Travis Tumlinson and the Stone Maps

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: Travis Tumlinson and the Stone Maps

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

With all the new information coming out about the Stone Maps, it calls for some rethinking on my part and, I imagine, others as well.

If the original maps, in whatever form, came from Travis' grandfather it means, for me, that whoever originally received them, did so from someone who spent years in the mountains and knew every story and legend associated with the range. There are too many exact landmarks on the Stone Maps to be random coincidence.

Beyond that, I don't assume that every map the grandfather had in his collection was a true waybill to a mine or treasure. On the contrary, he was probably given or sold any number of false treasure maps.......same as me and you. The fact that any of those maps fit.......
somewhere does not make them any more "authentic" as far as locating a mine or treasure.

In my mind, the fact that Travis copied one of his grandfather's maps from skin or cloth into stone slabs can only suggest one thing, that he did it to make them more believable and therefore more valuable. In that respect, I do believe he did try to sell them to A.J. Locals. For me, my source for that information is as good as it gets.....said without any reservations or doubts whatsoever.

The big question that remains for me, is how did Travis get to the Superstition Mountains with his Stone Maps?

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Hello Joe,

You tell us:

In my mind, the fact that Travis copied one of his grandfather's maps from skin or cloth into stone slabs can only suggest one thing, that he did it to make them more believable and therefore more valuable. In that respect, I do believe he did try to sell them to A.J. Locals. For me, my source for that information is as good as it gets.....said without any reservations or doubts whatsoever.

The big question that remains for me, is how did Travis get to the Superstition Mountains with his Stone Maps?

If Travis did copy one of his grandfather`s maps from skin or cloth why is it that no one in the family saw this? Remember one of the family members said he saw the maps being carved.

Is it not more reasonable to believe that a young man would be inspired to carve stones from such a remarkable stone(trail maps) than to carve stone maps because he saw a skin map. I believe the stone maps made such an impression. His carvings were not limited to the maps they were of many things. Many things in his environment and elsewhere. A set of maps so mysterious I can see inspiring such behavior not a cloth map.

Your question regarding how Travis got to the Superstitions with the Stone Maps can be answered rather straightforward. He didn`t. He found the maps there. When is another question. As far as selling them. Why not. It seems there was no figuring out the Stone Maps or the skin map and after all his work maybe the conclusion of his book says it all. What was it Jim Bark said about a new generation of Dutch Hunters were needed to find the LDM. Perhaps the same thing.

One thing I can agree with the truth squad on is the stone maps are only part of something much, much bigger, and perhaps the reason that no one has found anything is mainly the maps have never been about treasure of the body they have been about treasure of the soul.

Whatever is on that map hopefully it takes them to the eastern part of the range. After all that is what the H/P carving was always about. I imagine the person that did that one carved many items in Atlanta, Georgia. In fact some of his efforts still adorn many bank buildings there. Also you can see his work at Stone Mountain Georgia. I believe you know the carving of the Confederate Generals there. Actually the H/P stone was quite a dumbing down for him I suspect. Good man.

Good luck Joe and I wish you nothing but the best.

Klondike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

"Your question regarding how Travis got to the Superstitions with the Stone Maps can be answered rather straightforward. He didn`t. He found the maps there. When is another question. As far as selling them. Why not. It seems there was no figuring out the Stone Maps or the skin map and after all his work maybe the conclusion of his book says it all. What was it Jim Bark said about a new generation of Dutch Hunters were needed to find the LDM. Perhaps the same thing."

So Travis found the Stone Maps close to the Superstition Range and carved them at his home. Or, did he just carve some additional things into them to confuse the folks he was showing them to?

I know the trail is correct, so that is not something he added for......color. He did not have the time in the mountains required to know that trail. That would also hold true for his grandfather....etc. Someone from AJ was involved, most likely Chuck Aylor.

His partner in this carving is most likely NOT mentioned in the manuscript. On the other hand, I do hope he is.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

One other thing.....What book are you talking about that is confusing?

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
cuzzinjack
Part Timer

Post by cuzzinjack »

Last Saturday, some time was spent studying the Peralta Stones(map and heart stone) at the museum. I could not touch them, but here is what was noted:

• On the upper left hand corner edge of the heart stone, there is an open fissure on the bedding plane of the rock. Therefore, it does not appear that this rock came from a “tight”, thick sandstone formation.
• The face of the heart stone does not parallel the bedding planes of the rock. There are about 10 degrees of difference. So, it does not appear that the heart stone was split on bedding planes to create it, and the sandstone it is made from is probably too soft to do so.
• The face of the heart stone and map stones are not perfectly flat when looking straight down their sides; the heart stone face being more undulated. It appears a smaller-faced tool was used to smooth the faces of both stones.
• There is a deep scratch on the upper left hand corner edge of the map stone. Someone has apparently tested the stone’s hardness. The rock appears to be very soft and very rich in hematite.
• The map and heart stones do not look machine carved at all; there is no need for a machine, the sandstone is very soft. On some symbols, there is “over scratching” where the lines are longer than intended.
• The weathering on the “DON” and the Cross sides of the stones is very strong and definitely happened AFTER the cross and Don were inscribed.
• The faces of the map and heart stones were not weathered at all and are so fresh it looks like they were created yesterday.
• Weathered-out soft hematite spheres appear to cause the dimpling of the DON and cross faces of the stones.
• Cross-cut hematite spheres can be seen on the map and heart faces, but they are not weathered at all.
• The rock that the map and heart stones are made of appears to have a lot of manganese in it, but could be due to so many dirty hands touching them.

It appears that the map and heart stones are not made of typical sandstone, but of a rock called granular silica. Granular silica is found by vents of acidic hot water emanating from volcanic vents, and is found in rock as open-space filling where the passages of the water to the surface once were. This rock is found in abundance at one of the highest producing gold mines in the world, Yanacocha. This is a high-sulphidation deposit where abundant acidic water was present. When granular silica is observed with a loupe, the grains are found to be very rounded.

There are many varieties of granular silica found at the Molly Marie Prospect as well. On the prospect are found many types of silica from volcanic vents in shallow water and hot springs terraces. There are many varieties; some is very hard, banded, solid silica from microbial mats, and others is granular. Some is coarsely granular, and others is very finely grained. This is a piece of soft granular silica that appears to have been assisted by microbes in its formation (the barnacle shell in the middle is about ¼” wide):

Fossil barnacles can be seen; there is one on the far left, and the pattern on the far right appears to be the pattern of a microbial mat. Barnacles are very common in the Salton Sea; they can withstand high salinities, and previous posts have described the vast brine lakes of Arizona that existed at the same time as the Molly Marie volcanism.

So, back to the Peralta Stones. After my observations, these theories were generated:

• The sandstone is not sandstone at all, but granular silica (an inspection with a loupe would verify or disprove)
• The stones were not machined carved. There was no need. (and, has anyone out there tried to carve something accurately with a dremel or the like?). Not a pretty sight.
• Tumlinson “freshened up” the important sides of Heart and Map stone. Some of the dimples may have been deeper than others and that is why the undulations in the faces. He carved the symbols deeper as he sanded down the face, and added a few more.
• It does not fit that Tumlinson would fake weathering on one side of the stones and not the other, at least a little bit. It is thought that Tumlinson quickly learned that “No good deed goes unpunished”, and afterwards regretted what he did.
cuzzinjack
Part Timer

Post by cuzzinjack »

The sister rock to the granular silica is vuggy silica. It too is found at high sulphidation deposits like Yanacocha. Below is a sawn piece from the Molly Marie Prospect:

http://mollymarieprospect.com/Peralta2p ... silica.jpg

The connection between vuggy silica and a high-sulphidation gold deposit is synonymous to a ball and chain attached to ones ankle.

After thinking about this, ff the Map and Heart Stone are indeed granular silica, it is felt that they came from rock in the transition zone from vuggy to granular silica because of the round hematite inclusions, and the rock to make the Peralta Stones likely came from one of the aforementioned pits.
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

The Stone Maps tell a history of the range that goes back well over a thousand years. The trail and other things shown on the map include not only the ground of the Superstitions but a lot of information transferred through the years and even a bit of graffiti.

To answer your question directly I believe Travis added to the original maps(trail) and that somehow the dirt map complements the trail maps. Never less whatever the Tumlinson`s were looking for on the dirt map has up to now never been found. Perhaps they should pay deeper attention to the trail maps and the Latin Heart. Sad that could not be copyrighted also. :lol:

Having said that the Stone Maps do lead to the primary end of the trail, the hide map may very well lead to other things. We are told the trail maps only capture about 25% of what is on the dirt map but really so what. And furthermore it seems it will be several years before anything about the additional maps will ever be made public. If it ever is.

One thing I will predict they will find themselves in the western part of the range before this is all over. :D And perhaps Needle Canyon.

Who knows maybe that big hole on the trail maps is well a horse. Horse Mesa. Not far from Black Cross Butte and the Salt River. After all both trail maps in many ways show the same thing even where an ancient ship was sunk trying to escape the locals. 8O

Klondike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

klondike wrote:Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

The Stone Maps tell a history of the range that goes back well over a thousand years. The trail and other things shown on the map include not only the ground of the Superstitions but a lot of information transferred through the years and even a bit of graffiti.

To answer your question directly I believe Travis added to the original maps(trail) and that somehow the dirt map complements the trail maps. Never less whatever the Tumlinson`s were looking for on the dirt map has up to now never been found. Perhaps they should pay deeper attention to the trail maps and the Latin Heart. Sad that could not be copyrighted also. :lol:

Having said that the Stone Maps do lead to the primary end of the trail, the hide map may very well lead to other things. We are told the trail maps only capture about 25% of what is on the dirt map but really so what. And furthermore it seems it will be several years before anything about the additional maps will ever be made public. If it ever is.

One thing I will predict they will find themselves in the western part of the range before this is all over. :D And perhaps Needle Canyon.

Who knows maybe that big hole on the trail maps is well a horse. Horse Mesa. Not far from Black Cross Butte and the Salt River. After all both trail maps in many ways show the same thing even where an ancient ship was sunk trying to escape the locals. 8O

Klondike
Ben,

Glad to see you are still hanging in here. I do enjoy our little debates. I know that Roy does as well.

I don't believe I will ever see the maps and manuscript that Ryan has procured. That's really OK with me, as I believe the hole/cave/cache is long empty now. I believe that is also true of all the places pointed out on the Stone Maps. That's why they are on the maps. 8O

Needle Canyon has so many old and new footprints up and down it that a man would probably not be able to find a virgin piece of dirt anywhere. The list of old timers that lived and searched that canyon are at the top of the food chain for Dutch Hunters.

To get to that "hole", you will have to go to the south side of the main mountain, cross a deep ravine and start up the other side. You could just go to Willow Spring and make an easier trip of it. Thing is, if you get up on Superstition Peak and glass over that ravine, you will find what you are looking for. Otherwise, it's tough to find and no walk in the park.

Take care,

Joe
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

Hope things are going well with you and yours.

You have an excellent point on the maps. Perhaps everything was cleaned out long ago. That would actually be a real hoot. Who knows Ayer may have made everything.

On another point. Since you have interpreted the Stone Maps correctly, yet there are many solutions, and some with very impressive monuments, some one must have had quite the sense of humor. And since the truth squad is using a different interpretation of the maps, as evidenced by their video, really dies not matter where they end up.

Imagine if they try to tag along with your efforts they will be happy to cut you a check and recognition.

So what is the timeline now. 2 years to get the right permits. At least 2+seasons of reality tv shows, and at least a couple of books, then and only then if nothing can be found there will be a grand conclusion on a 3 hour tv program with the dirt map, the hide map, 27 stone maps, all in front of the bat cave.

Someone will parachute out of the bat cave and announce all of this actually applies to the Rocky Mountains, as proven by a new carving found under 4 tons of bat stuff. Everyone will take off let`s say for Silverton, Colorado. All the explorers will set up base camp in Durango and take the train to Silverton everyday on the search. That should get at least another 3 seasons out of this. :lol:

Gatekeepers are becoming totally obsolete. This is becoming Disneyland.

May the stars keep you safe.

Klondike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

klondike wrote:Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

Hope things are going well with you and yours.

You have an excellent point on the maps. Perhaps everything was cleaned out long ago. That would actually be a real hoot. Who knows Ayer may have made everything.

On another point. Since you have interpreted the Stone Maps correctly, yet there are many solutions, and some with very impressive monuments, some one must have had quite the sense of humor. And since the truth squad is using a different interpretation of the maps, as evidenced by their video, really dies not matter where they end up.

Imagine if they try to tag along with your efforts they will be happy to cut you a check and recognition.

So what is the timeline now. 2 years to get the right permits. At least 2+seasons of reality tv shows, and at least a couple of books, then and only then if nothing can be found there will be a grand conclusion on a 3 hour tv program with the dirt map, the hide map, 27 stone maps, all in front of the bat cave.

Someone will parachute out of the bat cave and announce all of this actually applies to the Rocky Mountains, as proven by a new carving found under 4 tons of bat stuff. Everyone will take off let`s say for Silverton, Colorado. All the explorers will set up base camp in Durango and take the train to Silverton everyday on the search. That should get at least another 3 seasons out of this. :lol:

Gatekeepers are becoming totally obsolete. This is becoming Disneyland.

May the stars keep you safe.

Klondike
Ben,

Dang! I was really hoping for a job........Maybe a greeter for Disneyland will be the back-up plan. :lol:

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry was the first researcher to get this far into the Stone Maps.

Joe Ribaudo