Brownie's Rock House

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Peter
Expert

Brownie's Rock House

Post by Peter »

Anyone have any comments on Brownie's Rock House?

One of the key clues (to Brownie Holmes' mind) seemed to be the finding of a rock house at the head of a north trending canyon. I have seen claims that the rock house has been found in various places: near Bluff Springs Mtn, on Tortilla Mtn, in Boulder Canyon, Upper LaBarge box, etc etc. Seems to have as many locatons as the Perfil Mapa...lol

Something else that intrigues is it seems that Brownie held back some directions once the rock house was found... anyone have any thoughts on these? It has always seemed odd to me that the mine was in such a rough, inaccessable place, but could easily be found if only the rock house made an appearence. Interesting.
S.C.
Part Timer

Rock House

Post by S.C. »

I think some of the directions Brownie gave also were slightly altered so as not to give away too much - in addition to things he held back on.

However, taking Peter's info into consideration, I am also reminded of Walt Gassler's reference to finding stones around his favorite search area - Peters Mesa - that looked as if they could have been the remains of a stone structure that was destoryed. Are they one and the same as the stone cabin Brownie sought? Hard to say.

Like Peter, I too am wondering what others think about this issue.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

I looked for Gassler's torn-down rock cabin but couldn't find it. Couldn't find the three teepee-shaped rocks either. That's a tough area to get to, and a day trip there isn't near enough time to take a good look around.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

The problem with that particular area (and I think you are talking about Peters Mesa here) is that yes, its extremely remote and very difficult to find any remains of any landmarks from the 1930s (Gasslers time) much less the 1840s/50s/60s.

Whatever is up there now and thought of as "old" or Mexican/Spanish may well be nothing more than red herrings. Searchers such as Holmes, Bradford, and the Petrasch's (none of whom were adverse to destroying or CHANGING certain landmarks to keep folks out of their areas) picked over the area when clues were relatively fresh(and came up with no mine), good luck trying to find any original landmarks (or gold mines) there today.

Was Gasslers rock house and Brownies the same? Obviously not. I seriously doubt something that Walt found in the 30s would have escaped the notice of Brownie, given the link (the Barkely Ranch) between the two men. The more I look at the entire Peters Mesa area it looks more and more like an important link to the LDM, but too many other things seem to point in a different direction. I wouldnt be surprised if there was some old work camp type area in the vicinity, sort of as a transportation hub between the main Mexican camp in Marsh Valley and the mines to the east and north. The Mesa area would be relatively free from Apache amsucade (it was high up and certain areas are easily defended) and at the same time communiction with the Marsh Valley camp and the mining areas could be easily expedited.