Question about Priest stone map

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
rochha
Part Timer

Question about Priest stone map

Post by rochha »

This question is for azmula, what does the fang in the priest's mouth that is holding the cross mean?

Thanks for your reply
azmula
Part Timer

The Priest Stone Map

Post by azmula »

DELETED
Last edited by azmula on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Interesting Name

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Rochha,

That is an interesting name indeed.

I know you asked Azmula to answer your question, but I hope you will accept some more input.

The "fang" you speak of is at the back of the priests mouth. It could be viewed as a "fang" or it could be showing that the priest is smiling and the corners of his mouth are turned up. The smiling version is what is most commonly accepted among the Stone Map fans that I know.

Azmula is mistaken in saying you may have a bad copy. Your copy is just fine. The only question is whether it is a tooth or a smile?

You have waited patiently to post your first message. Welcome to the forum.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Aurum
Part Timer

The Stone maps on display.

Post by Aurum »

xx
Last edited by Aurum on Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Stone Maps

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Aurum,

Thank you for that information.

At one time the Museum had a virtual tour (don't remember how to get there) and one of things you could see, is what looked like the smaller copies of the Stone Maps hanging on a wall.

The Museum is in trouble right now as there is the possibility that their funding is going to be cut from the budget. As a "friend of the Museum" Azmula should be able to shed some light on this problem and tell the forum what they can do to help.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Aurum
Part Timer

Stone Maps display at Mineral Museum

Post by Aurum »

xx
Last edited by Aurum on Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azmula
Part Timer

The Arizona Mining and Minerals Museum

Post by azmula »

DELETED
Last edited by azmula on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Sorry

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Azmula,

I apologize for saying that you said "you may have a bad copy". I was mistaken in that statement.

Do you really believe I would attack you for giving Aurum an answer to his questions concerning the Museum? The fact that I disagree with some of the things you say, does not constitute a personal vendetta. If you are right, I will have no problem saying so. If I believe you are wrong, you should not take it personally if I disagree in a public forum. Your statements are on a public forum and open to dissenting opinions. You asked for comments on your Stone Map articles, good or bad, and seemed upset when the response was sparse. As I recall, you were considering not completing the series. I gave you high praise as well as questioning some of your statements. I thought I was being even-handed
but it became obvious that you took offense. I took the option of backing out of that particular conversation.

You are more than correct that my comments often have a "sarcastic" slant to them. I will try to keep my faulty personality out of any future comments to those who would take them as a personal affront.

That's the best I can offer and hope it will suffice. I expect no one to change their opinion of me or the manner in which they address me here.
With a personality like mine, I have grown use to the honest opinions of others.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
rochha
Part Timer

Post by rochha »

Hello again, I was fortunate enought to handle the stones a few month's back and photograph them, I used a digital camera and took many close ups of the stones. There is a fang/tooth in the corner of the priests mouth, it is there. I have hesitated in responding back just yet because I figured if I said there was a tooth/fang there, that everyone would want to see the picture I took. Well I have spent most of today looking for those pictures and at the moment I cant find them, but I will.

Azmula, I was not offended in any way shape or form of your comment about a bad copy. For I know I have a good copy of them, just cant find at the moment. I have read your articles of the stones and jesuit history and full enjoyed reading them, I cant wait for your book to come out, if it is anything like the articles it should be a dandy. You seem to have done your homework on the jesuit era and history.

Joe, yes I have waited a long time to make a post because I really did not have anything that I felt of importance to say. Thanks for the welcome!

Yes there are problems going on at the museum, all the employee's are worried about being out of a job. I think it would be a shame to close the museum, they have alot of cool stuf there.

One thing that I have liked about the forum here is that if some one feels that they have offended someone an apology is usually right around the corner, I wish most other forums were this way. Joe, that comment was directed your way, you seem to be a stand up guy.

Once again, thanks for the comments, but still, what does the fang/tooth mean in his mouth?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Stones

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

rochha,

Thank you for those kind words. You are obviously a man of poor judgement. :lol:

Can you tell us the approximate dimensions of the Stone Maps you saw?

What really bugs me about your tooth/fang story, is that I believe I have seen that picture of the priest before. For the life of me, I can't remember where. Someone at some time drew that priest with a fang.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
rochha
Part Timer

Poor Judgement

Post by rochha »

Joe,

Notice I used the word " seem ". :lol:

From what I remember the stones are no more than one foot and a half by one foot and a half, they are much smaller than one would think from the photo's. I did not take actual measurements but that is what I would guess.

I dont ever remember seeing a drawn picture of the priest map, if you remember let me know....

rochha
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

DOES SIZE MATTER?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

rochha,

Thank you for your reply.

It would "seem" that you are hinting that appearances can be deceptive. 8O

Did the stones resemble (in size) the picture on page 337 of Tom Glovers book?

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
rochha
Part Timer

stone size

Post by rochha »

Joe,

Yea that is about what they looked like, for me when I first saw them they were smaller than I had expected. The width of the stones is may 3 to 4 inches. Also each stone had it's own piece of wood they were housed in with some sort of coat hanger looking wire keeping them upright on each end of the stone, when I had the heart piece in my hand photographing it in the light by a window I almost dropped it and the person from the museum almost had a heart attack!!!!

They are kept in a room along with other rock pieces, the lighting was terrible that is why I held the center piece of heart rock map by a window to give better lighting.

Hope this helps...

rochha