Nobody knows?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Fritzski
Greenhorn

Nobody knows?

Post by Fritzski »

Re: previous thread - "Senner question".

I can't believe with all the "horse people" that must frequent this site, that nobody even ventured so much as a guess as to when the last time a horse made it to the the top of the Flatiron.

Ron, Jim Hatt, et al, you must have some idea ???
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Fritzski,
Tom Kollenborn documents leading a group of riders carrying the American Flag to the top of summit 5024 (right above the Flatiron) for ten consecutive Memorial days. This was done via "a primitive trail that emerged from the head of O'Grady Canyon near the eastern side of Superstition Mountain".
Ron
Part Timer

nobody knows

Post by Ron »

I myself got close to taking some of those trips on top with Tom, but because of my opening in Pine at Memorial day weekend , I never did. Tom made every one of those trips as was previous stated.
Fritzski
Greenhorn

Post by Fritzski »

Nobody has yet to answer my real question yet though. WHEN were these trips made by Kollenborn? How long ago are we talking about? The gist of my question being that, from my own observations, the current state of the area would preclude any realistic possiblity of ascending the mountain on horseback.

I have read and been told that the Supes were once much less brushy. One reason being the open grazing that took place in the past. Can anybody put forth any other explanation?
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Tom K. says he made the trip each Memorial day for 10 years, beginning in 1981. So 1990 would be the latest documented trip.
Fritzski
Greenhorn

Post by Fritzski »

Thanks, much appreciated Wiz.
Ron
Part Timer

nopbody knows

Post by Ron »

Fritski, The trail is in no way passable to a horse. Even when Tom rode it was not a very good trail and dangerous. Sure the brush was less , when cattle grazed, but that is not the issue. It is a rocky, steep, and again, dangerous trail. On foot , probaly not too bad. Sure , one who knew what he was doing on horseback could probaly still do it , but it's not worth the risk to you , let alone your horse.