Bee swarms

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
sluicebox
Part Timer

Bee swarms

Post by sluicebox »

Just thought I'de drop by and leave a note to anyone hiking in the Supers. I ran across a huge swarm of bees this weekend just north of Weavers Needle. The main body of the swarm was so thick that it was casting a shadow on the ground as they made their way west toward the ridge between East Boulder canyon and West Boulder canyon. I don't know if they only swarm during certain times of the year or what, but they are definitely out there now. After reading the article a few months back about the bees swarming a tent, seeing this swarm so close got my heart rate up more than just a little. Of course, I left my bee hood back at my camp. I read that they follow carbon dioxide traces from your breath, so I covered my nose and mouth with a shirt. I headed down a ravine to put as much distance between myself and them as fast as possible. I heard them long before I saw them. So, if you're out there, keep your ears and eyes open and don't forget your bee hood. Regards, Larry
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Hello,
From your decription, it sounds like you saw an "abscounding" swarm...which is the most dangerous type. It is a WHOLE colony of bees looking for a new home. (Maybe their existing home was disturbed).

The smaller swarms are just a PART of a colony looking to start their own colony due to lack of space at the old colony. I am told that the Africanized bees multiply quickly. Well, at least more quickly than the European variety.

The upcoming warm weather will make the bees more active and more dangerous, so be careful in the mountains.
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Post by GK_STAR »

I went though the 2nd water area yesterday and while they didn't come after me there were lots of them concentrated at one of the upper pools. I decided to let them have that one. I was amazed at how loud the buzzing was.....reminded me of some of the Mosquito swarms I hear at my home on Lake Traverse back in Minnesota. While a royle pain in the A$$ and in some case's will cause death.......I'll take them over these Damn Killer Bee's you have down here.

Greg Kaiser
But hey.....Thats just Me....I could be wrong
murphy
Part Timer

Bee Swarms

Post by murphy »

We have had several posts on the bees in the last year. Has anyone been chased or "bumped" by them? Are there any areas where you are uncomfortable hiking in because of the bees? Since basically all of the Arizona bee populations have been Africanized, first hand experiences may keep somone out of harms way.
murphy
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

If you mean "bumped into" by bees as you are walking along.....yes this has happened to me on three occasions in rocky areas. (1) while hiking with George Harbin on the southern end of the Supes near Carney Spring; (2) while hiking the Lost Dutchman State Park with my wife; (3) while walking Queen Creek wash in the vicinity of the gravel pit. All these incidents took place in the last two years.

Each time this happened I noticed bees entering and exiting nearby rock crevices. I'm sure the bees were just probing us ....but they didn't seem overly aggressive. Maybe they feel secure with their hives deep in the rock.
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

bee what?

Post by Gene Reynolds »

There was a man who loved bees. .
He always was their friend.
He used to sit upon their hive.
But they stung him, in the end.

Just putting in my 4 and a half cents worth -

Gene
Writer of Borrego 13
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Honeycomb?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bushrat,

Could this be the "honeycomb" Peter and Late were talking about? :lol:

Respectfully,

Joe
DELETED

honeycomb dragon?

Post by DELETED »

Joe

I personally liked the story of the "honeycomb" Pete and Late talked about. Got me thinking that a bee is not always a bee, even though one can work as hard as a bee. I copied it to the notes I keep; much like many others. I haven't spent as much time in the range as many of you so I rely on those stories. Like I said before I don't know too much on the interior of the mountains like many of you. I'm so intrigued though. I still believe, and not to sure what to believe, that there is so much this mountain range has to give up. The mystery is in the stories and the truths that hopefully get revealed. There is truth in stories and second hand knowledge, may not be documented but it is there.

On a side note, my Thanksgiving trip was very cool. I honestly didn't make it to where I wanted to go. Those mountains kicked my ass. I still had a good time, but who doesn't when you are out in the range with good friends.

Still lookin' to learn,
Zoltan
murphy
Part Timer

Bee Swarms

Post by murphy »

Bushrat,
Thanks for the info. what time of year were you there? Planning on spending a few days in the mountains this fall, kinda like to know where these guys are, I am alergic to bee stings.
The bumping seems to be a warning. These Africanized colonies send out scouts sometimes a far distance from the hive, and if they feel threatened will bump you to let you know they don't want company.
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Murphy,

If memory serves me correct (which isn't always the case) the State Park walk was late last spring...I remember that because we were a little late and missed the best wildflowers. The other trips were early summer.

Of course, it is warm weather when the bees are most active. They are still foraging the rest of the year but not with the same intensity or numbers. Their hives need large amounts of water to stay cool in the summer so they are always scurrying about.

My concern is climbing around the upper cliff areas where the big hanging hives might be...that is why I carry GOOD binoculars and glass area thoroughly before climbing in.

One other tip, if a bee bumps you, let him do it. If you swat at them they get irritated and may call for help.

Regards!
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Hi Joe,

I somehow missed your earlier reply. I have a bad habit of skimming through things...should have read all the posts more thoroughly.

As far as honeycomb goes, I was camped on a ridge in the Bluff Spring area a couple of weeks ago and woke up to the sweet sound of a flute. It was an Indian melody that went on for a hour or so. I hope it was the wind blowing through a honeycomb or something. Anyway it was nice but slightly unnerving.

Hope everything is fine with you!
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Sweet Music

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bushrat,

Nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well with you and the wife.

Was that American Indian music? Man would have to consider himself pretty lucky if he was in the right place and at the right time to hear a Native American flute being played, possibly cermonially, in the middle of the Superstitions. Considering the timing, that may have been the case.

Take care.

Respectfully,

Joe
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Godd Morning,
It was indeed American Indian music. I camped on a narrow ledge near the Sleeping Lady and awoke to the flute...made coffee and listened intently. It was eerie at first and then very enjoyable bordering on wonderful. It seemed to be coming from the rocks accross from the Bluff Spring area.

Later the ranger at Peralta Trailhead told me that youth groups were camping in the Bluff Spring area so that is probably the source.

Another thing...I woke up at midnight to take a leak and I could see a light zig-zagging up the trail well to the south for an hour or so. Looked like a night march or something. Anyway, I felt pretty secure up on the ridge......camping on the ridges was a great suggestion from Jack Carlson. Too much riff-raff along the main trails even though the the terrain is flatter.

Joe, nice hearing from you.