djui5
Expert

Re: 2009 rendezvous

Post by djui5 »

I'd be happy to have you Von. :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Got home a little while ago and finally took a minute to check the forum. Just wanted to add my thanks to everyone who helped put the Rendezvous together as well as those old and new friends I got to see. It's too long of a list to put all the names there, so I'll just leave it as is - you know who you are and have my thanks!

I only had a bit over a week this year to hike and explore, but I did almost everything I set out to do. Explored a couple areas near Fish Creek, spent a couple days around the Massacre Grounds with a friend, took a VERY long hike on Friday and filled the rest of my time with research and reading the best collection of Superstition/LDM history in the world.

I'm going to put some photos up in the members photo section later this week after I sort through them - nothing "amazing," but got a few nice shots.

I'm already working on a list of a few things to do if I can swing another trip out there next spring. Still gotta get that hike in with Randy and Wayne sometime, although I fear I won't be able to keep up with their pace!

Talk to you all later.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Cubfan64 wrote:Got home a little while ago and finally took a minute to check the forum. Just wanted to add my thanks to everyone who helped put the Rendezvous together as well as those old and new friends I got to see. It's too long of a list to put all the names there, so I'll just leave it as is - you know who you are and have my thanks!

I only had a bit over a week this year to hike and explore, but I did almost everything I set out to do. Explored a couple areas near Fish Creek, spent a couple days around the Massacre Grounds with a friend, took a VERY long hike on Friday and filled the rest of my time with research and reading the best collection of Superstition/LDM history in the world.

I'm going to put some photos up in the members photo section later this week after I sort through them - nothing "amazing," but got a few nice shots.

I'm already working on a list of a few things to do if I can swing another trip out there next spring. Still gotta get that hike in with Randy and Wayne sometime, although I fear I won't be able to keep up with their pace!

Talk to you all later.
Oh, I also got to see a couple white nosed Coati during one of my hikes and got a nice photo of a juvenile one.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

he wasn't pleased to see me - and his mom/dad wasn't either but at least he stuck around while I fumbled for my camera

novice
Expert

Post by novice »

I just wanted to add my thanks and congratulations to those who worked on this year’s rendezvous. (A special thank you to Randy and Wayne) It would have been hard to top!. I missed the hike but I sure heard some great stories (The mine is only about 10 minutes away!).

I was looking forward to meeting and listening to Clay but unfortunatley he was unable to attend. I think almost everyone else who indicated they were coming showed up. There were a lot of surprises also.

What a delightful person Bob Corbin is! We were standing in the dark, in the middle of the parking lot about 10:30 Saturday night and we were discussing Adolph Ruth. Bob passed on the story told to him by Cal Boyce regarding Boyce having Adolph’s map. After we beat that story to death, Bob said “None of us know what really happened and that is why we are all standing here in the middle of the night enjoying the company and swapping opinions.”

Bob had earlier stated in his presentation that he hoped the Dutchman would never be found and that perhaps his grandson would also search for the mine someday. If he does, he will have a leg up and a great mentor in Bob.

I look forward to seeing some of the pictures and maybe hearing some of the stories, I missed.

Garry
Roger
Part Timer

Post by Roger »

Finally got back from Phoenix and my junk unpacked and a few pressing chores done. I would also give a big THANKS to Wayne, Randy, and Greg for again making all the arrangements for the Rendezvous and getting speakers lined up for Friday and Saturday night. The Dons Camp is a great place to hold the Rendezvous with ample camping areas, restrooms, and a great ramada for the evening talks.

Would also like to thank Joe and Carolyn for their sharing his campsite, feeding me his special stew w/bread Friday night, sharing his grill for Saturday night's steak, and sausage gravy with biscuits for two morning meals. And a special thanks to Carolyn for nuking my baked potato in her microwave. All this sure makes camping out easy!!

The speakers were super again this year. Thomas Glover did an excellent talk on how Arizona apportioned out the land lots in Phoenix under Federal laws and how that led Jacob Waltz to settling on "school land". Was a lot more complex than I would have guessed. Bob Corbin shared some very interesting stories about his experiences in Dutch Hunting and some of the characters he had to deal with as Arizona Attorney General. Bob Schoose and Virginia Peralta told of their research on the Peralta family history and placing a family commerative plaque at the church in Arizpe, Mex. Jesse Feldman talked about his new book, Jacob's Trail, and told everyone exactly where the LDM is located (get to digging!) plus a few other speakers. Also, sitting around camp and talking Dutchman with these individuals and the rest of the Dutch Hunter community is well worth the trip to Arizona each year. Was great to see old friends and meet some new ones.

Also spent a few days backpacking plus I spent nearly six days doing a deep dive into Greg's collection which left me nearly brain dead at the end! Did find some interesting things in that research - I highly recommend everyone that can to visit Greg and look at his collection - it is extensive and well organized!!!

A great event and look forward to 2010!

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

Hope all is well in Texas, as I know you are having a tough time down there now. Our prayers go out to the families and the people who lost their lives.

You have been there every year since our first Rendezvous and we look forward to seeing you return each year. Randy and Wayne are doing a great job at keeping the Rendezvous alive, and I trust it will continue for many years to come.

Believe our menu has remained the same throughout. Carolyn and I enjoy seeing the friendships that are made and renewed in out camp each year. We like to make things comfortable, and conversation the main course.

Hope to do it all over again next year and look forward to seeing our old, and new, friends in camp again.

Thank you for your kind words.

Take care,

Joe & Carolyn
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Wayne - I almost considered trying to stuff this in my suitcase as a souvenir, but decided against it and left it there. If you want to take a hike sometime and get it, let me know and I'll send you the coordinates.

djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Wayne,
You should mount it to the hood of the Explorer and when the wife asks about it say "what?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

There does not seem to be much life left in this critter, maybe it would make a better mount for Wayne's Explorer:

8O :lol:

Take care,

Joe
von_kidd
Greenhorn

Post by von_kidd »

I found the skull and horns of a desert bighorn, minus the jaw. The horns go only half-circle. I don't have a truck to mount it on, and somebody would probably steal it if I mounted it on the handlebars of my mountain bike!

Von
"The treasure is in the searching."
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Joe!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

von_kidd wrote:I found the skull and horns of a desert bighorn, minus the jaw. The horns go only half-circle. I don't have a truck to mount it on, and somebody would probably steal it if I mounted it on the handlebars of my mountain bike!

Von
Von - now THAT I would love to see :) You'd certainly make some people take a second and third look!! In case I forgot to say it, it was great meeting you and I hope to see you out there again next year! How did you get interesting in the LDM saga btw?
SGnAZ
Greenhorn

Post by SGnAZ »

The Rendevous was a good time,wish I could have been there on saturday.
Joe,Kathi and i want to thank you and Carolyn for a wonderful dinner friday night and Roger,the salad was tasty as well.
It was nice to see everybody.
Have a good day.
Steve
von_kidd
Greenhorn

Post by von_kidd »

I've always been an outdoorsy kind of person and have had an adventuresome spirit, but I've never been able to persue that as much as I'd like to have done. A couple friends of mine got me into gold panning while I was living in California. Another friend showed me a hollow boulder out in the desert, in the midst of an area strewn with them. This one had a low entrance you had to crawl through. Once inside you could stand upright, and there were "Indian pictographs" on the ceiling and walls. We soon found out in the library that they were Spanish treasure symbols! They told of a covered mine and five places something was buried along a route that started at the mine. That led to researching into local history and hunting for the mine, which we never found.
After I moved out here to Phoenix in September of 1989, I started reading everything I could get my hands on about the Lost Dutchman Mine, both pro and con. I stopped counting after I'd read 35 different books, old newspaper clippings and magazine articles. I started going out into the Superstitions with a couple of Dutch hunters I met, back in 1993. I've been going out into those mountains ever since. The two guys I originally was going out there with and I had a falling out. Later I ran into one of them and he told me that he'd had a falling out with the other guy as well, and they'd gone their seperate ways.
The next group of guys I started going into the mountains with were more interested in partying and not as serious about hunting the mine as I would have liked. None of them have ever even done any really serious researching into the mine. I've got nothing against partying, but I'm not really into partying myself. I've been clean and sober my entire life, I've never touched drugs of any kind or alcohol. I've never even smoked. But I've got no problem spending time with friends and drinking sodas while they drink alcohol ----as long as they can maintain. Out of the mountains whenever I decided I needed a break from them I'd disappear for a couple weeks or so before I'd show up again. These same guys and I had our own falling out a couple years back, and we're just recently getting back together again. I'll still go into the mountains with them on occasional trips, but they're not the ideal partners for that.

Von
"The treasure is in the searching."
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Send it along Paul, I will make a hat of the critter and have Randy model it.....

Made a solo trip this weekend without ole Randy and will be back out there thursday.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"