Doc Rosecrans’ “Heart”

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
novice
Expert

Doc Rosecrans’ “Heart”

Post by novice »

Should I be able to see the “Heart” that Doc Rosecrans described by using Google Earth? Doc said the heart was 140 feet across (Half of a football field). I know almost nothing about Google Earth and any help will be appreciated.

From the McGee-Rosecrans Correspondence I have transcribed several references that provide clues as to the “Heart’s” location. I have also included the references to the location where the original stones were alleged to have been buried and to rocks Doc found there that matched Doc’s “Heart” rocks.

Doc wrote;

1965 Jul 26
"Since that time, I went up near that ranch too. I was looking for the ‘heart’ treasure. We did find a large, red heart on the side of a hill made from loose rocks. But we cannot decide exactly what that might mean. The heart is 140 feet across."

1965 Sep 3
"Concerning the red heart on the side of the hill, it was not built by human hands. But we believe it was ‘shaped’ by the Spanish. It was actually a bunch of loose rocks laying flat with the surfaces of the ground on the slope of a hill. It could be classified as a sort of land-slide. And we took a picture of it in color. However, the color didn’t turn out too well but it wasn’t too bad either. I thought it quite a coincidence that this thing was heart-shaped and reddish in color just like the inlaid heart on the stone map.

Nonetheless, we do not know just what the heart is supposed to represent so we are leaving it along (sic)for the time being. To dig in the center of a rock slide would be rather costly. It would be necessary to timber, etc."

1965 Nov 17
"I have been on the Jeep road from the Reavis Ranch road on several occasions. But it is no longer kept up. So we prefer to walk to the heart (about a mile) from windy point just around the Castle Dome part of the road."

1966 Dec 21
"I wish he (Paul Berndt) had been able to get over here sooner since I have learned more about the heart treasure. I went over to where it (The Stone Maps) had been dug up. And I found some stones which were identical to the stones in the heart which we found in the hills 18 miles to the north. So I am sure we are in the right area. And I now think that one starts from the heart rather than digging in the center of it. I want to go back and look the area over again.

In the above paragraph I should have said that “I went to where the stone maps were dug up.” Not to where the treasure, itself, was dug up. Because no one has found the treasure as of yet. If it exists. But at the place where the stones were dug up, there are some loose rocks laying around. These rocks were put on the ground in the form of an arrow pointing to where the some map was buried (withits corner sticking out). - - And these rocks, I am sure far from the place where the treasure, itself, is buried. So I want to check this out. – And the road is now open to where I want to go."

1967 Mar 22
"I don’t know what Marlowe meant by his “hill of the maps”. But just west of Florence Junction there is a flat area where Indians used to camp (or so I heard), and this is the area where I understand the maps were buried. So I found some red rocks that had come from the heart area. They had been laid in the shape of an arrow at one time. - - I say stone map because it was one map that was first found. Then they dug up some more maps, three in all plus the red heart.

I also had a chance to go back to the heart area with a party from New Mexico. We went to the Reavis ranch first and hiked on the way back. I climbed the little sharp hill across from the heart. It had a pile of rocks sitting on top with a square hole in the center like something had been sitting in the hole. Another pile of rocks was laying next to this first pile as if someone had taken them off the top. So I don’t know what to think about that. I can’t imagine the Spanish hiding anything in such a manner. But something had been hidden there. Anyway, I saw nothing else and I do not think I will ever go back to the area again. New information is a rare thing.. and I have no particular place to look any more. – I’m glad to be off the hook, however."

1968 Dec 17
"But as yet I have not gotten back to my original spot, the heart area. I want to go one day soon. It is so hard a place to get to. But I now hear that the Reavis ranch road has been reopened as far a s Castle Dome. I heard it was closed. But I guess the deer hunters have put some pressure on the Forest. Anyway, when I can get a fide to the end of the road, I am going in again. Might see more of interest this time."

1971 Nov 22
"One of the two brothers was down here again for a short visit who first showed us the map copied from the stone map. Ralph is from Oregon, and he and his brother knew the Uncle of Marlowe. I think his name was Bob. Anyway Ralph says that the maps were found just east of Queen Creek bridge, west of Florence junction, and that the new road on the north side (for west traveling cars) now covers up the place where the maps were found. I had heard this before. As far as I am concerned, however, this part of the story is still a mystery. If Bob found the maps (found one and then went back later to dig up the others), why did he not know there were three maps in all (not counting the little inset heart)? And Ralph said he only knew about two of the maps. So I say it is still a mystery of a sort. – Now you mention the secrecy, etc. So I agree that it is’ fishy’."

Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: Doc Rosecrans’ “Heart”

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

Thanks for the additional information.

"If Bob found the maps (found one and then went back later to dig up the others), why did he not know there were three maps in all (not counting the little inset heart)? And Ralph said he only knew about two of the maps."

From the start, for me, I didn't believe there was anything more than the two trail maps. Never gave the Priest/Horse stone any credence at all. Maybe that's why I never found a treasure.

I think the quote above puts a little more weight behind my conclusions, but that's just me. All of the people who claim they were witness to all of the stones, had something to do with finding them.....or whatever, are all, IMHO, part of the "Hell I Was There" crowd......All of them!

Take care,

Joe
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Gary:
On GE,go to windy pass and from the trail (where it splits to go around both sides of the large trees)click on the little ruler thing at the top first and select miles as scale,draw out a line due west .75 mi.Look around the end point of your line and you should see a red triangle with the point up.I don't see a heart but it must be around there somewhere.

Regards:SH.
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

actually,I believe I should have said point down....SH.
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

Somehiker,

I did get as far as your instructions took me and I could not locate the “Heart” either.

Doc wrote: “I have been on the Jeep road from the Reavis Ranch road on several occasions. But it is no longer kept up. So we prefer to walk to the heart (about a mile) from windy point just around the Castle Dome part of the road.”

When he speaks of being on the Jeep road "from"" the Reavis Ranch Road it sounds like there was a four wheel drive road that left the ranch road. (Westerly) It sounds like they are walking down that abandon road toward the Heart?

Do you see anything on GE that might indicate that old road?

Joe,

I’m probably repeating myself as I think I went down this trail several years ago on the forum. I always questioned linking the trail maps with the horse/priest map.

Travis Tumlinson died in October 1961.

It seems clear that Doc and the Davis brothers, Gene and Ralph, were only aware of the trail maps and their searches were based on those maps only.

Travis’ friend, Bob Bair (Peck File) was also only aware of the trail maps.

I believe the existence of the trail maps can be traced back with some reliability to at least 1952. (Garman)

I also believe that the horse/priest map was part of the Tumlinson collection but perhaps at a later date. Travis had the horse/priest when the “Hainers” were in Hood River in 1959 or possibly 1960. (Hainer Letters – Not uploaded yet)

I’m with Mike here and will give Clarence Mitchell a clean bill of health if there is a hoax involved since I believe he received the maps in May of 1962.

Travis’ friend, Bob Schultz (Peck file) seemed to have been aware of the horse/priest map.

Travis’ Uncle Robert (Peck File) was also aware of the horse/priest map. It appears to me that Travis and Robert may have been estranged for quite some time and this would push the timeline of the horse/priest stone back earlier than 1959.

You can probably tell that I’m questioning the whole Travis stumbling over the maps story near Florence Junction. :)

I suspect you are right in questioning the “Hell, I was there” crowd. Johnny Steel, Noble Dwyer, Charlie Miller, etc.

Garry
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Hi Gary:
The old jeep trail most likely traced one of the paths originally used by the Hohokam and Salado to access the central part of the range and currently connects with the Apache Trail via the gravel road that provides a link to the Reavis trailhead.From the trailhead,which has a nice view of Apache Lake and the marina,the trail is now mostly a
footpath and horse trail with many older branch trails that ultimately lead to places like the Tonto Cliff dwellings,Circlestone,springs and other ruins as well.The trail is easy to follow on the sat views, GE and the older,often more revealing, black and whites.

Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Somehiker wrote:Hi Gary:
The old jeep trail most likely traced one of the paths originally used by the Hohokam and Salado to access the central part of the range and currently connects with the Apache Trail via the gravel road that provides a link to the Reavis trailhead.From the trailhead,which has a nice view of Apache Lake and the marina,the trail is now mostly a
footpath and horse trail with many older branch trails that ultimately lead to places like the Tonto Cliff dwellings,Circlestone,springs and other ruins as well.The trail is easy to follow on the sat views, GE and the older,often more revealing, black and whites.

Wayne and Garry - you may want to address your questions to Tom Kollenborn and see if he has any insights. His e-mail is on his Kollenborn Chronicles pages and he's usually really good about responding when he's not terribly busy. I would guess he'd be a pretty good source for this one.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Doc passed away around the mid eighties I think, so if you got no answers by then ask at the rendezvous. I would figure Doc was visited by more than a few folks that turn out every year.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

???
not sure how you guys jumped to jeep trails?

several maps in the arizona room...hayden collection, show the jeep/horsie/foot trail to the ranch...from both west and south...i believe there also was one from the ranch north to pinto creek at one time..