realistic expectations?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
don
Part Timer

realistic expectations?

Post by don »

hi i was just interested in what the members opinions would be as regarding realistic and i stress realistic expectations would be if placed magically at the entrance to the "the dutchman". taking into consideration the exaggerations that inevitably attach themselves to any legend through the years. would it be "the richest mine in the world" "gold of unimaginable purity" "gold so rich and pure one could scrape it off the rock with their fingernails" etc or just a rather ordinary deposit of gold neither inexhaustible or of immense richness etc?thanks :D
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

Don,

I would not be surprised - if I was magically placed at the LDM - to find gold ore in quartz from 1/3 to 3/4 pure metal.

The deathbed ore under Waltz's bed was supposed to be 1/3 metal. Also, analyzing the information on the bank draft still in existence where Waltz sent his sister in Missouri money, the ore figures to be about 73% pure metal.

However, if there was still enough left to "make millionaires of 20 men" might be questionable. I would expect to find ore and probably, by MY standards, a lot of it. But, it still could play itself out fast. We just do not know...

It is a nice dream...

However, having "realistic expcetations"... I have NO expectations to actually find it. But, I am not looking all that hard. Maybe some day, someone will find it and we can find out from him (or her) what the ore is like.
nicoh
Greenhorn

Post by nicoh »

Hi S.C.
Speaking of Waltz's sister in Missouri, have you ever had a chance (or even the inclination) to look into this? Like looking up her records? Just curious. Also, do you know where in Missouri she was supposed to have been? Now, of course I'm not thinking that knowing her whereabouts back then will get us any closer to the Mine! I'd just like to know for my own peculiar reasons, being from that area.
n
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

nicoh,

As a matter of fact I have looked into that. Making a long story short - here is something: H. Corbin's new book has some info about this individual related to Jacob Waltz. Some is correct. Some is not. From what I know and found out the person in question lived for awhile in Warsaw Missouri. Had other relatives there. And for a time lived in Kansas City MO or Kansas City KS. Only 30 miles from Lawrance KS where Waltz wired money - it was the location of a branch of the National Bank. One was in Phoenix where Waltz initiated the transaction.

I have been in contact with members of this family. At this time, they prefer their names not be brought into this. The family has already been burned by kook treasure hunters and yellow-journalistic members of the press. I cannot stress this enough. They want nothing to do with the LDM.

S.C.
charlie
Part Timer

Post by charlie »

Don,

I am also a new comer to tnis area of interest. One of the earlier books I read about lost Spanish gold mines in the southwest United States gave expansive information about where the mines were and how they were lost.

At the end of the book, the author stated that most of the information available was presented, but not all. Through the years several had hunted for the mines using the given information and have not found the lost mines. Therefore, something in the information was wrong!

Assume lost mine hunters are like fishermen. The big ones always got away. The good fishing hole is not where I am. Finally, when you are catching fish, do not be surprised if others crowd in to find out what you are using for bait or to drop their own line.

As for the LDM being the richest mine, The Guadalupe mine was reported to contain 905 carts of gold and 2055 mule loads of silver. My estimate is 400 cubic feet of metal ingots worth $8 billion. The metals were placed in the mine when the Jesuit priests were expelled from the Americas by the King of Spain for not giving him his Royal Fifth. The mine entrance, two surrounding mountains and trail markers on the two mountains were destroyed with black powder.

How big was that one that got away? :wink:
Charlie
Ron
Part Timer

realistic expectations

Post by Ron »

I would also say that if the gold were still there, that as said before , comparing it to the ore with the Dutchman when he died , it would be rich; however, it would also be rich in silver, which I have not heard anyone mention . Part of the real expectation should also be that the ore in the mine may have been worked out, but that does not negate if it were , that there would not be caches or other spots of wealth.