Yellow Jackets

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
Somehiker
Part Timer

Re: Yellow Jackets

Post by Somehiker »

One photo.The others I will add to a new album I'm working on.
Woven mesh has very small openings...about 1/8th inch,with a bit of a compound curve to it.Seems too small for screening.Was deep inside,where it was very dry,but sticking out of the stone dust and rubble.
Three balls are lead,including the one that I smacked with the hammer.The sprue has not been cut off as closely as the other two.Lots of silica bits mixed in with the lead as well.Poor QC,I guess.The fourth is larger and is actually stone.Lots of both in this place.The other stuff was just next door.

Regards:SH.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

SH,

I would examine the roof of that mine or cave and see if there aren't small holes in it. That kind of mesh might be fastened to the surface of the roof to help stabilize sagging or ground movement.

Just a thought.

Take care,

Joe
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Joe:
No.This cave and the other nearby did not show any signs of having been mined.I looked them over pretty well and didn't see any drill holes either.The smaller one wouldn't have been of much use for sheltering more than one or two.The larger a few men at best.A bit of blackening of the roof of the larger one,but this may have been mineral stain.I tried to bend the mesh with my hands.I wasn't able to get it to even flex at all,so despite being badly rusted,it's pretty high grade stuff.What did miners use for eye protection way back?
I looked online but no joy.Found a shaker box in Rogers Canyon once.But it had a 1x4 wood frame and flat wire mesh (hardware cloth type) of about 3/8 or 1/2 inch size.That old Browning shoulder stock was nearby.

Regards:SH
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

I actually meant Peters canyon....not Rogers in that last post. :?
SH.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

SH,

"A bit of blackening of the roof....."

Perhaps from a small cooking fire? I can see a coffee pot sitting on your mesh over such a fire. I have done much the same many times. Small pot of boiling water waiting for the addition of some dehydrated food? It's always been handy to have some kind of fire grate out in the boonies. Your's would be perfect.

Take care,

Joe
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Thats it.Tried to fry an egg on it,but that didn't work out too well. :roll:
Fire hardening probably explains the temper as well.
Who woulda thunk.....Wayne
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Hello Somehiker,

Have to say there really are no followers or leaders associated with our efforts. Oh one could say we all believe to the man/woman in a higher power but that is ultimately a personal choice.

Interesting you use the word destruction. I would use the word preservation. Saving the remnants of a culture, keeping safe its heroes, and in some cases your heroes, is not the work of folks grounded in nefarious purposes.

We have left those behavior patterns to the locals and some not so local who focused on greed, and the pettiness of power and wanton slaughter.

Let`s just say those individuals will have to look elsewhere to satisfy their interests.

Just curious, have you ever visited the chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona? A marvelous opportunity to connect to whatever ones connect to and on the grounds is a wonderful observatory.

The folks who did this must have been incrediably special.

Suspect the view can reveal things that are remarkable. 8O

Regards,

Klondike
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

"Perhaps earthquake is not the proper word to describe the destruction of the passageways of Oz. Let`s just say the thunder gods were busy."
"The truth that is recorded in the caved in rooms that existed in Monetzuma`s castle before they were destroyed."
"Interesting you use the word destruction. I would use the word preservation. Saving the remnants of a culture, keeping safe its heroes, and in some cases your heroes, is not the work of folks grounded in nefarious purposes."

I'm not sure if I should be confused,Klondike.After all,your claims did tend to hint at some kind of intervention.Perhaps my relative lack of intellect has caused me to misunderstand.
I have been to Sedona.I choose to avoid,as I customarily do in touristy areas,the town and the chapel.I have always failed to appreciate the nuances,inherent in places which offer more in the way of artsy quiche than enlightenment.A character flaw I suppose.An observatory,as an additional attraction to lure passerby,would have been a "no-brainer" for the architect.After all,the aquarian residency includes a number of stars from time to time and such an observatory would allow the faithful to observe their movements.

klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Hello Somehiker.

Have to say Sedona has always been, at least to me, one of the most beautiful places on earth.

The history of Sedona and its relationship to the Superstitions and other places is remarkable and it is written in the red rocks there.

Yes there has been a lot of intervention. It is just importent that the motives for those actions be clear.

Yes an observatory would allow one to follow the stars, the same ones that brought visitors here over a thousand years ago. In fact those stars will take you, well it doesn`t matter.

Good luck in your explorations.

Klondike
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Just more castoffs from them folks that cooked their dried foods,probably.
Maybe a pot holder and a bag opener?
Don't do much cookin out there,so I didn't have any to compare.
Careless litterbugs! :roll:

Attachments
Apr2010 Cu.JPG
Apr2010 Cu.JPG (187.71 KiB) Viewed 23213 times
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Dang SH - you DO have an eye for things don't you!!!! Neat items - I have a copper spear head in the same shape as the one you have there that I got from a farm in Wisconsin.
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Nah.It's a bag opener.
That spikey end is probably for pickin bits of dried food outa yer teeth. :wink:
The other thing was close to the mesh.Thats why I think it's some kinda pot holder.
Back side has a pattern sorta like the mesh.Not made by the mesh,though.Been checking that out a bit more as well.Seems like that type of mesh has been around since the fifteen century.Used for face guards for fencing.Maybe some miner took it along to use while chippin rock.Not inconceivable.A little bit of research tends to point a finger elsewhere,however.If it had been used as a fire grate,it probably would have melted.The piece is too small and the wire too fine for that kind of use.

zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Nice find!!! As all can tell I am finally on my summer break and avoided 4 months in Yuma to sit by the pool and give my feet a well deserved rest. Had a nice trip on Memorial day to the Pioneers cemetery with Greg, my son Trevor and good friend Peter.
Was hoping Kraig would pop in, but he didn't. Trevor was disapointed because he remembers the cemetery as being Kraigs! He did get a chance to meet Marshall Trimble though and we talked a lot of baseball. Peter and I finished the day off visiting some of his family in south Phoenix and a trip to the Salt River cemetery where his family used to have picnics and play.

We wound up at Greenwood who had punch and popcorn and spent a few hours drifting around to a number of notable grave sites including Dick Holmes.

A different Memorial day than usual, but a pretty enjoyable day with family and good friends.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

zentull wrote:Nice find!!! As all can tell I am finally on my summer break and avoided 4 months in Yuma to sit by the pool and give my feet a well deserved rest. Had a nice trip on Memorial day to the Pioneers cemetery with Greg, my son Trevor and good friend Peter.
Was hoping Kraig would pop in, but he didn't. Trevor was disapointed because he remembers the cemetery as being Kraigs! He did get a chance to meet Marshall Trimble though and we talked a lot of baseball. Peter and I finished the day off visiting some of his family in south Phoenix and a trip to the Salt River cemetery where his family used to have picnics and play.

We wound up at Greenwood who had punch and popcorn and spent a few hours drifting around to a number of notable grave sites including Dick Holmes.

A different Memorial day than usual, but a pretty enjoyable day with family and good friends.
Heck I was beginning to think you fell off the face of the earth!!! Randy too!!

I saw your facebook invitation and will accept it tonight when I get home - work computer won't allow me to access it. Enjoy some time off - sounds like you've earned it and then some!
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Don't think a week goes by where I don't speak with either Randy or Greg, just it was tough fitting in any computer time after working 2 shifts! Had to fit in 3 months of baseball too! Now that I am down to one shift and the tournament is over I got too much free time!

Thats Trevor above with the Buffalo soldiers at the Memorial Day event at the pioneers cemetery.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

[img][IMG]http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz34 ... 767145.jpg[/img][/img]

Trevor with Marshall after the ceremony.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Been a while since I was messing stuff up around here! Thats Trevor eating popcorn at Dick Holmes burial site at Greenwood. Peter joked that he was buying lunch and claimed the popcorn and punch counted as lunch.

The other pics are of Marshall Trimble and Trevor and Greg, Peter and Trevor checking out Waltz's grave site.
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Hi Wayne:
Looks like you had a great day.Love the Buffalo Soldiers.
Nice pics as well.

klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Mr. Zentull,

Wonderful Pictures.

You can see he is a fine young man.

Klondike
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Randy and I will eventually need a couple of strong, enthusiastic hikers to haul our gear around and I figure I might as well groom them right out of my house.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Around noon I needed to find a bathroom and stopped at this little hole in the wall bookstore in a strip mall, which looked like the only promising spot around. On my way through the shop back to my truck I saw a copy of Corbins "Dutchmans Gold" and remembered how mine was in pretty bad shape. I grabbed it and paid 3 bucks which I thought was a pretty good deal. I opened it up in the truck and it was signed by Helen.........