Hole in the rock

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

Hole in the rock

Post by zentull »

Just curious how many holes in the rock there are?I know of several in different areas that match descriptions. They all are only large enough for people and the inclines would also prevent horses from travelling through. As is usual they are difficult to find a second time.One actually comes out and around the bend there is a grassy area facing east that is a nice spot to camp in. There is a cave in that general area,but no prospects or visible signs of mining. I always feel that everyone that gives a direction to the mines vincinity has their tongue in cheek. I always thought the camp at the south end of Bluff springs was a Peralta camp,but now that has changed it appears. No one talks about it anymore.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

I assume here that you are talking about the legendary "hole" that one passes through somewhere on the trail to the mine? This is prominent in the Joe Deering account, and apparently was held in high regard by Jim Bark, as it seems to flicker thru his various anecdotes like an indistinguishable flame.

The "hole", if there is one , has been placed in just about every area in the mountains. Name a mountain or place in the mountains and I imagine one could find a whole slew of holes that one could dubb THE hole.

Probelm here is not the dearth of clues, but there are so many clues and so many areas that seem to fit the various clues that the LDM could be just about anywhere out there.