Say it ain't so, Joe.

Anything goes. Politics, religion and your neighbors spouse. No censors, no dictators. Any and all opinions welcome.
lbj
Part Timer

Post by lbj »

when an atrocity is committed by a soldier the commander must assume responsibility for the soldier's actions. in war most atrocities are committed by the troops only because they are ordered or encouraged to do so by the chain of command. in many ways bush is more guilty in this case than the soldier. but even worse than bush are those who applaud his lack of respect for the laws of war.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

somewhere in this muddled brain..i once read of a society...who sent their warriors to battle across some sea...they defeated the enemy...when on the return voyage..as heros all...their own people sank their ships because they feared to release hardened murderers into a civil society...

anyway..yes they are heros las...we differ here i know...i do understand your point of view...and admit i too have similar thoughts...

i know this fellow...nam vet...veteran of over three months every day close infantry combat(heavy losses to/by nva regulars)...who told me one day...
"well we had taken about 25 pow...the lt had me cover them with the 60...as the lt left he said...if they move, shoot them...lt takes about 15 steps hears the rapppp of a full burst...comes running back to pow's kia...
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED? you said if they moved shoot them...SO!!!!
they were moving while they breathed...

i knew this guy years...respected in his profession...stable employed no substance issues...
tell me that.
whew.
so yes...scarie...and the va continues to ignore issues you raise...cause i don't think some of these guys really have a choice in their behavior in a civilian environment...

and yes again...nuremburg did set the standard for individual behavior in a time of war...
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

They were all heroes at some point. Some will return heroes... others will not.

Bra
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

My 'D' is acting up.

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Roberts: By some estimates, your energy fund lost $1 billion. Personally, you may have lost almost $300 million. A lot of people say, "Well, T. Boone Pickens has got a lot of money," but by some accounts, that's 10 percent of your net worth. That was a real hit.

Pickens: That's a good hit. That's right. Video Watch Pickens discuss his, America's problems »

Roberts: What happened?

Pickens: I turned the wrong direction, is what it was. You know, you win some and lose some. Some are rained out, you know. You wish this one had been rained out, but it wasn't.

Isn't this the guy Vegas bookmakers accuse of reneging on a 'million dollar bet'? I call it Karma.

BTW,
does anyone here recall the 2000 presidential election 'fuzzy numbers' controversy? Or is it your memories that are fuzzy?

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Gosh...

you guys will sure be excited when you find out what Joe has been up to...

Brad
lazarus
Expert

McCain caught lying to Letterman to get out of commitment

Post by lazarus »

McCain caught lying to Letterman to get out of commitment.

This is sad. Why didn't McCain just say he felt it was inappropriate to appear on a comedy based talk-show, in light of the current crisis? What was wrong with the truth? Why are some people unwilling to be honest?

If this is an example of straight talk, what's a lie?

BTW,
yesterday, with her attorney at her side, Condi Rice admitted to the Senate in a sworn statement, that contrary to previous statements made by herself and others, she and others, including Rumsfeld and Addison, held secret discussions in the White House on how to circumvent laws on torture.

These meetings violated both US and international law, including the Geneva Accord, and were most certainly, war crimes, by any measure.

Go ahead...
tell me again how much I hate America, while you make more excuses for war criminals and despots.

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Sara Palin

Post by lazarus »

(CNN) – Prominent conservative columnist Kathleen Parker, an early supporter of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin, said Friday recent interviews have shown the Alaska governor is "out of her league" and should leave the GOP presidential ticket for the good of the party.

The criticism in Parker's Friday column is the latest in a recent string of negative assessments toward the McCain-Palin candidacy from prominent conservatives.

It was fun while it lasted," Parker writes. "Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who is clearly out of her league."

Unfortunate, but true.
We would have all been better off had McCain had the good sense to choose a more qualified running mate. I don't blame Sara... she's just not up to the task.

Brad
critter
Part Timer
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Joe is a naughty boy!

Post by critter »

Like shooting clowns in a barrel...Beerfarts and Bravado, Beerfarts and Bravado...

Critter
lbj
Part Timer

Post by lbj »

laz, true patriots condemn war criminals without regard to the uniform they wear. that makes you a patriot.
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

LBJ,

Thank you.

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

WASHINGTON - Attorney General Michael Mukasey appointed a prosecutor Monday to pursue possible criminal charges against Republicans who were involved in the controversial firings of U.S. attorneys.

His move follows the leading recommendation of a Justice Department investigation that harshly criticized Bush administration officials, members of Congress and their aides for the ousters, which were seen by many as politically motivated.

That's right, Joe...
criminal charges.

Those scumbags you have been defending as patriots are really just fucking criminals. Wait til the story on the illegal secret torture meetings gains legs.

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

NEW YORK (CNN) -- In a column appearing in Newsweek, world affairs expert and author Fareed Zakaria said he thinks it would be best for Republican presidential hopeful John McCain if Gov. Sarah Palin bowed out as his vice presidential running mate.

"For him to choose Sarah Palin to be his running mate is fundamentally irresponsible," says Zakaria.

Zakaria says McCain did not put the country first in making his V.P. choice, and he says Palin is not qualified to lead the United States.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

lazarus wrote:Gosh...

you guys will sure be excited when you find out what Joe has been up to...

Brad

it's early, i haven't had enough coffee,
point: it was rather nice interacting with the few who have posted since we agreed not to play with the sick person.
JIM HAMRICK
Part Timer

say it ain't so, joe

Post by JIM HAMRICK »

The every 4 years silly season has arrived. I have never seen so many people scared of a little lady from Alaska. The reason that McCain will stick with her is the fact that with out her he will not have a chance of getting elected.

This attempted rescue of our financial system which has been rejected by the voters in this country has left a "no confidence" thought in the voters mind. I would propose that the president, the majority leader of the senate, the minority leader of the senate, the majority leader of the house, the minority leader of the house and other office holders connected with this mess promptly resign. Of course this would be the honorable thing to do. I don,t think this will happen.

The latest poles show that Obama has had a bump up because of this mess. I have been trying to find the latest pole results showing the leaders with the third party candidates but so far have not seen any but old poles. The two leaders of the "third Party" seem to be running around 8% each. If the reaction to this finance mess would up the percentages to 12% each then we might we might have a very interesting election.
Again, I don't think that this will happen.

jim hamrick
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Re: say it ain't so, joe

JIM HAMRICK wrote:The every 4 years silly season has arrived.
jim hamrick
agreed.
and i am sure i am part of the problem.

i woke up with the sick thought that if mccain wants to win, he should dump palin and call hillary.
:roll:
lazarus
Expert

Worst president ever!

Post by lazarus »

A new ABC poll found that President Bush has disapproval rating of 70 percent, which is a record for all presidents going back to the beginning of public opinion polling in 1938.

Worst president ever!
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Obama now leads McCain 50%-43% overall, up from 46%-41% before the parties' national conventions a month ago. Obama's support is not just broader, but sturdier too; 23% of McCain supporters say they might change their mind, while only 15% of Obama's say they could be persuaded to switch.
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

An AP-Gfk poll released Wednesday found that just 25 percent of likely voters believe Palin has the right experience to be president.

So, Joe...
are you all juiced up about the debate tonight?

Yeppers...
us democrats are runnin' scared now.

By the way, Joe...
why do I suspect that Elisabeth Hasselbeck is your principle political adviser?

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Jim,

I don't give a damn if it's silly season or not...
a man has got to be pretty damn stupid to defend or support the Republican party at this juncture. There is nothing "silly" about the current condition of this country. Quit yer balking and throw a straight pitch.

Brad
JIM HAMRICK
Part Timer

say it aint so, Joe

Post by JIM HAMRICK »

People please! I don't like either candidate this year. I have not made up my mind as to my choice and I may not vote at all. I think that I may be getting so old that I can not "suffer fools gladly" and so voting may not be possible for me. I am taking a look at the "third party" candidates but so far I don't favor any one of them.

Do any of you find that it is strange that out of all the intelligent, successful,capable residents of this country our two major parties haven chosen these two?

jim hamrick
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

I Almost Agree.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jim,

Hope all is well with you and the family, and looking forward to seeing you at the Rendezvous in a few weeks.

Like you, I am not happy with John McCain, but will have to hold my nose and vote for him. At least John doesn't hate America. Beyond that, he has actually done more than vote "present" as a habit since coming into public service.

Not voting is no better than a vote for Obama.

Take care,

Joe
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

CNN Poll

Sen. Joe Biden 67%
Gov. Sarah Palin 28%
Neither 5% 21048
Total Votes: 413052

Start holding your noses, warmongers.

Jim,
perhaps then, you shouldn't vote, rather than sell your soul.

Brad
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Joe,

I won't be holding my nose when I vote. I can vote with a clear conscience.
By suggesting you will need to hold your nose, you are admitting you can't.
Why does that not surprise me?

Brad
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

how amusing, people are called haters because they do not back up to the stump for the self righteous, self serving neoconservative movement.

this palin is one sick and uninformed pile of sled dog poo.

unable to answer the most simple questions posed to her by a Katie couric, a rabid republican. how embarrassing for Katie.

now, just like in 2000, the loser is claiming victory.

i am with jim, none of the "chosen" qualify for the position of leadership.