Location of the Massacre Grounds/Site

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Cubfan64
Expert

Location of the Massacre Grounds/Site

Post by Cubfan64 »

I'm doing some last minute organizing for my trip and one of the places I haven't visited yet is the Massacre Grounds area. I don't have time while at work right now to do any searching, but if I recall there has been some discussion both here and on the other forum about the real location of the Massacre area and I was hoping someone could give me some coordinates to check out. I have the "Hiker's Guide," so I can follow the trail that it describes, but I'm hoping there may be some "off the path" locations that are worth visiting and exploring while I'm in that vicinity.

If I remember correctly, I think Randy had posted some photos and a good description of where to go, but I think it might have been on the other forum and I can't find it right now.

Even if all you can do is give me some rough coordinates or post a topo map with the area circled or something that would be a help. Thanks
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

i read somewhere that the massacre ground was 1/4 mile west of the head of first water creek.
that places the grounds directly at the foot of the main mountain. the area of dj's photos is commonly know as the massacre grounds.

my personal belief is that the entire valley to the west of first water creek should be included.

i believe that like many massacre's, the area is larger than we suppose, as the people did not stand in one spot an allow the apahe to kill them.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

oops...insert Apache in the misspelled portion of previous post.
not enough coffee today.

oh..cubbie..bring long underware, there has been a cold snap.
Roger
Part Timer

Massacre Grounds GPS Coordinates

Post by Roger »

Cubfan, think this is the posting you were looking for.

Roger

sluicebox
Part Timer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a note for anyone who is interested in a trip to the massacre grounds. Peter and I have posponed our trip there until next Sunday. Peter introduced me to the idea of hiking in after a rain to store water, so today became a water storage day instead of the massacre grounds hike. We also thought that postponing the trip would give other forum members who wanted to make the trip a chance to plan on coming along. If anyone else is interested, just leave a PM.

If you can't make it Sunday and are going solo another time, the GPS readings I took last Friday will get you to the two boulders pictured in Dr Glover's book. That would be N33 27.512, W111 27.410. Regards, Larry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Peter......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

Speaking of Peter, today is the first time I have been unable to open his site, no matter how many times I hit the refresh tab. The problem seems to be getting worse, rather than better.

Hard to imagine that the people who built the site can't get it fixed. Anyone know what's going on?

See you at the Rendeavous,

Joe
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

I can still get on there by hitting the F5 button numerous times, but nobody's posted anything there for awhile now. It's too hard to do any searches because each time I try, I then have to hit the F5 button a bunch of times again to get the next page to load, etc...

Last I heard from Wayne is that Peter's trying to get it fixed, but it's not that simple and he has alot of things going on in "real life" as well.

I'm sure we can harass him next week :)
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Last word was it should be restored tonight.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

zentull wrote:Last word was it should be restored tonight.
No dice :) It's still not working.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari