Booming sounds in the Mountains

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Wiz
Expert

Booming sounds in the Mountains

Post by Wiz »

I've read and heard several accounts of mysterious booming sounds out in the mountains. I've never heard the sounds myself, but I have firsthand accounts from people I trust. Brownie also talked about them, and so did Glover. Anyone have anything to throw in here? Facts, anecdotes, information?
S.C.
Part Timer

Booms...

Post by S.C. »

I have heard them. I heard them last Novemember when I was hiking up around Tortilla Creek and Peters Canyon where the two meet. I heard not just one - but many over time.

Later I read in a couple of places that these "booms" are most prevalent in the Peters Canyon area.

To me, what they sounded like was a 55 gallon drum of water being dropped onto a very hard concrete surface. But not just one sound. It was like two or three back to back - "Boom," "Boom"
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

I have heard a rumble...not boom. It sounded like a low flying jet-liner overhead. This was near the 2nd Water/Marsh Valley area.
nicoh
Greenhorn

Post by nicoh »

I've only heard (and seen, on occasion) people shooting. The sounds you guys have heard aren't 30-06s or 50cals or some other big guns going off in the distance? Are they that much louder, or bassy than big guns?
n
S.C.
Part Timer

More on Booms...

Post by S.C. »

I have heard gun shots in that environment. What I heard was not that. Nor heavy machinery at a distance. The "booms" had a bassy feel. Like penetrating. As if right there - but at the same time - as if at a distance. That is why I know it was not the distant sound of power tools or a factory or guns shots.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

S.C., I believe you are describing the sounds I'm talking about. I don't know of any explanation that has ever been offered for them, but I believe they've been reported for at least a century.
Ron
Part Timer

booms in the mountains

Post by Ron »

I have heard them also, and they are always from the Peters area,What I have been told by geologists is that it is a fault which runs through that area that shifts and displaces itself.
Lone_Wolf
Greenhorn

Post by Lone_Wolf »

I'm just finding all kinds of things to comment on here tonight. Either I've been holding in for too long or it is my New years Cheer I am enjoying in the safety of my own home that is limbering up my fingers! :roll:

Yeah I have heard (and felt) those boomers! UP CLOSE! I was camped at the junction of Pistol and Peters Canyon one night about 10 yrs ago and thought I was gonna be rousted clear out of my tent!

It started out as a low rumble like a far away train approching and steadily increased to a point that I thought the train was gonna run right through my camp! It finally climaxed in a very loud boom like thunder that shook the ground and echoed up and down the canyon several times.

I didn't like it and have never pitched a tent there again!

Think I'll fix me another New years drink and look around for another topic I can jump in on <Hiccup> :oops:

LW