's camp that you are holding in the picture.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari