NEW CORBIN BOOK

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

NEW CORBIN BOOK

Post by zentull »

I was a bit curious if anyone else had picked up the new book by Helen Corbin yet. I was surprised to see it just sitting on a book shelf, I didnt think it was out yet. This was last friday. I am on my third go around with it .
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Not yet, I'm waiting for mine to arrive. Three times already? What do you think of it?
azmula
Part Timer

New Corbin Book

Post by azmula »

Deleted
Last edited by azmula on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

Good point. Maybe the individuals were not agreeable to having material printed. Maybe if the end result was known they would not have voluntered anything in the first place.
azmula
Part Timer

CORBIN'S BOOK

Post by azmula »

Deleted
Last edited by azmula on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I ACTUALLY ENJOYED THE BOOK, AS IT WAS PREFERABLY FACTUAL AND KEPT A LOT OF THE INNUENDOS AND FABRICATED STORIES TO A MINIMUM. I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A COMPANION PIECE TO THE "CURSE", BUT IT IS MORE OF A REVISION WITH ADDITIONAL MATERIAL. I TOO EXPECTED SOMETHING MORE FROM BOB CORBIN ON HIS THOUGHTS PERTAINING TO MUCH OF THE INFO AS WELL AS TOM KOLLENBORN. IT IS SOMEWHAT HAPHAZARD AND WANDERS OFF SIDELINES OCCASIONALLY,BUT I ACTUALLY ENJOYED MUCH OF THE BACKGROUND INFO AND THE HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVES. IT DOES SEEM TO PUT A LOT OF REFERENCE AT EASY ACCESS BUT STILL WORKS AS A COMPANION PIECE WITH THE PRIOR WORK.DONT KNOW WHY BUT MY LAST POST WENT AWRY.
Ron
Part Timer

Helen Corbin's book

Post by Ron »

I have not seen the book on the shelf yet. Where was it that someone mentioned it was? The last time I called the museum , they did not have it.
S.C.
Part Timer

It is out now

Post by S.C. »

Ron,

I think the Museum bookstore just got them a few days ago.

I believe the usual mail order places have them available now as well, amazon.com, the publisher (Wolfe - Prescott), etc.

S.C.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

I received mine from the Publisher. Wish I just decided to re-read her "Curse" book instead. Same info in the new book dressed up with some old time diaries..most of which have nothing to do with a hidden gold mine. Most of the photos presented have been seen before. I am scratching my head wondering how the auhor KNOWS that the fellow in the middle of the picture in the ice cream parlor is Jacob Waltz. There are so many "assumptions" of the historical truth..I just can not fathom how someone writing an objective historical book can "assume" something as historical fact.

I wont even comment on the Apache chapter, except to say it
was pointless, inaccurate, disjointed and an insult to my intelligence. What the Camp Grant Massacre has to do with the LDM is beyond me, yet several pages of the book are devoted to it. Of course, if she was attempting to explain the Apache notion of revenge...she missed the point entirely. The revenge notion of the Apache is best explained by what Eskiminzin did AFTER the massacre (read your history books..hint: is has something to do with a rancher named McKinney....) Point I am making here is she spent 3 pages on Camp Grant and not 1 sentence on why it was important from a cultural pretext. Just doesnt make sense.

Oops sorry..I see I DID comment on the Apache chapter.Forgive me...just cant shut me up about my specialty...lol