Bumble Bee lost treasure

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
Rookies
Greenhorn

Bumble Bee lost treasure

Post by Rookies »

Hello everyone, I am a newbie looking for any info about Bumble Bee's lost treasure. I have followed this forum for a while and after seeing the vast amount of knowledge that you all have, I figured that this would be a good place to start. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Re: Bumble Bee lost treasure

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

http://treasuretrovegold.blogspot.com/2 ... -gold.html

i used to live in bumble bee...just about any creek will show color...go up hill to find the old mines.
Rookies
Greenhorn

Post by Rookies »

Thanks for the reply. I have read this before and the problem I'm having is finding where Slate and Squaw creeks converge. I can't even find where they come close to eachother. Also I have read where the 2 prospecters camped in Bronco Canyon, but the only Bronco canyon I can find is clear over in Cave Creek. It's clearly not close to BB. Sorry to ramble but my username says rookies for a reason. Thanks again. R
alan m
Part Timer

Post by alan m »

You need to locate an old topo map of the area from the time period of interest.
Creeks have a habit of changing course over the years due to seasonal flashflooding.
I suspect that your topo is 1972 or maybe 68 vintage.
A good book to check out for mining info on Bisbee is "1000 old mines of arizona"
it was published in 1878 or therebouts and reprinted in limited quantity around 1968
Best of luck
Alan
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

i am wondering how we got to bisbee?
when the interstate was put in much was disturbed...bumblebee is only a mile or so west of the interstate...so...that puts the search area into that new federal cultural zone...from bloody basin south to seven springs...(approx)...sure need to cover your bottom digging in there.

but...the gold is uphill...above bumble bee...sure some of the washs have color...but real hard work to get to it.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Rookies
Greenhorn

Post by Rookies »

Thanks Pip, I am just getting started so it's gonna be a little while before I bring a shovel with me. I really appreciate the info you have given me. Like I said before, I have been reading this forum for years and it never ceases to amaze me how much one can learn here. I learn more in a single afternoon on here verses a week pouring over books. Thanks again. R
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

the part that does not make sense to me is the mine is EAST of bumble bee...while it is possible...that direction is a lava flow...a real deep one...so the gold would have to be under the lava...to the west, north or south are plenty of gold mines and prospects.

??? guess that is why the mine is lost.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

here is a great map of az...way back when...

the verde river is called rio san francisco...how odd.
Rookies
Greenhorn

Post by Rookies »

I thought the same thing. There are more points of interest to the North and to the South. Not to mention the West, there is plenty out there. Think you're right about the fact of why it's still lost. Things just don't add up. In your last post you said "here is an old map" If you sent something, I didn't see it. Thanks again for taking the time to talk to me about it, I really appreciate it. R
Rookies
Greenhorn

Post by Rookies »

Sorry, misquoted you. You said "here is an GREAT map"
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

how odd...at first i thought it was me forgetting the links...but now?
let me try to find the map again...it was an 1860 map of arizona...
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Rookies
Greenhorn

Post by Rookies »

Thanks Pip
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/argolo.html

a quote"

In the Black Canyon City district, in the southeast part of county, located between east foothills of the Bradshaw mountains and the Aqua Fria River, there was a total production of around 50,000 ounces of gold. There are many area mines, especially the Howard mine, and 1 mile below there were some productive placers gold deposits. In all regional watercourse and slope wash gravels in this district you can find placer gold. Along Black Canyon at several places, in gravel deposits, placer gold is reported. Near Turkey, there are some small placers worked annually. Between mouth of Arrastra creek and Cleator and in American and Mexican gulches, there were some productive placers. For 20 miles along Humbug, French, and Cow creeks, you will find the famous Humbug placers. In the upper gravels to 20 feet deep in the Humbug placers you can find flake and flour gold at or near bedrock you can find some very coarse gold.
"
Rookies
Greenhorn

Post by Rookies »

Thanks Pip, this really helps me narrow down things a bit. There's a lot of good info in here. Again, I really appreciate everything.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

hey rookie...here is a piece...if you go through...find the section on big bug creek...just north of your search area.

http://www.admmr.state.az.us/DigitalLib ... tQuads.pdf