The Camping Trip

This is a moderated LDM discussion forum for those who prefer to be protected from disagreeable posts. Your moderator is Joe Ribaudo.

NOTE: The moderator will see your IP if you post to this form!

Moderator: Joe Ribaudo

Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Camping Trip

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I am moving the subject here, so that it will not require reading by those who are not interested. Having said that, I can assure you that this topic will generate just as many views as the others. :lol:

First the bad news. After all these years of hearing the stories about the Twin Butte scrapings, I realized that they were not at the Buttes. The good news is, they are close to the Buttes.

Before we make any other plans, I will go to the Mineral Mountains and locate the correct hill. I will also double check what Tracy Hawkins said.

We are going to visit family in Oklahoma the first week in July, but I will check out the area ASAP.

Sorry if I led anyone astray, but it was not intentional.

Respectfully,

Joe
hound dog
Greenhorn

trip

Post by hound dog »

Joe

If I can be of any help just let me know. I am game to just about anywhere, just a chance to meet some of the people face to face would be worth the trip anywhere.

thanks
Hound dog
sluicebox
Part Timer

new location

Post by sluicebox »

Joe, Are you still talking about the south side of the river? There is a lot of water flowing in the Gila right now, and if you don't start out on the correct side, it's a "long way" around to the other side. Regards, Sluicebox
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

North Side

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

It would seem that the scrapings are at the edge of the Mineral Mountains.
That would be on the north side of the river and west of the North Butte.

Sorry for the confusion, I was just going on what I have been told. Never actually been there.

When I get back from Oklahoma, I will go down there and pin the tail on this donkey. :)

Respectfully,

Joe
hound dog
Greenhorn

Post by hound dog »

to say there is some water running in the gila is an understatement. Was there last saturday and there is almost enough to float a small houseboat.

hound dog
Knun
Part Timer

Joe

Post by Knun »

Joe,

Any more info on this trip. Campsite? Meeting point? Etc.?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Pre-run

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Knun,

I just got back, but plan on making a trip into the area soon.

Anyone interested in such a pre-run should contact me by e-mail.

[email protected]

Respectfully,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das List

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

This is a partial list of those who have said they will make the trip, and those who will make it, if possible:

Greg Davis
Jim Hamrick
Bushrat
Sluicebox +1
Knun
Late49er
Rochha
Roger
Desert Dave
RUK
GTG
Hound Dog
Lazarus +3
Mr. B
"Uncle" Sammy Tozer
greyhair
Fritzski
Zentull

If I left anyone out, just remember, I am getting old. :roll:

There are still a few people I am working on. I believe some of them may realize they "have" to be there. There are some who are bringing wives, friends and relatives.

Once the final date is set, I will want to know who "will" be there, how many in their party, what they will be using for shelter and any agenda you would like to see for the weekend.

finding the scrapings will be the first priority. After that, there may be some interest in finding an old Jesuit campsite. Metal detecting, panning and rock hounding seems like a natural. We will be close to the Coke Ovens, so quads, dirt bikes and 4X4s might come in handy.

Let me hear your ideas.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
[email protected]
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
Part Timer

Camping Trip Attendance

Post by Roger »

Joe, I plan to attend the AZ Camping Trip barring any unforseen issues with my schedule vs the dates that get selected. I hope you pick a location where a Class C motor home can make it in. Like your wife, would like some creature comforts!!!

Keep us posted on potential dates for the outing.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Motor Homes

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

I received an e-mail this morning telling me I had misunderstood, big surprise, and that there were no height restrictions getting to the campsite. Getting to the Buttes is where you must pass under the RR tracks.

The Princess is pleased. :)

Thanks for your reply.

Not much input from the majority of the people who are coming. That's pretty much normal for this kind of event, but I would like to hear any ideas.

Respectfully,

Joe
lazarus
Expert

Gathering

Post by lazarus »

Joe,
I am very much looking forward to meeting you and all the others planning to attend your gathering. I hope some of those who are riding the fence on this decide to attend.

Forum members,,
As many of you know, I am a freelance journalist.
It is my intent to write an article about this gatheriing. I hope to interview those of you who are not apposed. Rest assured, I won't include any names or photos of without permission.

I may also choose to document the gathering for my upcoming book, which grows more massive by the day, yet no closer to completion.

As for the forum, I have made it a point to avoid the pissing matches. I find such conduct infantile and distracting. Those individuals who insist on participating in such banter risk damage to thier personal reputations as well as that of the forum.

I tend to take myself quite seriously, and I believe most of you should as well. There are some very gifted minds who contribute to the forum on a regular basis, and it always saddens me when one of them steps away from the table.
Yes, I have done so myself. Admittedly, I have a low tollerance for nonsense. If I participate, I risk guilt by association.

Nonetheless, I have grown to admire many of you. I personally believe that some of you are far more important to the history of this legend than any of you realize.

I am determined to attend this little shindig, and I intend to carry myself as though I have been invited to participate in an historical event. I hope others in attendance will humor me by adopting a similar mindset.

Life is what you make of it,

Lazarus
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Pre-Run

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Just returned from the pre-run with Greyhair, azdave35, sluicebox and knun.

I had the pleasure of meeting knun at the Mining and Mineral Museum a while back.

The other three were "as advertised" on the forum. All straight shooters, knowledgeable Dutch Hunters, highly intelligent and all around nice guys.
Before you ask, I have no idea how they hooked up with the likes of me. 8O

The area is going to be a great place to camp in the desert. Level, hard packed clear campsite. The road to the site is graded, dirt/gravel and is excellent all the way to the site. There was a short stretch of fairly deep sand. It required four wheel drive to get through.

We will make another pre-run, about three days prior to the event, and notify everyone of the conditions. Greyhair says they grade this road on a regular basis, it shows, and this if the first time he has encountered the sand.

If the sand is there, I will make sure those needing help to get through, will have it. We will fine tune this as we get closer.

I will set the date by the end of this week.

We went in Sunday morning and, once again, did not find the scrapings.
When we came out, I called Tracy Hawkins and he invited us over to help pinpoint the spot on a Topo. Greyhair and sluicebox went back today, and still had no luck. We will work on this right up to the time of the campout, perhaps a flyover, and try to save us some time over the campout weekend.

If we don't have any luck, I hope we will have one hell of a search party.

This area is a natural for dirt bikes, quads, 4X4s and dune buggies. The many mines in the area would make metal detectors a must. Bring um if you have them. I have heard that panning will produce color on the banks of the Gila.

Anyone who does dry washing will be in "hog heaven".

Questions? Let's hear them.

Those who met Tracy Hawkins, were honored to do so. Sluicebox made a great comment. He said: I just wanted to touch the hand that held the gold." There is a good deal of LDM history that fairly oozes from the pores in that hand.

Each time I see Tracy, the memories come flooding back...Chuck and Maxine Ribaudo, Obie and Olive Stoker, Al Morrow, Ernie Provence, Dale Howard, just some of the people who have passed over and left their mark on me.

Each time I leave Tracy, I give him a hug. No doubt it makes this old "hand" uncomfortable, but because of our common history, it makes me feel like I am embracing all of those people. So many of them, gone too soon.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Nice Post

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Lazarus,

I am also looking forward to meeting you, and many of those who have said they will attend.

I fear, I am guilty as charged in the "pissing matches". Being able to piss any distance at all, these days, is something to be proud of. :lol: Getting old, is not for sissies.

I am trying to cut back.

Thanks for the kind words for the campout. Those who don't make the dance will be missed. I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see that many Dutch Hunters in the same camp, so to speak. :)

Most of those who think they would not be welcome, would be mistaken.
I don't know how any Dutch Hunter could sit this one out.

Thanks again, Lazarus.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Date

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

The date is set for the campout.

Some of you have not sent me your personal information.

If you plan on attending, I will need your Name, Address, Phone # and e-mail address.

As some of you already know, no one will ever get that information from me.

Each of you will individually receive the date and place for the event.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
late49er
Part Timer

Stone Maps, gorges, and other things

Post by late49er »

Hi Joe,

Hope things are going well with you folks. Got a note from Gene. Looks like he is doing ok. Takes a lot of courage to go through that kind of surgery. Suspect he has seen the light and will become a Georgia Tech fan now they have beat Auburn.

I read a post that suggests you are part of a conspiracy to take over the board. Understand I am a junior member of the plot. You know it really is sad I did enjoy trying to engage folks in a positive way. Oh well it is what it is.

Really now that football season is starting up I had really prefer just to drop in on occasion and read anyway.

So you want to go to the other side of the Matrix. I am consulting my associates and don`t see a problem if you have enough pecan pie to go around. They are even older than me. Matt is 71 and Carl is 69. Have to admit the three of us have been in the mountains for a long time. Not that anything I said was not true just the timelines are a bit well suspect.

You have a long climb so bring some young blood. Man that place is high up. Carl and Matt can carry me up.

What makes the climb so tough is that Martin blew up the side of a mountain years ago. A little payback for the Massacre. What he really accomplished was to invalidate almost every clue to the LDM. Only way in now is the backdoor. Really is a hoot to realize the only clue left to the location of the LDM is the Stone Maps.

Again good luck on your conspiracy. Good to know you only have one personality here.

Regards,

Late49er
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Conspiracy

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Late,

I am no longer posting to the LDM Forum. It already has it's full quota of wackos.

Glad to hear that Gene is doing well.

The "board" has been taken over already, and I am nowhere in sight.
There are a few members who are posting and then repying to themselves under another identity. Is is amusing to watch the charade, as they all attempt to say something interesting.

Wyatt is right at home there, making it up as he goes along. Good fiction should, at least, be believable. :roll:

I will not be making any more trips into the Supes. I will send others in my place, assuming they are willing. We will find that out at the campout.

Look forward to meeting you there.

It is also good to know, that you have only one personality. :)

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Confirmed!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Here are the people who have confirmed they can make the date set for the camp out:

Joe and Carolyn Ribaudo
Greyhair
Knun +1
azdave35
Sluicebox
Zentull
Mark O.
Roger + 1
Greg Davis
Hound Dog + 2
Lazarus & Wife +2
Scott
Jack Carlson

As others confirm they will make it, I will post their names to this reply.

Jim Hamrick is still recovering from hip surgery, and will not be able to make this trip. He hopes to make the next one, and we hope so to.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:36 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Camp Out

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Right now there are about 20 people who will be at the camp out. That would be twenty confirmed. If others who have said they will make it, do show up, I expect the number could be 25-30

The list of confirmed participants is just above this post, so you can all see the caliber of people who are coming. Well....except for me. :)

Lazarus, + 3 and Late49er have both said they will be there, but have not confirmed since I set the date.

No response from RUK.

I know this will be a great event, and it would be nice to make it an annual event.

The "camp out" seems pretty lame for a name, so if anyone has a suggestion, let's hear it.

"The 1st. Annual Dutch Hunters Rendezvous" might look good on a T-shirt and it's all I could come up with. :lol: Picture of Waltz leading a burro or Weaver's Needle might go along with that.

For those who can't or won't be making this trip, maybe next time. I don't know how any "Dutch Hunter" could miss it. 8O

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Bushrat
Greenhorn

Post by Bushrat »

Joe,

Maybe the DutchHunter Desert Caucus?

Well, let's sleep on it.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Slept-on

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bushrat,

So far we have just the two suggestions. 8O Not unusual for this kind of
thing. We have quite a few people excited about the event, but not many will be interested in the mechanics of the thing. :)

Still waiting for confirmation from Late49er, RUK and Lazarus. Late may still be on hiatus and reports of Lazarus rising from the dead, may be premature. :lol:

Really looking forward to this event. Like many of you, I have thought about such a gathering for a number of years.

See you at Twin Buttes!

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
[email protected]
Roger
Part Timer

Name for October Campout

Post by Roger »

Here are a couple of suggestions for the October outing:

1. Lost Dutchman Hunters Retreat
2. Lost Dutchman Annual Rally
3. Superstitions Seekers Campout
4. Superstition Mountains Treasure Campout

Should be a great outing and look forward to meeting a number of the Forum members and spending time with fellow Dutch Hunters.

Roger
bill711
Expert

Dutch Hunters

Post by bill711 »

Joe; THE LDMER,S RALLEY! Thank,s Bill 8)
bill711
Expert

Dutch Hunters

Post by bill711 »

joe add No. 1. on that post. bill
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

We Are Closed, NOW!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

OK...We got plenty now.

Anyone who want's to vote on the choices, has til Friday.

It would be a good idea for those who have not confirmed, to do so soon. The location wil only be provided to those who have made personal contact with me.

Aynone who has chosen to pass on this event should re-think their decision. Anyone who manages to show up, without a ticket, will be asked to leave. :)

There will be toilets made available for any ladies, as well as showers.

I will bring a large gas barbeque for anyone who want's to use it. If folks want to have a pot-luck, I will be happy to set that up.

Those who are planing on being there, should speak up, as to what they would like to see happen. Otherwise, you will be stuck with what I want to happen. :? Probably not a good idea. :lol:

For those who are worried about replying on this forum (I can understand why that might be), :) e-mails or phone calls are no problem. I believe you all have my personal information. If not, just ask for it.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Still Growing

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Late 49er confirmed today. He will have three others with him. I know a lot of you are looking forward to meeting this man. Me too!

Still waiting to hear from Lazarus and RUK.

I would like to know how many wives or girlfriends will attend.

This is turning into a lot of people, so I need input! I have no problem with thirty or so, but without some suggestions from all of you, it will turn into the Joe Ribaudo thing. I can handle that, but it would be better if it was a "group" affair.

If I don't hear anything by next weekend, I will start putting a plan together.

Respectfully,

Joe