For Thomas Glover/Mysterious Figure

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
rochha
Part Timer

For Thomas Glover/Mysterious Figure

Post by rochha »

Mr. Glover,

I have read your book and found it most interesting, when speaking of Walt Glassers death, Don Shade mentions on page's 240 and 242 that at first he did not recognize a mysterious fellow on a ridge, then he say's he does know who the person was. And that someday he was going to tell you but he passed away before he could. Any idea who that person was? Why would he be afraid to tell you who he saw? Do you think that person could have been the person who pretended to be walts son Roland?

Thanks for your reply

rochha
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Rochha,

Don Shade never did tell me who the person was. I have my own hunch, but no facts. There are others on the forum who probably know more. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it was one of the men from Crazy Jake’s camp. The reasons I say this are because: i) whomever it was Don thought they were dangerous, ii) some of the men in Jake’s camp were definitely dangerous, iii) Jake had a camp on the Mesa, iv) the person was above Gassler – thus between Gassler and Jake’s camp, v) years later Len Killen discovered a water/beer cache of Jake’s at the Salt Flats which was either where Gassler was going or coming from. But, it is just a guess.

tg
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Tom,

For what its worth I sort of agree with you as to the pseudo-identity of the fellow seen up above Gasslers body. It might be easy to blame "Jakes Men" but there probably arent a whole lot of other candidates.

The interesting questions are: did Walter make it up to Peters Mesa or not? Did he die going up or coming down? Was foul play involved? Was he chased off the Mesa and succumb to heat and exhaustion as a result?
Folks have differing opinions on the answers. And, of course, the truth we will most likely never know.

P
rochha
Part Timer

Mysterious figure

Post by rochha »

Mr. Glover and Peter:

Thanks for your response, what about the person who pretended to be Gasslers son Roland, and thoughts?

Rochha