LDM ore

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
CLD
Part Timer

LDM ore

Post by CLD »

Since no one seems to know for sure what the ore from the mine was comprised of...except for gold...I thought it might be fun to see how much we all know about gold ore in general. For example...did anyone know that if gold has arsenic in it, it is liable to exhibit much different properties than gold that does not? For example..if gold has arsenic in it, it will tend to be brittle and not malleable..which might make it a lot harder to recognize as gold? In fact it would most likely upon a physical examination appear to be a pyrite or mica flake. Now isn't that interesting? Also gold can be found associated with many more minerals than just quartz. Look for gold in quartz ONLY and you just may miss a lot of gold. Anyone feel free to add any unusual information about gold or gold ore to this topic. :idea: :idea: :idea:
Shhh...........Ok now bite me!
ScottB217
Greenhorn

Post by ScottB217 »

I can't wait to hear replies. I don't have anything to contribute, but a wealth of ignorance when it comes to gold and raw precious metals. Being relatively new to the area and a layman with extreme interest in prospecting, mining and local archaeology, I appreciate your inquiry and hope that many people share their knowledge and contribute to the post. Thanks again, and what a great idea for an opening idea.

Be safe all and have a joyful new year.

-S
On the trail...
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

i found a huge boulder up by jerome...grey iron pyrite, quartz running from clear to foggy white...looked like a cloud that came to earth...chipped a piece off and dumped it in a nitric bath...all that was left was gold and platinum...
i have also found black gold in lynx creek...seems the miners were not all that concerned with disposal of mecury...it coats the nuggets, makes them black.
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Gold Deposits

Epithermal
1. One Kilometer surface. Temperature 50-200C.
2. Major associated minerals: Quartz, Tellurides, Carbonates, Pyrite, Sulfur Minerals.
3. locations: Cripple Creek Colorado, Telluride Colorado,

Mesothermal
1. Considerable Depth. Temperature: 200-300C.
2. Major associated minerals: Quartz, Sericite, Pyrites.
3. locations: Mother Lode, California, Grass Valley, California.

Hypothermal
1. Great Depth. Temperature 300-500C.
2. Major associated minerals: Quartz, Sericite, Pyrite, Chlorite.
3. locations: Homestake Mine, S.D., Dahlonege, Ga., Porcupine, Ontario.

Deposit formation temperatures are not quartz crystallization temperatures.

Kochera Ore: Mesothemal Deposit, Manganese replacement.
Goldfield Ore:( Mammoth, Black Queen, Bulldog, Wasp) Mesothermal Deposit, Manganese replacement.

Kochera Ore and Goldfield Ores different mineralogy.

Camp Ore: Epithermal deposit. similar to matchbox ore.

Matchbox Ore/Dutchman Ore: Epithermal, High Sulfur Content. Tellurides, kaolinite, pyrite, quartz, alunite, Associated with a known Caldera Complex.

LDM 1 Ore: Epithermal, Tellurides, Kaolinite, Associated with an unknown Caldera Complex.

Prospecting Targets: Rogers Canyon, North. Iron Mountain, Pinto Creek. Western Portion of Range, Salt River.

Gentlemen,

I hope the above maybe of assistance in your discussion of the Gold of the Superstition Mountains.

The one correction in the above would be the Goldfield Ore which in reality is an epithermal deposit and not a mesothemal deposit.

There are a number of gold deposits in the range with different looks based on the specific forces which created the deposit.

Also of interest is which deposit you consider the LDM. Is the LDM the Gold as described as stars in the night, or is it the gold one finds in The Peter`s Mesa area near a holy place that is epithermal in nature that has a high concentration of Tellurides.

One deposit that does not receive much discussion is actually composed of minerals associated with both epithermal and mesothermal deposits. This deposit is near Weaver`s Needle and seems to have been formed by a blow out from a volcanic vent. Beautiful rose quartz.

For me the bottom line is there are a number of LDM`s that range from Coffee Flat to Peter`s Mesa, Black top, the real Squaw Canyon, Peter`s Canyon, several canyon`s near the Salt River that branch off of Peter`s Canyon, both east and west, the Spanish Mines on Mailaipi, and several spots near Casa Grande, Horse Mesa, and other places in the NW portion of the Range.

Arsenic is associated with epithermal hydrothermal deposits in the range.

Good luck in your discussions.

Klondike
ScottB217
Greenhorn

Post by ScottB217 »

Wow... thank you both for the information. Just tells me how much I DON'T know...lol. Still learning and this helps. Thanks a bunch.

Scott
On the trail...
CLD
Part Timer

Gold composition

Post by CLD »

Wow, it looks like pay dirt is coming out of this discussion. Thank you to all who have contributed so far. PWP, thank you especially for your contribution. Klondike, I try to steer clear of any "holy places" when they are made known to me, so thank you also. I would never want to trample on someone elses places of reverence and if I have I pray that both God and themselves will forgive me. As it were. Concerning a reference to "enargite-gold" made by Helen Corbin in "The Bible on the LDM and etc..." (loosely paraphrased) it seems that in Taiwan hundreds of tons of gold have been derived from that ore...which is strongly associated with magmatic activity and hydro/meso thermal deposits. We are talking "chimney" making geologic activity here guys and gals. :D
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Neat thread :) I'll post some later.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
klondike
Part Timer

The Gold

Post by klondike »

Gentlemen,

As you consider gold deposits in the Superstitions do not overlook the importance of placer deposits that can led you to important lode deposits.

In a remote area of the Superstitions high up one can find an astounding series of geological events that have created a iron rich area where drainage from hydrothermal vents have been dammed up to create a massive amount of minerals in a very small area.

When it was discovered entrance ways were hidden but later geological events opened up several entrances that can sometimes be identified by the extreme amount of country rock alteration. The existence of Sericite and kaolonite, while indicative of seperate geological events are nevertheless a good prospecting tool to look for.

Also the sun during certain times will point the way to one of the caves that enter from the NW.

Having a nose for high sulphur odors is also importent. The smell is quite impressive.

Never forget the relationship between the holy and mining operations in the Superstitions. Indeed if one wishes to understand gold deposits one must first understand why gold deposits and holy sites are so intertwined. It is not enough to appreciate the location of gold deposits as being found in fractures, faults and shear zones. Those are pretty much all over the range. What is the relationship between gold mining and religion in the range? Perhaps they are the same thing.

For example a major zone of mineral alteration runs through the area of Peter`s Mesa. But why is it important for other reasons? Perhaps it opens up the earth to find other things.

Also consider that the massacre of the Mexicans, while commonly explained as a result of outrages, those outrages were perhaps more to do with religion than of the body.

One of the Mexicans mining operations broke into something that should have not been disturbed.

Klondike
CLD
Part Timer

esoteric wisdom

Post by CLD »

Klondike...any chance that you could just spell it out for us in plain english instead of metaphor? What sort of religious outrages? How are gold and holy sites related? What was opened up that should not have been broken through?
djui5
Expert

Re: The Gold

Post by djui5 »

klondike wrote: Having a nose for high sulphur odors is also importent. The smell is quite impressive.
Ahhh, stop giving away the good stuff!!!!!!! 8O
Never forget the relationship between the holy and mining operations in the Superstitions.
Klondike
I see now. It's starting to make sense.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

thank you klondike.
anyone who grew up in a copper mining town knows that smell.
suddenly elevation becomes a factor.
CLD
Part Timer

so...

Post by CLD »

What you are saying is that you have to take a friend to poke the devil in the ass and you run away with the gold while he is getting off? :? 8O :lol:
klondike
Part Timer

The Superstitions

Post by klondike »

CLD,

If you wish to understand the history of The Superstitions and determine the location of number of gold deposits in the Superstitions it boils down to one simple equation.

Understand the math and logic of Circlestone. Circlestone takes you to the end of the Stone Map Trail, it takes you to the local`s LDM, and it takes you to the Canyon of the Souls and Oz.

Circlestone is the Superstitions. It was created as a roadmap to those who will read it.

The first place it takes you is Klondike Springs.

Good luck

Klondike
CLD
Part Timer

Circlestone

Post by CLD »

Klondike, I don't want to find the LDM bad enough to mess around in OZ. Thanks for the heads-up...no pun intended. I see too many soul-eaters as it is just in my regular hiking there. Takes a load of energy to come out of there still knowing who I am. I kinda get the feeling that the maps are the "worm" and I don't want the hook or to be "eaten". Get me? :twisted:
CLD
Part Timer

circlestone

Post by CLD »

Ok Pippin...I looked into circlestone a little. Have you ever read "the Goldbug" by Edgar Allen Poe? The second half of the story reminds me quite a bit of the diagram of circlestone. Am I warm?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Bessop's Castle?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

CLD,

Bessop's Castle???

Joe Ribaudo
CLD
Part Timer

Joe

Post by CLD »

Joe,
Out of obscurity and out of darkness ariseth the Phoenix.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

cdl, wondering how you knew i read poe...mysteries everywhere.
:D
CLD
Part Timer

ldm ore

Post by CLD »

PippinWhitePaws,
I guess I just took it for granted that everyone read Poe.
:D "If it is any point requiring reflection," observed Dupin, as he forbore to enkindle the wick, "we shall examine it to better purpose in the dark."
lazarus
Expert

Poe

Post by lazarus »

"Distinct, coldly, calmly distinct, fell those few simple sounds within my ear, and thence, like molten lead, rolled hissingly into my brain. Years- years may pass away, but the memory of that epoch- never!"

Excerpt from Morella
Edgar Allen Poe- 1835
CLD
Part Timer

Lazarus

Post by CLD »

"I am here." 8O
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Awesome!
CLD
Part Timer

ldm, or?

Post by CLD »

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. " Poe ....................."fear not what awaits you in the dark...rather, fear the dark itself." CLD
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

"You can teach a chimp to wear a wristwatch, but you can't teach him to tell time."

That isn't Poe, by the way...
it's just an observation.

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

"The struggle, if there were one, need not be described. Let it suffice, that the clergyman resolved to flee, and not alone."

The Scarlet Letter
Nathaniel Hawthorne -1850