Goldfield Area

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
rochha
Part Timer

Goldfield Area

Post by rochha »

Hey everyone,

Has anyone spent alot of time in this area? Are there alot of Spanish Trailmarkers by any chance in this area as well? I am not very knowlegable on the goldfield area and am wondering if any big gold mines were ever found or claimed in this area.

Thanks all.....

Rochha
Knun
Part Timer

Goldfield Area

Post by Knun »

Rochha,
No less than 13 mines were (are) located in the old Goldfield mining district. The Bulldog and Mammoth are probably the most well known. The "Old Wasp" is 100 ft. off Apache Trail and is worked regularly.

Many people think that the "Lost Dutchman" was actually in the area. John Wilburn, Al Lewis, "Doc" Rosencrans, among others. These three come to mind simply because they've written about their theories.

If I may, I believe you are refering to the Goldfield Mountains and the surronding area not "Goldfield" persay.
rochha
Part Timer

Goldfield Mtns.

Post by rochha »

Knun,

Yes you are correct about the Goldfield Mountains, are there any stories you know of about Spanish Mines or evidence there of coming from that area to indicate any Spanish mining? Has any treasure tails come from this place as well?

These 3 men you mentioned, were any of them following any Spanish signs out in the Goldfield Mtns? Did these guy's each write a book or was it just a story for a treasure magazine.

I have heard of the Mammoth mine but I did not know it came from that area.

Thanks for the info Knun,

Rochha
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Rocha,

Both Rosecrans and Wilburn wrote manuscripts relating to their theories about the Goldfield area being the location of the LDM. Rosecrans manuscript is called SPANISH GOLD AND THE LOST DUTCHMAN. Wilburns is called the DUTCHMANS LOST LEDGE OF GOLD. Both are available from the SMHS. Wilburn's tome has a brief outline of many of the Goldfield mines.

Interesting thing about these manuscripts is one of them contains an intriguing map...purported to be of the LDM as it relates to Goldfield...but I believe is a fairly good representation of the "real" (imho) LDM area.

P
rochha
Part Timer

Map

Post by rochha »

Peter,

Thanks for the information, any idea where this map came from? Actually, does it look like a Spanish Map, by that I mean phrases that dont make sense, mispellings ect. ?

Thanks again,

Rochha
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Rocha,

Nope, defintely not a "Spanish" map. Just a real simple map that you or I might make. Wont lead anyone to a spot to put a pick in the ground, just gives a general outline of an area.

I believe one of the main reasons that the LDM has not been found is that the information given by "real" clues will get you into the area, but then the trail goes cold. There just arent enough valid clues by way of close in landmarks to get you into say a 10' x 10' area.

P
rochha
Part Timer

Spanish Mines

Post by rochha »

Peter,

Thanks again for your reponse, what I was interested in was if there was any spanish actvity in the Goldfield Mtn. area. Seems there is and Al Lewis found something Spanish related. These artifacts that were found in this mine any idea what they were. I mean were they anything that would indicate " Church " involvement?

Thanks again,

Rochha