WILD WEST

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

WILD WEST

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

i turned up an old copy of WILD WEST, June 1970.
this issue has an article, APACHE'S GOLDEN LEDGE. by, Maurice Kildare.
an amusing article...has the two soldier story line included...
the part that interested me..was an old photo of the southern edge of the supers... it shows a road/trail..meandering along the cliffs edge...

anyone see this article? even the rocks look different in this photo...perhaps a pre earthquake piece?
Cubfan64
Expert

Re: WILD WEST

Post by Cubfan64 »

Never seen it PWP - any chance you can scan and post the photo? Is there a chance it's a photo of some other mountains that they just "used" for the article - like a "stock" photo or something?
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

i do not have the ability to scan just now cubfan...i'll send you the mag.
not a stock photo..i believe i have seen most of those...
this pic is around 15 degrees off the banner for this site...shift to the right.
on closer examination...the road may be a single power line...though no poles are evident....
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

This is killing me, I looked all over the net for online back issues and can't find squat. Greg, do you have this magazine?

BTW I really doubt it was pre-earthquake era, they didn't take photos very often back then, and this magazine is only 70 years old so it would had to have been a pre-existing photo, which wouldn't have even been a "photo" but a tin type, I believe.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

glass plates, silver nitrate photography began just prior to the civil war.

real decent photos...ask ansel adams.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

http://www.ioffer.com/i/apache-s-golden ... -153413360

scroll down and see the photo...

dj should learn some research skills...prior to telling somone he made it up.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

pippinwhitepaws wrote:dj should learn some research skills...prior to telling somone he made it up.
I never said anyone made anything up. What I did SAY was that the photo was PROBABLY NOT PRE-EARTHQUAKE ERA (specifically saying "I doubt"). After looking at it I will assert again that it probably was NOT, it looks like the photos were taken by the magazine for the article IN MY OPINION.

Also I said the photo, in the case that it WAS a pre-earthquake photo, would have to not only pre-date the magazine itself, but would have been a "tintype" instead of a photo "I BELIEVE". I said this based on the knowledge that tintypes were more commonly used than photographs because they were easier/cheaper to make.

Ansel Adams was born in 1902, well after the earthquake in the Supers. The civil war was started in 1861, not long before the earthquake, relatively speaking.

The first pinhole camera was used in 1000AD, though the concept was discussed as early as 300BC.

The first "photograph" was taken in 1826

Tintypes were invented in 1853 and patented in the US in 1856. They were invented to replace the less than stellar technology of the ambrotype, which produced a positive image on a sheet of glass instead of a negative image on a sheet of Iron like the tintype.

Anything else?
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

rather convoluted history lesson.

how about cs fly...
really...how obnixious to post you are the only sourse of factual imformation.
here is a page of glass plate photos taken....and still reproduced...
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/na-geronimophotos.html

didn't take them often?
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

PWP - for what it's worth, it seems as though you're reading more into Randy's comments than he was saying.

Randy - I'll bet any money that Greg has a copy of that magazine. It would be interesting to try to take a "current" photo that matches the angle and location as best as possible.

Inteesting story
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

http://www.answers.com/topic/history-an ... hotography

yes, i am sure you are correct cubfan...i mean really, who am i to expect someone to respond on topic...which was "have any of you read this article?"
instead i get comments on how out of contact i am to believe this may be a glassplate photo...one of the most popular methods of image preservation ever created...
..."Within a few years glass-negative processes were to displace completely the daguerreotype and calotype processes from mainstream photography. Glass plates became the most widely used support for negative materials for the remainder of the 19th century and continued to be important for much of the 20th..."

i just wanted to have a friendly conversation about this article...too bad.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

yes, i am sure you are correct cubfan...i mean really, who am i to expect someone to respond on topic...which was "have any of you read this article?"
No need for sarcasm - it was just my opinon which is all any of us can offer. I thought it was an interesting photo and would just like to see one taken from the same angle/spot today to see what the differences are in the rocks.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Wow are you pms'ing or something? I just offered my opinion. I never said I was right and you were an idiot.

Hopefully someone who you don't have an axe to grind with will post something "useful" in your thread, I won't be answering this one anymore. My apologies for pissing in your cheerios.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

pippinwhitepaws wrote:rather convoluted history lesson.

how about cs fly...
really...how obnixious to post you are the only sourse of factual imformation.
here is a page of glass plate photos taken....and still reproduced...
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/na-geronimophotos.html

didn't take them often?
pip,

Have you seen the small (30 pictures) book that his wife published after his death?
He died in 1901 and her book was published around 1906. A limited edition of 500 copies was published in 1986 and I have one of them.

There is a short history of Camillus and Mollie in the book, and it's an interesting read.
I was happy to see you bring "Buck" into your conversation. Had to dig out my copy of "GERONIMO: THE APACHE CHIEF". :)

For me, the big name in Native American photography was Curtis. I have hundreds of his pictures. Many are on the wall behind me.

Joe Ribaudo
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

no joe, i have not seen the book you mention...i have spent a decade or more attempting to find several of cs fly's locations in skeleton canyon area...

curtis was a master of photography...his work does suffer from being staged..but he does capture the noble savage..
i believe that apache maiden is the most telling of his work.
she stares directly into the lens...and her 15 year old thoughts towards the photographer are not civilized at all...
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Pip,

Here are two short passages from the book:

"Fly photographed the Indians in their camp and at the meeting. He did not hesitate to ask the warriors to shift position or turn their heads to improve the composition of the pictures."

"C.S. Had a flair for photo journalism and he often traveled about the countryside with his photographic equipment loaded on a packhorse or in his buckboard. He usually carried a miner's pick as well, in the hope of making a big strike."

Fly suffered from depression and "turned to drink". He died in Bisbee at the age of 52. Depression seems to be a recurring theme in early Arizona.

Joe
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

i don't know anything about depression or arizona. :mrgreen: