Vorteces?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Tracy

I'd tell you, but I think it is an animal folks wouldnt think twice at taking pot shots at..so I must refrain. Have to protect my little pals..sometimes they are the only ones I can have a meaningful conversation with...lol

P
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

well said aurium but i think maybe you have gone somewhat overboard in your comments.i dont think there any "squabbles" or ridicule for that matter.surely an injection of humour isnt a bad thing on any forum i dont think any personal attack on tracey was intended and if tracey suspects that then i for one apologise. but juvenil-i think not stupid? -i think not light hearted maybe.as for accusing people of being self appointed judges and critics you seem to be guilty of the very crime you see fit to accuse others of.having said that no point in dwelling on it . lighten up for gods sake
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Don

I fear you are missing Aurum's point. Humor is a good thing. Ridicule is not.

And I must admit, things had begun to deteriorate some on the forum before Aurum snapped me at least out of my funk.

Cant we all just get along?????

P
Aurum
Part Timer

Post by Aurum »

xx
Last edited by Aurum on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

peter
i agree with you entirely. but i guess the divide between light hearted banter and ridicule is small but i cant be respobnsible for what otheres percieve all i can say is that tracey was not singled out by me for riduicule.the posts had taken on a humorous side to them and i merely entered my twopennies worth thats all. and you lknow as far as i am aware this forum is not peopled by by dark drab sober suited academics studying anything profound . we are all i presume dutchman enthusiasists with an interest in a series of events that may or may not have occurred. the truth is in all probability that each and evryone of us would most likely be ridiculed by the public at large for our giving any credence at all to the legend.

aurum
if you cant tell the difference between banter and ridicule of an individual then your mental powers must be somewhat lacking.and to mirror your quote pomposity however it is dressed up amounts to pomposity.remember it was you who made the abusive and personal attacks not i.i.e juvenile? childish? kids ? 3 year old tirades etc. if you want to make assumptions then by all means do so but dont address them as fact.you plead for respect yet in return offer none. if you think you are the sole source of good manners then you are sorely mistaken.in my previous message i urged you to lighten up maybe i should substitute the phrase grow up/
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Don

These personal attacks are beginning to grow tiresome. Perhaps you might tone down the rhetoric some, else this will just turn into a silly flame-war, something neither Ron nor the other forum members will appreciate. I am not sure why you are attacking Aurum with such vitriol..perhaps he struck a nerve??

Aurum

I think you made your point and any further point and counterpoint from here on out will be...well...pointless.

So lets all stick to LDM hunting. Some of you folks might miss the fact that some interesting posts have been made lately...info you wont find in any
"Bible".

Imagine ME being the peacemaker.....hahahhaha.
Rosebud
Greenhorn

Post by Rosebud »

Aurum,

Well said: “If someone has to explain to someone else what is light hearted humor and what isn't, ---- it isn't.

Respect for others and their opinions is easily identified no matter where you may be coming from. No matter how you try to dress it up, your message comes across clear, your not fooling people with two sided humor. I respect everyones opinions but I know the difference between an opinion and just plain bad manners.”

Here is a little tale, I was there when it happened. A man was working selling cameras and optical equipment. In walks a short guy in almost tattered clothes. He asks to see a pair of binoculars. Well the sales guy tries to show him an inexpensive pair, but the man wants to look at the most expensive pair. Apparently feeling like the guy could ill afford the money for a pricey pair the sales person tries to steer the man back toward a less expensive pair. But, the man wants the best pair in the store. Turns out this man was a retired jockey with his own stable, and he was on the way to the race track to see one of his horses run, but he had left behind his good binoculars. He may have simply been working in the stables with getting his horse ready to travel and would to be changing at the track? Don’t judge people. Don’t ridicule them. You never know when what you think is one thing turns out to be another. Sometimes what you logically believe in the end turns out to be just the opposite. You can disagree and even be pointed about it in a factual manner. But, let’s do it with respect and civility. Think back to the teachers or coaches we have all had in school and the difference between those teachers that came down hard on us just to show off, and those that did it to make us better at something. You knew the difference then, you know the difference now.

A forum like this one can all to easily fracture through sarcasm and the putting down of others. In fact, in the early days of the forum it almost did fracture from just such behavior.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Rosebud wrote:A forum like this one can all to easily fracture through sarcasm and the putting down of others. In fact, in the early days of the forum it almost did fracture from just such behavior.
I believe don was part of that event too. Personally, I find it annoying that we even need to be posting like this.
Don, I think you misjudge the people here. This is not a light-hearted bantering forum, but rather some serious people trying to unravel a real mystery. Perhaps there are other forums that would appreciate your sense of humor more.
nicoh
Greenhorn

Silence of the Lions and the Lambs

Post by nicoh »

I thought this personal attack business would fade out. But, as I've seen happen in countless fora (pl. of forum, hehe), it looks like it could get worse, at least in the context of losing members. So I offer this:

Don,
Despite what at least one person has said here, NO ONE should (nor literally can) speak for "most of us." Please don't feel unwelcome! In fact, I for one applaud your bringing your sense of humor into this forum. It seemed obvious enough that it was not to be taken seriously, though it evidently--and dare I say comically, if not ironically--was! LOL Ah well. You can't please all of the people...but you sure pleased me and a few others.

Don's detractors,
If a post contains more humor than informative content, then doesn't common sense (for intentional lack of a better term, hehe) automatically tell us that each member of the forum will have to use his/her internal B.S. meter to filter it out? Why single out and/or slap values on that person?
After all, each of us uses this meter everywhere else in our lives, so I don't see how anyone can believe there's no place for humor (however bawdy or lighthearted) on this forum, especially when most of the posts here contain at least one (1) "LOL" or winking icon.

Salud.
n
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Nicoh,
I agree that humor is certainly welcome. Ridicule and rudeness, though, I for one can do without.
Rosebud
Greenhorn

Glass Houses

Post by Rosebud »

This issue is not one for which any single person is at fault. Let’s be fair, more than a few of us have gone down this road with smugness and a cyber-self-indulgent glance. A put down here, a raised nose there, a little disparagement mixed with scorn and/or ridicule. Then comes the retort and the games begin.

Perhaps a positive outcome from all of this is a call to all to simply treat each other with common courtesy. After all, the simple fact that the issue was raised by several members concerned for the forum’s well being is in itself hopeful.
nicoh
Greenhorn

Post by nicoh »

What I think happened here is Don strung together into a funny mosaic a lot of relatively awkward statements that we've all made. They just look especially awkward when taken out of context.
Something like this was perhaps bound to happen considering the oddness of the topic, right? ;) Throw in some sensitive personalities, and then...
Still, in all fairness to Don, through syntactical examination of Don's now-infamous post, I maintain that he did not ridicule anyone (if anything, he ridiculed the topic--and I as the originator of the topic am fine with that!)
I'll gladly take the blame :P
n
Tracy L Hawkins
Part Timer

Post by Tracy L Hawkins »

For crying out loud Guys ---lighten up !!!!What the heck iis wrong with a little humor ???? I , for one , would hate to set around a campfire with a bunch of guys that were so touchy you had to watch out for every word or go for your gun . If someone can't take a little kiddin' I don't want to associate with them. I will keep my mouth shut from no on --I may read the posts but I like a little humor
TLH
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

You Did Not Smile

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Nicoh and Tracy,
You are both on point here. My sense of humor is not appreciated by everyone. The main reason is because I will often say something in jest with a straight face. My wife has often told me I offended someone because I did not laugh or smile, while trying to be funny. It has now become our favorite line. I did not think Tracy would take offense to my post, but others did not see me smile or hear me laughing. Western humor is often rough, and you often need thick skin when you think you are the target of that humor. This forum is not full of dandies. My guess is that we have all made others, and have ourselves been made, the butt of a harmless joke.
Joe
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

I agree with what everyone has said...and what everyone will EVER say.
Now will everyone kindly shut the f&%$ up and get back to Dutch Hunting?

:D
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

offended

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,
I am deeply offended by your choice of words in your last post.
I will however take your advice on this subject. :)
Joe

Just trying to get the last word in here. :lol:

Should have known I would never get the last word in, so I will just edit this one. OK Nicoh, you win. :cry:

Julia Thomasina.
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nicoh
Greenhorn

Post by nicoh »

Bravo, Peter! But I am offended by your usage of symbols.
Joe, I know what you mean about others misinterpretting the straight-face joke thing; I do it too. Maybe it's an Italian thing? Heh.
Come to think of it, are there any Italians mixed in with the DM legends? I can't think of one Italian name.
Now dat's friggin' offensive.

nico

Haha Joe. Rheiny Petraschi.
Last edited by nicoh on Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

to tracey
well tracey im glad to hear your comments and equally glad that you didnt take offence.as i previously said there vwas no insult intended. but hey you keep posting and keep smiling too. thanks.
to nicoh jose
thanks for seeing the post as it was intended to be seen.
to peter
no -no raw nerve-and no hard feelings either.no attack -just defense.
to those who i offended(most of them lol) i perhaps should admit that different personalities see different things differently.i stop short of apologising as i did nothing wrong but lets agree to differ ok
thanks