Fire Closures

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
S.C.
Part Timer

Fire Closures

Post by S.C. »

Please forgive me for the being one of those "out of state" people - and somewhat ignorant about what is going on at the Superstition Wilderness... But, i noticed in Ron's post on the treasure trove that there was a Forest Servie Fire Closure. What is closed at this time? Is it only certain areas? Surely not the entire Wilderness Area... I knew it was dry and there were warnings about fires. But are areas closed down because of this?
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Yes, the entire wilderness is closed. All of Tonto National Forest is closed except for the chain of lakes north of the Superstitions and a couple of other spots. You absolutely would not believe how dry it is out here! On one hand I object to restrictions like that, but on the other hand I see morons throwing their cigarette butts out their car windows every day. The whole state is a disaster just waiting to happen.
Ron
Part Timer

Fire restrictions

Post by Ron »

Yes Wiz, but isn't it nice to be ruled and controlled on the basis of what some moron would do? Just to add a little personal note here, because of the closure they have shut down almost every recreational business in the State , including ours in Pine, whereas we were allowed to be open during closures in the past. We still took rides with no threat to the forest, and in fact were monitors , actually putting out two smoldering campfires and one cigarette two years ago during closure. The Forest Service has essentially hurt many of us in these business, while the Sunday morning paper headlines states ," Arizona's Economy Lagging". So this is a big blow to Arizona also. They have just gotten hysterical with their " chicken little "thinking. The State is in serious condition, we as outfitters could help in this plight. If you happen to agree , call the Forest Service.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

No, it's not nice to be restricted on the basis of the morons. Nor is it nice that your business is suffering. But if the morons would police themselves maybe this wouldn't have happened. Your business in Pine would not benefit from burning down. I don't say I approve; I say I understand.
S.C.
Part Timer

Disappointing...

Post by S.C. »

So, what is it going to take to open the Wilderness back up? It has to rain, I would imagine... But how much?
S.C.
Part Timer

Let me get this straight...

Post by S.C. »

Just one more thing... The whole Tonto National Forest - including the Superstition Wildertness - is shut down? Does that also mean shut down to day hiking? To everything?
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Yes, closed to hiking. People who ignore "no entry" signs are being cited.
I don't know how much rain will be enough to get them to open it again, but we need all we can get.
MIKE

ldm

Post by MIKE »

wiz.
since it seems you live in az.have you been in the mountain ?
mike
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Mike,
Sure, I've been going there for years.