2008 rendezvous

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

2008 rendezvous

Post by zentull »

As we begin to approach the Rendezvous scheduled October 24th 25th 26th at the Dons camp one of the first things I would like to ask everyone is about the Saturday hike.

Greg has put forward hikes to either the Apache Kids cave or Chuck Crawfords mines in Barks canyon.

Any other ideas?
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
lazarus
Expert

Hike

Post by lazarus »

Zen,

as you know, I generally have no use for the 'group hike', so my opinion on the subject is of no value. However, as I recall, you had mentioned us playing a few songs together around the campsite. I have been playing regularly, so I am in fine shape. Let me know if this is something you are still interested in.

Laz
(Brad)

By the way...
the mood has been quite pleasant around here (the forum) during the last week or so. I hope it can continue this way.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Shouldn't be a problem...........look forward to it.

Just no spandex for you...............
lazarus
Expert

Zen

Post by lazarus »

Zen,

I thought you'd be glad I'm wearing cloths at all!

I'll ditch the cod-piece too, I guess.
Laz
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Yeah....kind of gave that a thought afterwards and banished it before a visual could take hold.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Hmm...What about a hike down the "dutchman trail" around the mountain to Monument Canyon? We could check out the "house" there.

zentull wrote:Yeah....kind of gave that a thought afterwards and banished it before a visual could take hold.

Too late for me:

Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Here is the official invite Randy and I have sent off:

The 4th annual Dutch Hunter rendezvous is scheduled this year on October 24th, 25th and 26th at the Dons camp just off Peralta road before the Peralta trailhead parking lot.Last years event featured a tour of the Quarter Circle U ranch, a presentation by Jack San Felice, a hike to the Dacite mine with Greg Davis and a presentation by the historical law enforcement group "The Arizona Rangers".

Guests in attendance featured Ron Feldman, Jack Carlson, Thomas Glover, Jim Wilson, Ken and Nancy McCullough(Tex Barkleys grand daughter), historian Matthew Roberts and Jack San Felice. Also attending were a number of contributors to Historical society journals, LDM forums and friends and families of Dutch Hunters from the past.

This year we will be joined by a special guest in the person of Mr Clay Worst on Friday evening. Greg Davis will be leading a hike to the Crawford mines in Barks canyon on Saturday.

Everyone is welcome to camp at the site free of charge. Camp sites are first come, first served. The Dons camp has toilet facilities, but no water. All campfires must be in contained areas. All equestrian trailers should be parked in the upper lot, straight ahead on the road through the main gate. Please pack out all litter and keep the camp areas clean. As in the past everyone is welcomed to the campfire at the main Ramada each night.

The camp is located off route 60 at the Peralta road turnoff, between Apache Junction and Florence Junction.

Please join us as we celebrate the history and legacy of the Superstition mountains and the Lost Dutchman Mine.

Sincerely,
Wayne Tuttle and Randy Wright
SGnAZ
Greenhorn

Post by SGnAZ »

Is the Rendevous open to anyone? My wife and I would love to attend.Can a 22 foot trailer make it to the campground? Also is there a fee to attend?
Thanks,Steve.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

The rendezvous is free and everyone is welcome to attend. There is an upper and lower camp area. The camp sites are first come, first serve. There are restrooms, but no running water or electricity. All fires have to be in pre existing fire pits or portable grills, etc....

The time of the gates opening is still up in the air. I will be in early Friday, but Randy may open the gate for the really early birds the night before if possible.

Horses need to be in the upper camp area. There are small ramadas for camp sites in the north end of the lower camp and the southern end has several areas for RVs and trailers.

The only thing we ask as far as schedules go is that everyone attend the Friday/Saturday evening campfires. Otherwise you can follow your own schedule as you wish.
SGnAZ
Greenhorn

Post by SGnAZ »

Thank you for the info.
Will directions be posted on this site?
Thanks again.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Take the 60 out of Apache Junction towards Florence. There is signage for the Peralta trailhead which is on the East side of the road. You pass through a subdivision and past an elementary school before the pavement ends and the road is a well graded dirt road for the rest of the trip. The only crossing you will come to is a fork: straight ahead goes to the Quarter Circle U and the left road which proceeds uphill leads to the Peralta trailhead and Dons camp. There is signage at that fork.

We will have signs posted at the fork and at the turn off to the left for the Dons camp. The Dons camp entrance is at the end of the parking lot to the north and proceeds through the Dons gate.

The Dons camp is clearly marked on topo maps for the area.

If you go past the Dons camp, you will see it to the left as you proceed to the Peralta trailhead. You can turn around at the trailhead parking lot and find it easily.

If arriving at night you proceed through the gate and the upper camp area is straight ahead and to the right. If you proceed to the north end of this area you will be overlooking the amphitheatre area.

The turn off to the lower camp is around 50 yards to the left and downhill. You will see the Restrooms first at the base of the hill and the Main ramade directly afterwards to your right.

RV and trailer parking is to the left.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Here is a map of the Don's camp itself:

Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

ya gonna have a firefall?
:D

i guess that is all kinds of illegal these days...

hope you guys have fun.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Pippin,

I believe once the forestry service stopped the firefall it was the beginning of the end of the Dons trek. I suppose most everyone can see what it was like, but for those of us who attended back in the day....it was a pretty cool event.

Hard to imagine the amphitheatre full and the Dons leading the folks out the trail. I can picture it, but it's hard to explain. Seeing the Amphitheatre run down, the lighting rigs falling apart......it was a little sad.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Don's Camp.....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wayne,

Considering the growth of the Rendezvous, it seems altogether possible that the Don's Camp could see some resurgence in popularity. Perhaps not to the level it once was, but at least still a living, breathing part of LDM history. You guys are doing a great job of making that happen.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Rendezvous.....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Steve,

Carolyn and I always get to the Rendezvous on Thursday and Randy has been kind enough to make sure the gate is unlocked. If we can get away from our businesses, we will leave for the Don's Camp Thursday morning. At that point, the gate has remained unlocked, and anyone who wants to make an early arrival can do so.

We will fix a group meal for Friday night, and if you and your wife would like to join us, you need only confirm that you will be there. Same goes for anyone else who wants to eat with us. Just let us know ASAP. I always fix more than we need, but it will be first come first served, for those who have let us know in advance. Anything left at that point is open to whoever gets to the pot.

We will also have a gas barbecue set up, and it will be available to anyone who want's to use it. We always have steaks on Saturday night so anyone who wants to grill their own should bring them.

We are looking forward to meeting some new people this year and that includes, you and your wife.

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Joe,

I have been trying to get the Boy Scouts interested in using the facility as well to help protect it through regular use. There were several folks who were camped there last spring as Randy and I came through the Peralta trailhead.

I look forward to the light cleanups with my family preceding the rendezvous. The kids think it is a pretty cool place and I can see it's value for hide and seek.
djui5
Expert

Re: The Don's Camp.....

Post by djui5 »

Joe Ribaudo wrote: You guys are doing a great job of making that happen.

Take care,

Joe
Thanks Joe, it's an honor.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
SGnAZ
Greenhorn

Post by SGnAZ »

Thanks for all of your responses.We look forward to meeting new people as well.This sounds like a great weekend.We will most likely roll in friday morning.
Steve.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

We will be heading over to the Quarter Circle U on Friday between 3 and 4 PM. Howard said once again they will be bringing cattle in, so it's an added treat. He asked that like last year we come over as a group since his hands will be busy.......I have extended the invitation to them to our campfires Friday and Saturday night.

Please take care on the road as the semis will be bringing the cattle in that day as well.
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

I solved my transportation issues (the Cruiser will be just fine) so I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Even, you... pops.

Laz
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Stew Again.....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

We considered doing Italian this year, but decided it would be too much trouble and would not hold up as well as the stew.

I will have stew for around twenty people, along with garlic toast. Roger has mentioned that he would like to bring salad again.

Our BBQ will be available for anyone who wants to use it. It's gas, so it will always be ready.

Any ladies who would like to use our restroom will be welcome to do so.

Right now, Carolyn and I will arrive late Thursday afternoon. Once we get there, the gate will remain open for others, if the last two years is any indication.

Randy,

If you are unable to unlock the gate for us, please let me know and I will make other arrangements.

Looking forward to seeing some new faces and rekindling old friendships. That is the true purpose of the LDM Rendezvous.....along with finding out who is the latest person to find the LDM. 8O

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Friday Night......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Forgot to mention. The stew will be available Friday night.....until it's gone. If you come in late, and we have some left, it's yours.

We always grill steaks on the last night in camp, which will be Saturday, so anyone who wants to bring there own is welcome to join us. We will have extra drinking water and room in our ice chests for those who need it.

If you have a few pieces of firewood, you might bring that as well.

See you there,

Joe & Carolyn
djui5
Expert

Re: Stew Again.....

Post by djui5 »

Joe Ribaudo wrote: Randy,

If you are unable to unlock the gate for us, please let me know and I will make other arrangements.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe ole buddy,
I'll be able to let you in. I'm off Thur :) Trying to get Sat off so I can join the crew but it's not set in stone yet.

Don't worry, I won't need a baby sitter this year :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really look forward to seeing everyone again. It's been too long.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Just got a call from Ken and Nancy. They are just getting settled in and will be attending again. Nancy hopes to get some of the kids to drive them out so they can stay later Friday evening this year.

I think it was the lure of Joe's stew that sealed the deal.........