The Military in the Superstition Mountains.

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Aurum
Part Timer

The Military in the Superstition Mountains.

Post by Aurum »

xx
Last edited by Aurum on Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

History

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Aurum,

Thanks for that really informative post on the history of the 1st Arizona Volunteers. There was not much response, but I can assure you that you
have struck a chord with me.

I have read a great deal concerning this topic. While I can't justify the price for the full eight volumes of "History of Arizona" I do have volumes 1 & 2 of the first edition and in "like new" condition. I have partially read a number of the other volumes. Thomas Farish writes a great deal on this subject and has used letters between officers in the field and command for his historical sources. I notice you use him as a source for Cavaness.

Another nice little book is, "One Blanket And Ten Days Rations" by, Charles & Jacqueline Meketa. This one is about the 1st Infantry New Mexico Volunteers in Arizona 1864-1866. They also endured a great deal of hardship in their brief sojourn through the State's history. I am not sure they ever made it into the Superstitions, but that would come as no surprise.

It takes "history" to give real life to legends. Good post.

Respectfully,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill711
Expert

Arizona History

Post by bill711 »

Huba, Huba, Huba, Good show, AURUM. Bill
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Aurum,

You raise a most interesting topic. The Arizona Volunteers filled a crucial gap in Arizona’s history. Yet, they are – as you note – mostly over looked. The U.S. Army in Arizona is well documented and written about. One of their principal historians was Connie Wynn Altshuler; right now I am looking at her excellent book Calvary Yellow and Infantry Blue. She was a friend – one of many that I miss – and we would meet at her house in Tucson and talk history – mostly Arizona, but also Plantagenets. She was remarkable in her recall. We would be sitting talking and a name of an officer would come up and she would recite that officer’s history, even after he left Arizona. She would talk about where the records were in the federal Government, which ones she had found miss filled and where they were then and where they are now. It is obvious that I miss her friendship and her intellect. But, back then I did not know about the Arizona Volunteers and never asked her about them. It came as a great surprise to me to find that the Arizona Volunteers are missing from Connie’s works. I mean she did not miss much, but she did not cover the California Column/Volunteers or the Arizona Volunteers.

When the U.S. Army called its troops east during the Civil War the California Volunteers were formed to fill the vacuum created by the withdrawal of Federal troops. They ranged far and wide from the Arizona and later New Mexico to Nevada and Utah. My understanding is that as the Confederate threat in the West collapsed they pushed east following the Confederates who were withdrawing. This created another vacuum that was filled in the Southwest by the Arizona and New Mexico Volunteers. The history of the California Volunteers is well documented in Richard Orton’s book “Records of California Men in the War of Rebellion 1861-1867” (published 1890).

Into the gap or vacuum left by the withdrawal of the California Column stepped the Arizona Volunteers. As I understand it the leaving of the Federal troops emboldened the Apache and other tribes. The California Volunteers first duty was to fight the Confederacy. Indian uprisings spread. The Arizona Volunteers were formed to fight the renewed Indian threat. Yet, they are not recognized by many. For over a year most served without pay, provided their own weapons, ammunition, horses and so forth and served with distinction. Yet, except for Underhill’s works on them I know of no other works devoted solely to them. When I went to the Arizona National Guard Museum I was surprised to find no mention of them. Displays for the other Guard units from the 1800s on, but nothing for the original “Guards”, the Arizona Volunteers. When I asked about records I received the equivalent of a blank stare, as they had no idea who or what the Arizona Volunteers were. Sad that, very sad. There are some records, but hey are scattered and very incomplete. There was a private collection gathered from around Arizona (and maybe even from outside Arizona), but it was stored in a shed and mice destroyed it. That was the only more or less complete collection of their records and activities I ever found.

They were a remarkable group of men and are almost totally ignored.

Aurum, if I have erred let us all know as this is almost solely from memory.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

We Are Lucky!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dr. Glover,

I don't know if there is another group in existence that is as lucky as this one. Having you and Aurum as members is better than finding the LDM, at least for me. The chances of anyone ever finding Waltz's mine, and there being something actually in it, are slim indeed. But we can all mine the historical knowledge that the two of you possess. I always feel like a kid in a candy store.

When you mentioned Constance Altshuler's book, I immediately looked up at my own copy and broke into a big grin. I have used her book on many occasions and have even mentioned it on this site. She had me from the beginning of her introduction.

"In pursuing research into military history, one wants to know something about the men who took part in the events under study. For any regular army officer it is easy to find the sequence of his promotions, but such dry bones do not a human being make. An officer is more that a pair of shoulder straps. Yet except for those who became eminent, personal particulars are not readily available, not even dates of birth. Because of this I made a habit of noting biographical data whenever I came across them. Ultimately, with additional research, my notes grew into this compilation. Unfortunately, even with great effort full information could not be found about every officer. And, to the sorrow of an honest biographer, some led dull lives."

It was obvious to me, that she was a woman who would leave no stone unturned in her search for "honest" history. While some may think the subject would be pretty dry, this author brought to life every entry which had any life to give. Rare ability for this subject, and even more amazing to come from a lady.

She was obviously "one of a kind" and you were lucky to have her for a friend. I can only imagine how interesting your time with her was. There are people who leave a massive emptyness in our hearts and lives when they pass away, and I have no doubt that is the case for you. While her books will never take the place of the talent she had, or the books she might have written, she is now as much a part of history as the events and people she wrote about. You are a lucky man.

Thank you for giving us another piece of history, private and public.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

The historical black hole that the Arizona Volunteers have fallen into is even more curious when one considers that they were “federal” troops. Both the California and Arizona Volunteers were raised as acts of Congress and personnel were inducted into federal service. The records of the Arizona Volunteers are federal records. Yet, not being regular army they seem to have fallen into an historical abyss, bypassed by most historians. One wonders why? They were praised for their service and their effectiveness in fighting the Apache. Remember the Arizona Volunteers were raised not to defend against the Confederacy, but (unlike the California Column/Volunteers) created solely to fight Apache. In fact, the Arizona Volunteers were preferred to the California Volunteers when it came to fighting Apache as the California Volunteers were cited for not knowing the country and not knowing how to fight Apache. As the one-year term of service ended Governor Goodwin tried to get the federal government to extend/expand the Arizona Volunteers in preference to regular army units. Although often confined to their camps by lack of food or other supplies when in the field they compiled an enviable record, and were cited for bravery.

I have wondered if the reason they are not better recognized historically and given more credit is because they were mostly not white. There were six companies originally formed: Companies A, B, C, D, E and F. Company D never became a unit and was disbanded. Of the five remaining companies Co. A was raised by Primitivo Cervantes after Robert Postle resigned. It was raised from Yavapai, Yuma and Mojave Counties, and a look at its rolls shows a mixed Anglo-Hispanic company. Thomas Ewing raised Co. B. from Maricopa Indians. Co. C was made up of Pimas raised by John D. Walker from the Pima Villages. Co. E was raised by Hiram S. Washburn in the Patigonia mining region and a review of its rolls shows it to be almost entirely Hispanic/Mexican – in fact, many of Co. E’s men were recruited in Sonora. Co. F. also originated in southern Arizona around Tubac, and it too was a “Mexican” company. There were at least four languages spoken by the Arizona Volunteers: English, Spanish, Maricopa and Pima -- often orders and/or reports had to be translated between officers and men or even between officers.

So of the four companies of the Arizona Volunteers that took the field two were composed of Amerindians, two were “Mexican” companies (meaning they were composed of well over 3/4ths Hispanics and Mexicans), and one was a mixed Anglo-Mexican company. These were the Arizona Volunteers – frontiersmen reflecting the composition of Arizona at that time – some whites, but mostly Amerindians and Mexicans. The unit Edwards scouted for was Co. F. It would appear that Edwards may have joined the unit in Southern Arizona. Oscar Hutton, who became an officer in Co. F, was a mining superintendent at the Mowery Mine when Co. F was formed. One wonders if Edwards and Hutton may have known each other from the Mowery?

As for Dutch Hunting, and the question some may ask about what does all this history have to do with anything? All I can reply is that I have known and know of men who single-mindedly pursed clues to the Dutchman, but could never put the pieces together. Why? One reason is they largely ignored the history. In fact one, Richard Peck, derided history -- but the clues fit against and into the background of history. To this day I know one well-known Dutch Hunter who stubbornly hangs onto one clue in particular that means one thing by itself, but something quite different when placed in the context of history.
Aurum
Part Timer

Arizona Volunteers and the Lost Dutchman

Post by Aurum »

xx
Last edited by Aurum on Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Aurum and Tom,

To expand on the questions some:

Just what sent Waltz into the Superstitions? Was it meeting up with some Peralta family members or hearing rumor of their activity during the Peeples expedition? Was it hearing about the Green /Edwards discoverys?
Or did he simply just bump into some of the Peralta peons after being chased by Apache somewhere in the mountains? Meet a Peralta down in Mexico and save him from gamblers (doubtful this one)?

My bet would be a combination of the above.

P
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Seeking a Connection

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gentlemen,

The thread seems to be seeking a connection to the LDM, and you are all providing the information that connects the dots, so to speak. :lol:

While Peter's attempt to connect Jacob Waltz with the Peraltas, through an accidental (or otherwise) meeting, seems like the plausable direction to take, I have another direction to add to the mix.

Is there any historical documentation which connects Waltz to the Peraltas? If we are going to use "history", is there another family name which can be connected to Jacob Waltz, the Peraltas and a legend of Spanish treasure? Is there "historical documentation" which ties all four together? Waltz, Peralta, Spanish treasure and the other family name which is always there, but seldom discussed?

The only way to connect those dots is "documented history". Not only is that history in the books, but it has also been presented on this site. What if Waltz never even met a Peralta? A great deal of time, effort and money has been spent finding out everything that has ever been written or said about the Peralta family trying to tie them together with Jacob Waltz, and his "mine". We have all seen the results of those efforts. What if the real key to understanding what Waltz possessed is buried in the history of another family altogether? Could someone find more success researching a "documented fact" as opposed to a popular "legend"? It is possible that someone who no longer posts here already has.

Peter's question: "Just what sent Waltz into the Superstitions?" may find life and answers in the Grijalva/Grijalba family.

As I said before, "It takes 'history' to give real life to legends".

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

>>What if Waltz never even met a Peralta?<<

This would not surprise me in the least. I have always felt that if the Holmes account is true and Waltz happened upon Mexicans working the LDM, then these Mexicans were likely either peons or miners who knew about the mine (and had worked it in the past) and returned to get a bit more gold out.

P
Bandit
Part Timer

Post by Bandit »

"Curse of the Dutchman's Gold" Helen Corbin.
A map and letter was given to Bob Corbin by an individual from the Phoenix area. The map is titled "The Ortiz Map" . The letter directs Waltz to a ridge with an arrow pointing to the left side. The date is 1864.
The letter and map was sent from a Peralta.
I have not looked at the book for sometime and it is possible the name I have written might not be correct, but it is close.
This would tie the two together, for what reason the letter and map was sent I am not sure it is listed.
It works for me.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Bandit,

You might want to take a look at Tom Glover's 1st book. He does an analysis of the Ortiz Map and accompanying letter on page 327-329.
Makes some sense to me.

P
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

I have always been interested in a reference made by James McCarthy in the series of articles he wrote back in 1924 regarding the early days of AZ and in particular the Two Soldiers/Jacobs and Ludi. These articles have been reprinted as a booklet available from the SMHS book store.

In a sense the incident reported by McCarthy supports the tale of the Two Soldiers. But McCarthy links the incident of the soldiers to Jacobs and Ludi. (To him, the tale of the soldiers told to him by the prospector he met in 1885 reminded him of the tale of Jacobs and Ludi.) He indicates that Charlie Jacobs of that tale supposedly was involved in the one battle of the Civil War that took place in AZ.

I have often wondered if anyone has been able to find out what soldiers in particular had a part in that battle. Are there any records anywhere of a Charles Jacobs serving in a unit that was involved?

And this brings to mind the tale of Jacobs and Ludi in general. What specifically led McCarthy to somehow (though mistakenly) equate them to the Two Soldiers? Where did he learn of the tale of Jacobs and Ludi? Are there any prior references to it? The tale of the Lost German Mine these days is equated as a parallel tale alongside the LDM legend (and perhaps in the past was often mistaken as one and the same). It is easy to say that is the source. But is it?

Putting aside Milton Rose's speculations about Clark's supposed early article on the Lost German Mine (circa 1879) that cannot be confirmed, one wonders where McCarthy's reference came from. Was there an earlier reference to a Jacobs and Ludi - besides the supposed article by Clark? There are articles by Clark that appear later. But they do not reference names. It makes one wonder if Rose's claim of a prior article (specifically naming the prospectors) ever existed. Especially considering the articles by Clark we do have that are dated much later do not mention any names - and specifically call the story the Lost Dutchman.

This is not to say something, somewhere, does not exist that leads one - especially then - to believe there was a tale about Jacobs and Ludi. Where - for example - did Barry Storm get his information about Jacobs and Ludi? Though he blended it with with the LDM legend and made it part of the story, Storm had to have received his information from somewhere. That is often associated with Leland Lovelace. Maybe so. But where did Ms. Lovelace get her information? Do the documents Lovelace donated to Arizona State University in Tempe contain data on Jacobs and Ludi? I have often wanted to research her files there myself but - being from out of state - have never had the time to do so when in Arizona. I have seen some of the stuff there that others have copied - like the famous letters to Frank Dobie about Barry Storm - but from what I understand there was quite a bit of information that was deposited there. It makes one wonder.

Nothing comes out of nowhere. And there must be a reason McCarthy made his statement about Jacobs and Ludi. Specifically why did he think Jacobs was involved in that Civil War battle?

Though I have no answers. The questions are interesting ones. Perhaps these days we can never know for sure what happened. But, whatever the case, there is strong evidence some parallel tale existed alongside the LDM and elements of it were transposed one way or another into the LDM tale. There are strong independent story elements in Clark's article we have that have survived. This certainly indicates some other tale somewhere existing - either rightly or wrongly - and it was associated with what became known as the Lost Dutchman. Even if Clark did not write an article in 1879 about the Two Germans (Jacobs and Ludi), he still seems to have unique story elements that came from somewhere.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

SC

Below is some info on the Battle of Picacho Pass...AZs only Civil War battle.

P

BATTLE OF PICACHO PASS
April 15, 1862

Captain William P. Calloway, 1st California Volunteer Infantry, with his battalion, consisting of his own Company I, 1st California Volunteer Infantry, Company A, 1st California Volunteer Cavalry, First Lieutenant Benjamin F. Harvey, (Capt. William McCleave, Prisoner at Tucson), Company B. 1st California Volunteer Cavalry, Captain Emil Fritz, Company D, 1st California Volunteer Cavalry, Captain Nathaniel J. Pishon, the Jackass Battery, with two 12-pounder mountain howitzers on pack mules, a total of 276 rank and file.

Captain Calloway continued the march unmolested by Confederate Troops or Indians from Stanwix Station to the Pima Villages, (also referred to as the Casa Blanca (White House) the headquarters of Ammi White. Previous to this Mr. Ammi White, Captain William McCleave along along with ten men of Company A, 1st California Volunteer Cavalry had been captured by Captain Sherod Hunter, Company A, Baylor's Regiment of Texas Mounted Rifles.

Upon his arrival at the Pima Villages, Captain Calloway determined that there was a picket guard at the Picacho Pass Stage Station of the Overland Mail Line (discontinued at the outbreak of the war) consisting of 10 men. This information had been gathered from the Pima Indians who were loyal to the Federal Government.

Captain Calloway, with his battalion, continued their march to the south and east, passing through Sacaton Station, Oneida Station and then onward to Blue Water Station. A total of 43 miles.

At Blue Water Station, 14.9 miles from the Picacho Station, Captain Calloway planned his next move, the vital move which if properly conducted by two of his subordinates, would cut off the line of retreat of the Confederate pickets posted at the Picacho Pass Station, capturing the pickets by surprise, thus being able to march to Tucson surprise the Confederate Garrison there and capture them intact. Picacho Station was located 14.9 miles south and west from Blue Water Station.

Captain Calloway outlined his plan for encircling the enemy at Picacho Pass Station, as follows. Second Lieutenant James Barrett, Company A, 1st California Cavalry commanding a detachment of 12 men, selected from among the three cavalry companies present, to go on an easterly route through a low point on the eastern end of the Picacho Mountains. Lieutenant Ephriam Baldwin, Company D, 1st California Cavalry, commanding a detachment of 10 men, selected also from the three cavalry companies present, leading them in a westerly route.

The plan called for Barrett, coming from the east, and Baldwin, coming from the west to gain the rear of the Confederate pickets at Picacho Pass. These two forces were to unite on the main road south of the station, that lead to Tucson. Captain Calloway with the remainder of the Battalion was to march along the main road toward Picacho Pass Station, surrounding the Confederates and cutting off their line of retreat, would be compelled to surrender as they would be facing a combined force of 276 men, their line of retreat effectively cut off. It was a very good plan, if it would have worked. But in planning and executing a plan of this nature, something can go wrong, as it did, and resulting in unwarranted deaths.

Upon leaving Blue Water Station going in a southerly direction to the low point of the Picacho Pass, Lieutenant Barrett rode and was eight miles in advance of Lieutenant Baldwin who was circling from the west. Barrett arrived well in advance of the other two units. Lieutenant Barrett had a guide with him, Mr. John W. Jones who was a resident of Yuma, Arizona.

When in proximity and the south of the Picacho Pass Station, guide Jones dismounted crawling in close proximity of the Confederate pickets who were in a relaxed posture not expecting any Union troops to be close at hand. Sergeant Holmes had earlier posted a man on a high point forward and to the west with a glass to keep vigilance, but when nothing was seen he returned to the station. One guise used on the advance by the Union troops, was to remove the white covers from their wagons so that they could not be distinguished at a distance. This obviously worked very well. Mr. Jones then returned to Lieutenant Barrett and advised him to dismount and engaged the enemy from the rear, which would have been a total surprise, as the Confederate Pickets, under command of Sergeant Holmes could be taken and in all probability captured without a shot being fired. Barrett disregarded Jones advise to dismount, but Jones again asked Barrett to dismount his men and fight on foot. Again Barrett refused, then led a charge, his men in single file, firing as they advanced. The Confederates reacted and returned fire, and at this point several saddles were emptied. The shots being fired, and maybe at this point one or two were wounded, but also the fact that the California Horses, unused to being around shots and in a mad rush, excited some of the horses, possibly threw a rider or two. This will never be ascertained, as there are no reports or records of any known source at the present to ascertain exactly what transpired.

The Confederates scattered and a general skirmish ensued, lasting between one hour and one hour and half. The Union men mounted and dismounted fought over a general area in thick underbrush, thickets of mesquite, greasewood, cresote brush, cactus and other desert growth, which was heavy and thick in many places along the arroyos and washes. This offered very good concealment and cover for the dismounted Confederates as they have been cut off from their horses which were picketed in the corral of the station. As the fight developed, the pickets retired in a northern direction, firing and keeping concealed in the heavy undergrowth.

At a distance of about 1 mile, 13.9 miles from the Blue Water Station, three Confederates surrendered, 4th Sergeant Henry Holmes, detachment commander, Private William Dwyer and Private John W. Hill Lieutenant Barrett dismounted assisting in tying up the prisoners, and when this was accomplished, remounted, at this time another shot rang out, the ball striking Lieutenant Barrett in the neck and killing him instantly. The fight then continued and at the end of the approximately 1 1/2 hours the fight was over.

The Confederates were completely cut off from their horses, which were picketed at the Picacho Pass Station, a mile to the rear, made their way back to the station to their horses. Barrett had not left anyone to guard the horses, mounted and rode for Tucson to warn Captain Hunter of the skirmish and the advancement of the Union troops.

Lieutenant Baldwin arrived after the fight had ceased, and shortly thereafter Captain Calloway arrived with the remainder of the battalion, to find his plan had not gone as he had hoped. If the Confederate picket would have surrendered as predicted, then Captain Hunter in Tucson would have been taken by surprise as he was unaware that the Union Forces had advanced this far, only 45 miles north and west of Tucson.

The casualties of the fight, Lieutenant Barrett, Company A, 1st California Cavalry, shot in the neck, breaking his neck and dying instantly, Private George Johnson, Company A, 1st California, shot in the region of the heart, died within a few minutes, were killed on the site (referred to as the Battle Site) and their bodies were lying where they fell. Private William S. Leonard, (in Reports spelled Denerd) , Company D, 1st California Cavalry was mortally wounded, shot in the back, the ball passing upwards and exited his mouth. He died early the next morning. The wounded of Lieutenant Barrett's Detachment were as follows, Private William C. Tobin, Company D, 1st California Cavalry, was shot in the forehead, but the brasses of his hat deflected the bullet and left an ugly but not fatal wound, Corporal James Botsford, Co,pany A, wounded, and Private Peter Glenn, Company, were shot in the arm and shoulder, but either wounds were fatal. Reports does state which man was shot in the arm or the shoulder.

Captain Calloway informed of the circumstances, and now knowing that the Confederate troops in Tucson were aware of their advance, set up a defensive position for the night. He deployed his Infantry and Cavalry, unlimbered (unpacked) his two mountain howitzers and set them up in a defensive line ready to meet any enemy advancement.

The troops were then rested and permitted to eat their dinner, to await the enemy. Private Leonard who was mortally wounded suffered, moaning in pain during the night keeping most of the men awake. Private Johnson in the early hours of the morning died, and all men we turned out to dig graves for their three fallen comrades who had perished in battle.

Graves were dug side by side and the three, Lieutenant James Barrett, Company A, 1st California Cavalry, Private Johnson, Company A, 1st California Cavalry, and Private Leonard, Company D, 1st California Cavalry were laid to rest. The graves were hastily dug, not very deep as the ground was very hard in the area. The graves were then covered and on top was laid cactus so as to keep the wolves from digging them up. The wolves were a word used for the coyote.

At this point, Captain Calloway, decided to retire back to the Pima Villages, his point of origin in this narrative. The reasons given by Captain Calloway was that he had only three days rations remaining, and uncertain of the number of Confederate troops in Tucson, his information was that there were some five hundred Confederate Troops in Tucson, and the Pima Villages, which offered a much better place for defense again the enemy.

General Carleton ordered Colonel West to have an inquiry about the actions of the officers concerning the fight at Picacho Pass. After due examination of the facts, Colonel West came to the conclusion that Captain Calloway was not guilty of any misdoings, and from all evidence presented, Lieutenant Barrett, far exceeding his orders, well in front of the other two forces, acted in a rash manner and thus was responsible for the loss and death of the men and the fight.

The Confederate Pickets, 7 in number who retreated from the skirmish, reported to Captain Hunter of the fight. Hunter then dispatched Lieutenant James Tevis, with a detachment to proceed to the Picacho Pass Station to see what had happened to the three men who had not returned. Tevis arrived in the morning and found the Union troops retiring to the Pima Villages to the north and west.

The three Confederate Prisoners were sent to Fort Yuma under escort and on their way, met Lieut. Col. James R. West, with the next advancing force. Being informed of the Battle, West proceeded to the Pima Villages and set up a well fortified position along with Calloway's Battalion, to await further developments.

The above narrative are all of the known facts of the fight gathered from Official Records, Newspaper Articles, and files contained in the Library of the Arizona Historical Society at Tucson, Arizona. From all evidence gathered, Barrett overstepped the bounds of his orders in not awaiting the arrival of Lieutenant Baldwin with his detachment of 10 men before commencing the fight. In so doing, Barrett's rash actions resulted in the escape of the remaining pickets, and Captain Hunter being fore warned of the Union advancement, which eliminated Carleton's and Calloway's plans of capturing the Confederate forces in Tucson. Also this caused the needless death and wounding of his comrades. Lieutenant James Barrett exceeded his orders, acted in a rash manner without proper support is the conclusion and findings of this writer. Although Barrett was a veteran Dragoon Private and Acting Corporal with five years experience, I can only surmise that Barrett may have wanted this fight and victory on his record, for future advancement. There seems to be no other explainable reason for his actions on April 15, 1862.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

History

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

S.C.,

Nice post.

I think you will search a long time looking for "Jacobs and Ludi" in the California Volunteers.

You may want to try looking for two brothers named, Charles and Jacob Ludi instead. Hell of a coincidence. :wink:

Try to find rosters for, 2 Battalion Mo. S. M. Cav. Charles was a Private and Jacob was a Corporal in the Union Army.

I would be interested if you find anything. Aurum, Dr. Glover and Peter may want to rattle their own sources for information on these brothers.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
[email protected]
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Names of Interest

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Aurum,

Of the 655 men in the 1st Battalion, their are a few interesting names other than the ones we are all aware of.

There are four Morenos in Co. E, all Privates. Nothing unusual there.

There is 1 Arispe who was in Co. C, under Capt. John Walker. He was mustered out a Sargent.

There is 1 Grijalba, in Co. E. He was a Private.

There is 1 Cacimiro Peralta, a Private in Co. A.

There is 1 Casimiro Peralto, a Private in Co. A, which seems like a strange coincidence.

Lots of good history to enjoy reading about in 1865.

Thanks again to you, Dr. Glover, Peter and S.C., for our trip through Arizona history.

Respectfully,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Sat May 01, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

Peter,

The info on the Civil War battle was much appreciated.

Thanks.
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

Joe,

The information on the personnel was interesting.

Thanks.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Ludi Brothers

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

S.C.,

Let me know if you can find, or have any information on the Ludi Brothers.
There is an Arizona connection.

Respectfully,

Joe
Linda

PRIMITIVO CERVANTES

Post by Linda »

[quote]There were six companies originally formed: Companies A, B, C, D, E and F. Company D never became a unit and was disbanded. Of the five remaining companies Co. A was raised by Primitivo Cervantes after Robert Postle resigned. [/quote]

Primitivo Cervantes was my great-grandfather, originally a mine agent in Lone Pine, California. Can anyone direct me to any other resources about him? Very little is known.

Thank you very much!

Linda Cervantes Briggs :P
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

In Good Company

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Linda,

Welcome to the LDM Forum.

There is not much detail to be found on your great-grandfather but Frank C. Lockwood mentions him briefly on page 160 of "The Apache Indians".

"The officers were all Americans, except Lieutenants Gallegos and Cervantes who were Mexican born. These Arizona Volunteers were mustered out at the end of one year; but civil and military officers alike speak in very high terms of their effectiveness during their period of service".

A good deal of interesting information follows on the Arizona Volunteers and their deployment.

Lockwood's book is not hard to find, if you don't already have it.

Their is a great deal of history that is tied to the Cervantes name. It would be interesting to trace your family back and see if they were connected to it. Pancho Villa had a Cervantes that was close to him.

Good luck.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo