Randy,

You seat is reserved. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Thanks for the offer Joe but I have plans already.

I am planning on Bison and Elk. You will have to fight the dog for scraps.....
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

To put things in perspective:

139 years ago Waltz settled in the Phoenix townsite

140 years ago Jim Bark was born

68 years ago Barry Storm published "Trail of the Lost Dutchman"

74 years ago Herman Petrasch passed away

64 years ago Rhinehart Petrasch passed away

88 years ago Julia Thomas passed away

89 years ago Gottfried Petrasch passed away

54 years ago Sims Ely published "The Lost Dutchman Mine"

141 years ago the military raided Garden Valley

130 years ago Jack Minor settled at the present day site of the Quarter Circle U

100 years ago Tex Barkley purchased the Quarter Circle U

116 years ago Jacob Waltz passed away

As we arrive on the anniversary of Jacob waltzs death, those last 3 dates should hold some special meaning for those of us who gather Friday at the Quarter Circle U. I hope everyone takes a moment and thinks of those who stood on the front porch before us: Jim Bark, Sims Ely, Tex Barkley, Brownie Holmes, Adolph Ruth, John Chunning, Barry Storm, Julia Thomas, Rhinehart Petrasch, Abe Reid, Herman Petrasch, Jeff Adams, Gottfried Petrasch, Elisha Reavis, Oren Arnold and perhaps even Waltz himself stopped by..........

As we gather round the evening campfire I am sure we will have good company looking over us.
Roger
Part Timer

2007 Rendezvous

Post by Roger »

Joe, I and my buddy, Wendell, who came to the first Rendezvous, are planning on partaking of your Friday night stew and would like to have a go at your famous biscuits and gravy on Saturday morning if that would be OK. And if your grill has a little room on Saturday night, would like to add our two steaks to the fire.

Wendell will be bringing his guitar again this time and he can add some great Western music to the campfire circle if folks are interested. He may try to sell some of his band's CD's unless I keep him in check!!! (Joking only, but he is part of a band and they have done some CD's).

Looking forward to seeing you and all the Dutch Hunter crowd again this year. I'm certain that there will be "Peace in the Valley" this year.

The Texas Contingent,

Roger & Wendell
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Food.....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

Speaking for Carloyn and myself, you and Wendell will be a welcome edition to this years Rendezvous. I have little doubt others will feel the same way.

I was not sure if I would have the B&G, but I guess two years in a row might qualify as......tradition. :lol: Thought I had replied to your email, but when it comes to my memory, it don't hurt to get a gentle reminder now and then. :?

I will have a gas grill at the event, and it will be available to whoever want's to use it, even those folks from....Texas. :)

So far, not many takers for the free meal, so I assume my reputation precedes me. :lol:

See you there.

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Joe,
It is not your reputation that precedes you in my case.........it is my cuisine that supercedes you.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

As we get closer to the rendezvous more questions are asked and more information is available. I just got off the phone with Rowe Gilbert of the Arizona Rangers Apache Junction group. Several members of that group will be attending and it came as a surprise that Rowe told me several personal stories involving Bob Ward, Tom Kollenborn, Crazy Jake and his experiences in the mountains. Rowe is a member of the Pioneers historical group in Pinal county as well, which is a very lucky addition to our rendezvous this year. He will be stopping by Friday evening on the 26th. I hope everyone makes the Rangers feel welcome over the week end.

Randy has ordered the coffee mugs and confirmed Author Jack San Felice for our Saturday evening campfire. With the Quarter U on Friday and Greg's hike that is offered on Saturday, there should be plenty for all. I am sure Randy could order and put together something for those who want mugs after the rendezvous if he is asked nicely. please make sure you thank Randy for all his efforts, we are not an easy bunch to please and he took a lot of time and effort to coordinate things in Apache Junction.

With that said and done please remember to bring your own water. We will try to bring as much as we can for the ramada area use.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Times.....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wayne,

I am really looking forward to this years event. Even though I am, somewhat, outside the loop this year, it seem like you Randy and Greg are doing a great job of organizing this years Rendezvous.

I hope to be on speaking terms with everyone who attends. I can assure you that I will make the sincere effort to leave the harsh feeling in the distant past.

Once aging, my camp will be open to everyone.

See you there.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

A Message To All Dutch Hunters

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I recently responded to a friend's reluctance to attend this years Rendezvous with this email:

That's an interesting outlook and statement about the Dutch Hunting community. As someone who has been the target of many
"hatchet job(s)" and personal attacks for a number of years now, I think I'm in a unique position to understand your reluctance to attend.
That's one of the major reasons I started the Rendezvous.

I offered to shake everyone's hand at last year's Rendezvous and I will make the same offer this year, hoping I will receive a positive response. That is the very essence of a Rendezvous. People setting their petty wars aside and looking for common ground.

While we think we know our friends, we may miss ever seeing the side they can display when confronted with imagined or real slights by others. That often coalesces into a lifetime of hate. I hope to break that cycle between myself, Peter, and others at the Rendezvous. That will not erase the things that have passed between us, but it might help us understand how it all came to this point.

Wherever we go in this life, we will meet strong personalities with strong opinions. When two or more of them meet in the same time and space, conflicts are the usual outcome. If you look back at the history of Rendezvous' in this country, you will see that those conflicts were set aside for the good of the events.

You can either choose to be part of these historical gatherings or not. If you choose to not be there, it will be our loss.....as well as your own. Many of your friends will be there, gathered around a campfire and swapping lies. I can't imagine how you would miss it. Many of my friends will be there. There is no way I would give serious consideration to not being there with them.

Others are also on the fence about this years Rendezvous. I intend to post this message, with a few minor changes, on the LDM Forum as well as the Treasure Net Forum.

Carolyn and I look forward to seeing you there.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Cell #

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

If anyone has trouble on the road, or has a hard time finding the Don's Camp, we will have the truck cell phone on. The number is: 928-716-8328

I will also have an extra sleeping bag, a small tent and a folding cot, if anyone needs it.

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Randy will be opening the gates this afternoon if anyone is looking to drop off stuff or just get set up early. There should be a few campers to watch things overnight and help out if you need assistance. Look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

Zen
lazarus
Expert

Great Weekend

Post by lazarus »

To all,
this years' rendezvous was the best so far. The turnout was fantastic and the guest speakers were all quite entertaining as well as informative. Hats off to everyone who contributed. My wife and I thank you for a great weekend.

Brad
(Lazarus)
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

It was a blast. I don't things could have went better. Thanks to Brad for bringing in some live music this year.
Bandit
Part Timer

Rendezous

Post by Bandit »

I thank those I met even if it was for a few hours. Greg, Brad, Kevin, Randy,Joe. Thank you.

Jim Wilson
novice
Expert

Rendezvous

Post by novice »

We missed another great Rendezvous. That makes three now. Even though we couldn't be there we want to particularly thank Wayne and Randy for their efforts.

I hope someone plans to post some photos in the member archives for those of us not attending. Also who were the speakers and what were their topics?

I suspect that 50 years from now someone will be wishing that these early meeting were better documented. You may not realize it but these rendezvous will all become part of the LDM story in future years and I fear only limited documentation will survive? Dates, Attendees, Photos, Activities, etc.

Thanks again for everyone’s effort.

Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Rendezvous

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gary,

Hope all is well with you and the wife.

I am hoping to put together one CD of all three Rendezvous'. If everyone will send me a CD of their pictures of this years event, I will send them to David Leach, who has said he will put them together.

Once I get the finished product from Dave, I will mail them to whoever wants one. Send them to:

Joe Ribaudo
2125 McCulloch Blvd. Ste. B
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

There were three planned speakers: Jaack San Felice, Harry, from "Team Feaver" and the Ranger frm the locar arm of the Arizona Rangers.

Others (unplanned) got up and gave short talks as well. My personal opinion was that it was a roaring success. Randy, Wayne and Greg did a great job. There were small gatherings as well as the planned meets at the Big Ramada.

Questions were asked, and answers came from every direction possible.

I don't know how free Greg will be with his recordings, but I believe each of the talks was fully recorded. Perhaps he can be persuaded to compile all three years into one CD and send them to those who request them.

I doubt he would have much trouble getting the money to convert them to CD. I am offering my share right now, and knowing Greg does not have much time for such things, I would also mail them out. :)

Once again, anyone who does not want their picture of such a CD, will need to say so. Your Wish will be honored.

Paul came from New Hampshire, Roger and Wendell came from Texas, Dave Leach from New Mexico and others also travelled a great distance to attend. You need to start making plans for next years Rendezvous...Now. :lol:

Really sorry you and Carol were unable to attend.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

CDs Are Getting Closer......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I received the first production run for the compilation to the first three Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous'. Dave and Tatiana do fantastic work and this finished product will become a collectors item. Only Randy, Paul and Wayne added their pictures to the mix. They all took some excellent pictures, so the CD will not suffer from the lack of participation from others.

Names will be tagged to as many pictures as possible, so I am giving notice.....once again, if you don't want your name on the CD, would prefer only your first name or your Forum names used, you need to let us know. The final product will not be changed before going out to those who want them.

For the most part, we will be sending the CDs to those who request then.

It's not too late to add some pictures, so if those who did not send them are having second thoughts, now's the time. Just a few by email would work just fine. I will forward them to David Leach, or you can send them directly to him.

Take care,

Joe
lazarus
Expert

Photos

Post by lazarus »

Joe,
I have some great photos I wold be willing to contribute. Call me or send me a pm and I'll get them out to you today.

Laz