Comments regarding the Superstition Mountain Journal

Discussions, feedback and suggestions about the Superstition Mountain Journal and its articles.
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Comments regarding the Superstition Mountain Journal

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

It has been over twenty years now since the first Superstition Mountain Journal was issued by the Superstition Mountain Historical Society. The editorial staff has strived to improve this journal with each new issue. We would like to hear from the readers some constructive comments pertaining to the journal so that we may continue to improve the product. Please no comments about the irregularity of its publication dates. We are aware of this and are trying to solve it. Keep in mind that the journal is put out by volunteers who have jobs and work on the journal in there spare time. It's a very time consuming, effort intensive and involved process. What we would like are comments on the contents, stories, and things you would like to see in the journal. Thank you for your help with this request. Gregory E. Davis, Editorial Staff.
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

I have always thought that the SH Journal has evolved to a fine publication over the years. I think the editorial staff has been presenting a good mix of different types of materials. It is almost obligatory to include Lost Dutchman material. But topics related to just the mountains and region themselves are also appreciated. Things like the story on the Weeks Ranch. And mining at Goldfield or the Silver King. The reprints of old newspaper articles related to the area are also nice.

The one thing I noticed about the last (2000) issue was the printing and paper seemed a little inferior to previous issues. Perhaps there are cost issues involved here and there is no choice.

I have one other comment and it may seem trite. But on the title page that has the listing of officers, board members, etc. I noticed the older issues had the emblem of the SMHS itself. The last one (No. 18 - 2000)had the logo of the museum. I personnally thought the publication should have the SMHS emblem - since it is a publication of that body.

All in all, I think the Journal is a fine publication and my hat is off to all those who work to get it out. Thanks.
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Reply to S.C. regarding comments on Journal

S.C. Thank you for your comments pertaining to the Superstition Mountain Journal. They are very much appreciated. You are quite correct with regards to your observation about the quality of the paper and photographs in the last journal. In an attempt to speed up the process of preparing the journal for the printer, the staff has gone to digitizing the photographs on disk. This process enables us to move the journal information back and forth between the various parties who design the format, prepar the stories and provide the proof reading. The finished manuscript can then be handed to the printer as a disk which they insert into the press to produce the final product. In the old days, pictures were taken of photographs to be printed through a process called photogravure. This produced an excellent likeness of the original photograph. Today its done digitally which is what we did with the last set of photographs. Depending on the processing equiptment, input and output, it determined the quality of the picture printed. Apparently we have a lot to learn. It should get resolved by the next issue. I believe the chose of paper was left up to the printer. Will resolve that next time. I will bring your comment pertaining to the SMHS logo to the attention of the staff. Do not know why it was changed. The editorial staff was hoping to get Volume 19, 2001 out before the end of the year however Lanna's computer crashed taking the journal with it. "Curse of the Lost Dutchman Mine" strikes again. It has to be entirely reloaded. There was no back up disk. Another lesson learned. Volume 20, 2002 is about 2/3 done so we are beginning to catch up. Keep the faith and some day we will get back on track. Greg Davis
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Greg,
You guys are doing a great job! I like the new format of the newsletter, too.
Regarding paper quality, has anyone investigated using recycled paper? It can be had with pretty good quality, and of course using it is a worthwhile statement.
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Reply to Wiz

Wiz; Thank you for your comments regarding the Journal and Newsletter. Shirley at the museum came up with the idea to change the newsletter format and so far everyone seems to like it in that style. I will pass on to Lanna and Shirley the comments you had pertaining to the paper. Lanna is still working on putting the next journal together and back into her computer for the printer after it crashed on her and took the journal with it, however progress is being made. Greg Davis
señor x
Greenhorn

Post by señor x »

Greg: For those of us waiting for the next issue(s) of the Journal, how about a preview of what articles or subjects will be covered in upcoming editions? Even if it was just a quick list of the article subjects, it would be interesting.

As far as subjects for future articles in the journal, there are of course lots of possibilities being discussed on this web site. One subject that I brought up quite a while back was for more info on the earliest cattlemen who spent time in the Superstitions. (or any other settlers). My comment on this web site was that I hadn't seen much detail on this subject; most authors start with the Jim Bark era. Might be an appropriate subject for a historical journal?
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Reply to Senor X

Senor X: Good idea. The current status of the Jorunal is thus: Lanna's computer that deleated the journal files has decided it's time to join the proverbial round tin file cabinet located in the back alley! She purchased a new computer and is now in the process of learning how to use and program it for the journal. When finally entered and published the next journal will contain the following stories. 1. Dedicated to Rick Peck. 2. Legends and Stories of the Superstitions, by Clay Worst. 3. Ruth/Gonzales Map, by Steve Creager. 4. Busca/American Indian Tales, by Peter Esposito. 5. Memories of the Tim Shack, by Clay Worst. 6. Bob Wards Cabin Gone, by Jack San Felice. 7. Goldfield. Boom Bust, and Boom, by Tom Kollenborn. 8. Recent Publications, by Gregory Davis. The story of the cattlemen and ranches in the Superstitions has been an ongoing project for myself, Jack Carlson, Jack SanFelice, and Tom Kollenborn for many years. The problem emanates from the fact that nothing has been written about them. Thus we have to do all the basic research in the papers, public records and interviews with the descendents of the ranch families involved with the region. A lot of progress has been made. There are several stories in back issues of the journal pertaining to the Weekes Ranch, Miles Ranch, The Knight's involvement with the Reavis Ranch and Clemans Cattle Company. Speaking about the Clemans Cattle Company, there is enought history regarding that family to write several books. I will see what we can put together with the research at hand for future journal stories. Greg
nicoh
Greenhorn

Proofreading/editing

Post by nicoh »

Hi Greg.
I didn't know how else to get hold of you, so I'll try here. I need to get hold of the next journal so I can proof/edit it. Lanna (and Ron Feldman) have my email address and phone number.
Thanks
nico (nick) h
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Sounds like a great issue, I can't wait!
azmula
Part Timer

Superstition Mountain Journal

Post by azmula »

Deleted
Last edited by azmula on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don
Part Timer

?

Post by don »

hello mr davis ive been advised to contact you as the best chance of obtaining an answer to a question i have . so here goes. was there ever any court case involving leroy purnell and jack keenan regardin disputed ownership of a map relating to mine in superstitions in the 1940s as stated by barry storm in his book thunder gods gold?thanks
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Nicoh: (Nick). Lanna has the journal information and stories. She is the one you should contact to coordinate the editing of the journal. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Lanna's computer ceased functioning requiring her to buy a new one. Now she has to learn how to use it, reprogram it, and re-enter the journal material. Contact her and see what the two of you can do to help with the project. Thank you. Greg Davis
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Azmula: I must confess that I have deliberately avoided stories pertaining to the Stone Map controversy. There are so many theorizes developing as to what they represent that it's become a quandary equal to, or greater than, the Legend of the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine. People cannot even agree as to the location where they were found! Unfortunately most of the people who were originally involved with there creation or contemporary discovery, and who could provide the correct story, are no longer alive. Even at that, those who were involved at the time put out a number of misleading stories to the general public to hide the truth since there were actively using the maps in there own treasure quest. Maybe some day we will do a Stone Map article if one can be put together from an objective point of view. Cordially, Greg Davis
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Don: I do not know the answer to you question. Pernell and Keenan were involved with an "inquire" conducted by the authorities after the disappearance of Adolph Ruth. I am assuming your inquire pertainins to the note at the bottom of page 74 in Barry Storms 1967 edition of Thunder Gold Gold, The Mountains That Were God. I will have to do some research at the records office of the Mesa Court however, don't hope for any positive results. With the smaller local courts these records have been thrown out and no longer exist. This is expecially true when dealing with the court records pertaining to the Justic of the Peace. Cordially Greg Davis
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

ok thanks mr davis for your reply.
don
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

I second Azmula's call for a stone map article. Whether you believe they are real or fake, they have certainly become an integral part of the Superstition Mountain story. An article telling the stories of the different searchers, another outlining various interpretations that have been used and their results, another outlining arguments pro and con regarding their genuineness,... it seems like there's quite a bit of potential material, even without taking a position on the matter.

And, it's a public interest item. Mysterious stone maps! It seems like it might boost membership in the SMHS, which is nothing but good.
Emanon 2
Greenhorn

Post by Emanon 2 »

I have had the opportunity to examine The Bark Notes and the QED reports and also many original photos taken in the 50's. I have also visited the Superstition Mountain Museum at Goldfield and have read The Bark Notes in the Red Tome. My question is this... If the Bark Notes were stolen and /or copied by someone, how did they end up in Mr. Davis's possession?, and WHO, gave them to the Superstition Mountain Journal ? Does The Superstition Mountain Journal/Editor(s) give any credit to any one who donates such important historical information? How about any photos/maps/letters or documents that are often seen in The SMHJ? I have direct knowledge that most of what I am talking about,ie, maps, photos,letters have somehow ended up in Mr. Davis's possession... As a Research Historian one wonders how many copies are there? If the photos, maps letters and various other documents are the originials that I have thoroughly examined are authentic items, then WHO donated them to the SMHJ, and for WHAT reason? I am interested in any response from whom ever is knowledgable about this request. I, will anxiously await any replies... let the Truth be known.. respectfully I am Emanon 2... :?: :?:
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

I believe many individuals donated those items. They were individuals such as Al Reser, Clay Worst, Richard Peck, etc., etc. etc. No mystery. Mr. Davis has known just about everybody - and just about everybody has in one way or another donated items.

Mr. Davis is one of the world's best researchers regarding the Lost Dutchman - if not THE best. It is no wonder he has such things. He has spent years and years and years collecting items. That is why he IS the Director of Research and Aquisitions for the Superstition Mountain Historical Soceity and rightfully is on the Board of Directors - a body he helped form.
Last edited by S.C. on Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emanon 2
Greenhorn

Post by Emanon 2 »

Dear SC, In reply to your answer... I can assure you that none of the persons that you have named are the ones who submitted the Bark Notes and or donated them to the SMHJ. I, hope that you are not offended if I disagree with you on this matter... I would like to hear from Mr.Davis. I thank you for your interest....respectfully I am...Emanon 2 :wink:
Aurum
Part Timer

Post by Aurum »

xx
Last edited by Aurum on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

I am not certain how many folks on this forum have gone through the Davis/SMHS collection, but I can attest to both the enormity of the material in Greg's library and the effort that Greg has gone through in order to amass that collection. I myself have barely scratched the surface, but have been amazed by some of the information I have come across.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that Dutch Hunting involves the occasional "borrowing" of information by one Dutch Hunter from another.
Due to this, it is often difficult, if not impossible to chase down the origins of some of the older documentation. It would not surprise me if a fair amount of the collection's origin has simply been lost over time.

P
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Superstition Mountain Journal

Gentelman; In reply to the last five posts I submit the following answers: 1. To Wiz and Azmula regarding the Stone Maps. Dispite my personal feelings regarding this subject, I will be more than delighted to submit to the Superstition Mountain Journal editorial committee any and all stories sent in from anyone pertaining to the Stone Maps for inclusion into said Journal. Just sent in the stories. 2. To Emanon 2, S.C., Aurum, and Peter: The reason that the collections donated to the Superstition Mountain Historical Society are in my possession at my home is that there is no other safe place currently available to store them. We surely are not going to put them in the wood frame building currenty being use as the Superstition Mountain Lost Dutchman Museum. Secondly, All items donated to the Superstition Mountain Historical Society have been iventoried, listed and catalogued. The are housed in SEPARATE filing cabinates from my own collection. There is a clear and undisputable LINE between my collection and the SMHS collection. Thirdly, Why would anyone donate there material to the Superstition Mountain Historical Society. That's obvious! They want there life time collections protected, preserved, and made available to the general public for research purposes. Otherwise it would end up in the trash or private hands unavailable for use as a research tool. For the record. The collections of the Superstition Mountain Historical Society are available to the general public on an appointment basis. This also inclues my own personal collection. Forth; Yes, the Superstition Mountain Journal gives credit due to all its sources and references when they are know. Remember, the Journal is put our by volunteers and not professionals. We cannot put together a staff like the Arizona Historical Society in Tucson which puts out a quarterly journal of the highest quality. That type of publication is simply beyond our ability at this time. Maybe sometime in the future but not now. We do our best to put out a quality publication BUT we do make MISTAKES and don't always get it correct. Pinch yourself. If it hurts then your are human. Finally, regarding the Bark Notes. I am not going to get into that discussion for there is not enouth space here to list the souces and its history. Since Emanon 2 has been to my house and seen the collection, then I invite him to call me and we will discuss the details surrounding the Bark Notes. One last note. This forum site was set up as a place to discuss the journal. I.E. suggestions on how to improve it. Stories you would like to hear. Progress as to when the next journal will be published. Etc. It was not designed as a debate site. Please do that at the Lost Dutchman Goldmine Forum. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Correction to my last: I intended to say on the last line: "Please do that at the LDM Discussion site on the Forum." Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Gentelman: The Journal for 2001 is done and has been picked up at the printers. It will go out in the mail before the end of the week. Copies of it should be available for sale at the museum sometime after the general membership receives there copies. Stories for the 2002 journal are now being assembled and we are setting a target date to have it out before the end of the year. Cordially, Gregory Davis
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Hi,

Any sign of the 2002 journal?