Religion

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Religion

Post by Thomas Glover »

Greetings all,

Does anyone have a lead on Waltz's religion? One old time Dutch Hunter thought he was Jewish because he had been sold a bible, reportedly Waltz's bible, and it was a Jewish Bible. Others have thought Catholic, or Lutheran or ??

Re: the Sims Ely thread. I just found that thread and if there are specific questions post them to me and I will check my copies of the family records and if the answer is not there I will ask the family. They may have the answers. Then I will post that info. on the forum.

Thomas
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

There is a slight possibility of Waltz being Jewish, but considering his lifestyle and the lack of information, Lutheran seems a more likely possibility as has been mentioned by his contemporaries. I seriously doubt Waltz was Catholic and the only reason I give any thought to the possibility of his being Jewish is the rumour of the possibility of Julia being 1/4 Jewish. It would explain more so the attraction of the two.

I do not believe he was a practicing Jew or Catholic in his final years if either was the religion of his choice or upbringing.

Probably another of those odd questions that are lost for time that no one bothered to ask Rhiney or Gottfried when the time was right. Who thought it would be important over a hundred years later?