Roberts Family

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Ozarker
Part Timer

Roberts Family

Post by Ozarker »

Exactly why is it that we can not resolve what either Glover or Corbin state about the Roberts Family?

Ozarker
Roger
Part Timer

Roberts Family???

Post by Roger »

Ozarker,

Could you add a little more detail to your question you posted on the Roberts family?

Roger
Ozarker
Part Timer

Roberts Family?

Post by Ozarker »

Hello Roger:

Well, I’m not even sure where to start. The family historian? Gideon? George Riley? The family farm? Matthew Robert’s relationship to the family? Family familiarity with Dick Holmes? With Jacob Waltz? The discovery of the richest gold mine in California, only to walk away from it for a mere pittance?

Where did any of this information come from? Was it the same source that placed Jacob Waltz in the back of Julia’s store? That had Christina Morrell interviewing Rhiney in 1933?

Who was Bertie Roberts? Did she even exist? Glover didn’t seem to think so. Corbin did.

Who was Margaret Roberts? Did she even exist? Corbin didn’t seem to think so. Glover did.

Who was the aunt that passed all this information along? Did she even exist? If so, did the information get modified after it left her hands?

How does Gideon O. Roberds (not Roberts) fit into all of this? He owned a lot just one block south and one block west of Julia’s in 1891 (his sister owned it for about 8 years before that). He was from Trinidad, in Las Animas County, Colorado, but spent every winter in Phoenix. He was a miner by trade. Dick Holmes’ lot was just south of his, but at a different time. Is it possible that Gideon O. Roberds and Gideon O. Roberts histories are getting confused, either mistakenly or intentionally? (For comparison, see Glover, page 199)

(BTW, Gideon Roberds lived until 1903).

Did Gideon Roberts even exist? If so, did he die in 1891? Who buried Gideon Roberts? Where was he buried? Where did the reference to the Pioneer Cemetery in Phoenix come from? When did that reference first come to light?

I guess my original question was one of frustration. I really didn’t expect any answers as there are none apparent. Even the questions above have no ready answers. It’s just another path of research that leaves me wondering whether there is any merit to some of the LDM backstory, and whether the Roberts family has been woven into the story through someone’s imagination.

Oh well.

Larry
azmula
Part Timer

Roberts Family

Post by azmula »

I've seen answers to those questions here in this forum. There is one individual who has all the Roberts Family History and can respond accurately.

azmula
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I had the chance to walk the pioneer cemetery with Aurum and I believe he showed me Gideon Roberts grave or it was another Roberts family member. We were actually tracking down my relatives and he was sharing a lot of info as we walked back to Waltzs grave. He even showed me a plot that had been mistaken originally as Waltzs.

I will try to get down for the next open house and check on it.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Roberts......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Larry,

I have no idea where you are going with this topic, but can assure you that Sarah (Bertie) Roberts did exist. There are plenty of documents to back up that statement, some of which I have copies of.

I would suggest you ask Dr. Glover why he used Margaret, instead of Sarah. I have, and received a reasonable answer. I will leave it to Thomas to speak for himself.

Azmula has written: "There is one individual who has all the Roberts Family History and can respond accurately."

I would be very surprised to see that "individual" respond to your attack.

If you have questions, why not email him directly rather than on a public forum? Trying to tie the entire Roberts family history into the Alkire story
is, IMHO, short sighted and totally unfair.

While I could provide the documentation you seek, I will leave that to others. This will be my only post on this topic.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: Roberts Family

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Larry.

"This will be my only post on this topic."

It would seem that another post is in order. That being the case, I would like to publicly apologize to you.

Kraig,

When you read this, as I know you will, please give me a call or send me an email. I need to talk to you.

Take care,

Joe