Current info

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
James Raymond
Greenhorn

Current info

Post by James Raymond »

Does anyone know if either Magil or any of his party are still alive and if they can be contacted. Also now that you can no longer legally mine on Forest service land are people still doing it. What is the best book to read on the mine. Thanks
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Glenn died years ago.

There is one individual who was of Magills later search group who posted on a different site years ago with a few stories about Glenn. I don't know if he is still around.

Gene Reynolds did some work for Glenn concerning the Borrego mountain area and knew him. Some of Genes posts are on this site and he has a cd book for sale. I know Gene was possibly moving to the area last fall, but Joe or one of the others will have to fill you in. I haven't heard from Gene since before the last rendezvous.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
djui5
Expert

Re: Current info

Post by djui5 »

James Raymond wrote:Also now that you can no longer legally mine on Forest service land are people still doing it.
No.
What is the best book to read on the mine. Thanks
All of them 8O Every book has info in it you probably won't find in other books, so read them all.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Randy,

You saying no one has done any mining in the wilderness area?

I always suggest getting a copy of the Bark notes, which covers a lot of ground and is one of the earliest reliable accountings.

Glovers "Dream" is hard to find anymore at a reasonable price, but Corbins Bible is still on bookshelves.

I think of the material as what is essential for a good overview and depending on personal taste and/or beliefs, its hard to make any single pick over what I consider the canon of the LDM.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

zentull wrote:Randy,

You saying no one has done any mining in the wilderness area?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

You getting hush money or something?
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Ok, I should know the answer to this, and I actually thought I did, but the more I investigated it, the less sure I became...

Exactly what did the 1983 ruling regarding mineral prospecting in the Superstition Wilderness entail?

I know that as of 1983, no more claims could be filed, but are there still pre-1983 valid claims being maintained and in effect? If so, can any work be done on them by manual hammer/pick?

I believe I heard that no panning of any kind can be done within the wilderness area - is that true also?

I tried to do a little investigating, but I kept finding conflicting information.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

zentull wrote:You getting hush money or something?
my thoughts also...
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Valid Claims.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

I could be wrong, but I seem to rember something about claims having to produce something of value by a certain date, or becoming invalid. I don't believe there are any valid claims left in the Wilderness Area.

The man who would probably know the answer to the question is, Scott Wood. Scott is the Chief Archaeologist for Tonto National Forest.

[email protected]

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

There were folks still holding those earlier claims and doing improvement work up to 2000. I don't know if any of those are worked on anymore after what happened with the Crawford situation. I doubt you could win a case even if the claim produced something. Of course the limitations are there now of what you could do to improve the claim.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

wow, who's suprised joie forgot his own lost dutchman and the digging and pollution...
forgot the bragging about how you and your friends risked your lives and law to extract...well..you never said what you dug illegally in the wilderness did you?
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Pip's Folly.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Little pip,

I am really glad that you have guided those who have not read my thread, back to the beginning. Somewhere on this site, you threatened to have the authorities knocking at my door, over your misguided belief that I had anything to do with that little dig.

As I have said many times, I have never been to that site. I assume that if you ever did follow through on your empty threat, someone who could understand what they read, realized that you were creating this whole fiction inside your brain-pan.

Please continue with your little fantasy, as I imagine those who understand the written word are getting a huge laugh at your antics.

I am more convinced today than I was when this information was first given to me, that the mine in question is the LDM. Sorry I can't share the reasons for that with you pip, but you tend to leap off every cliff that I have provided for you.

Once again, many thanks for supporting my topic.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Still piping Along....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

pip,

Forgot to mention that your posts had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. Have someone read, and explain what I wrote. Never mind, I will try to help you out......again. My post only concerned LEGAL claims. That dig, as you correctly pointed out, was illegal from start to finish.

Thanks again for generating some more interest in my topic. I would try to return the favor, but topics authored by you are a bit scarce. :wink:

Joe Ribaudo
SGnAZ
Greenhorn

Post by SGnAZ »

zentull wrote:

I always suggest getting a copy of the Bark notes,
Where can I find/purchase a copy of these notes?
Thanks
Steve
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

zentull wrote:You getting hush money or something?
I wish, I could use some. Wanna build a rock crawler 8O
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Gene was there

Post by Gene Reynolds »

From the files of Borrego 13 , Gene Was there in October, I saw him. Although he seemed a little agravated because he had a major stroke 10 minutes after he arived in Apache Junction......... however he is doing as well as he can, concidering all....... some knew of the situation and did nothing , while others were to far away. However , he found the strength to drive back to Ga, and to the hopital, ................ he is still in Ga. now
he said to tell everyone hello but that his days on the internet are over...

Signed ,,,,,, someone from the past
Writer of Borrego 13
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

:(
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
SGnAZ
Greenhorn

Re: Gene was there

Post by SGnAZ »

Gene Reynolds wrote:From the files of Borrego 13 , Gene Was there in October, I saw him. Although he seemed a little agravated because he had a major stroke 10 minutes after he arived in Apache Junction......... however he is doing as well as he can, concidering all....... some knew of the situation and did nothing , while others were to far away. However , he found the strength to drive back to Ga, and to the hopital, ................ he is still in Ga. now
he said to tell everyone hello but that his days on the internet are over...

Signed ,,,,,, someone from the past
Now wait a minute,I don't know who Gene is and I'm sorry he's not well but,he has a stroke in Az and nobody helps,doesn't go to a hospital here and then drives himself back to Ga to seek medical help :?: Last I heard,when someone has a stroke,and a MAJOR one at that,that person isn't in any condition to do much of anything,let alone drive cross country.This is a very unusual post :roll:
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Gene Reynolds.....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Gene called me the night he arrived in Apache Junction. He told me he had a bad stroke when he arrived. He was calling from his motel room, and I advised him to check into a hospital......at once.

He refused to do that, as he had too much gear in the back of his pick-up.
I tried to convince him it was the best thing to do, but Gene would not budge.

There were many people in Apache Junction that he could have called, and did not. I suggested that he do that.

Gene has had a long battle with failing health, and I wish him well.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
JIM HAMRICK
Part Timer

current info

Post by JIM HAMRICK »

Mr. Reynolds or someone who might read this to him

You do have my sympathy for the stroke, the confusion and other effects that that go with it. With much work frustration and medicine you can come back close to a normal life.

For those of you whom have never had a stroke, I hope you never do, many times there is precursor stroke before the main one and this may be hours or days before. When I had a stroke I had a precursor with my right arm loosing all control, that lasted for close to an hour. Now being a tough old man, I thought, I ignored this and several days later I had a full stroke.

My point is that if Mr. Reynolds had a mini stroke it might be several days before the major stroke occurred which apparently has sent him to the hospital he could have the time to return home.

jim hamrick