Another Dutch Hunter Crosses Over

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

It's with a very heavy heart that I am passing along this news about a good friend and fellow Dutch Hunter.

On Augest 16, while being driven to a Doctor's appointment by his Brother David, Billy Sharp suffered a massive heart attack and passed away.

He was buried in Muldrow, OK next to his mother. The family erected a four foot tall monument at the site, with Bill's picture, and Eagle and an American flag on it.

Having had many conversations with Bill, I must tell you he was not the person he often portrayed on this Forum. Bill was well read and well spoken.

I am devestated by the news, and will miss my friend.

Joe
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Sorry to hear that Joe.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I am very sorry to hear of Bills passing. I have missed his wit and personality here for sometime. Now to hear that it will be no more takes away something the forum always needs, that being a sense of humor and levity. Please pass my condolences on to his family.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

ive only just read this, its very sad,bill added quite a few things to this site,not the least being his sense of humour,shown partly in the way he portrayed himself on here. goodbye bill,youll be sadly missed.
Don update your email address
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Being Right And Wrong

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:29 am Post subject: Talent Shows

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill,

When I think of the talent and intelligence it takes to be "Bill" as long as you have, your being "novice" seems like a good bet. That's just an "informed" opinion, so I could, of course, be wrong.

Respectfully,

Joe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

whats going on joe?are you saying bill is novice,therefore bill isnt dead or what? i admit i did find the four foot monument , american flag,photo etc etc etc a bit questionable......but thought better not say anything out of respect..but then again if this is but a joke i find it in rather poor taste....then again ,is that anything new on here?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Clarification

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don,

I made "Being Right And Wrong" the subject of that post. I was right about Bill's intelligence and wrong about him being Novice.

Few of the members got to experience the man behind the "Okie" act. Bill was very well read and had the ability to express himself on any level he desired.

As I said, the talent to keep up that "image" was impressive, to say the least. His humor through the years was constant and kept me smiling.

Bill was always a good friend, defended me when it was proper and castigated me when I needed it. What more could you ask for?

Take care,

Joe
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

joe.....uh uh not for the first time i got the wrong end of the stick( i wonder how many people know the true origin of that expression,it cant be repeated in polite company, so uill leabve it at that :lol: )
yes it was apparent from very early that bill was adopting a mask, he was fun....tis a pity
murphy
Part Timer

Post by murphy »

I am so sorry to hear of Bill's passing, he brought a unique perspective and a sharp, but kind wit to his contributions to this site. He will be missed by many.
murphy
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

My Dad

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

On Wednesday morning, moments after I arrived, my dad took his last breath. He nodded his head and smiled when I came in. Although he couldn't speak, the nod and smile spoke volumes to me. It seemed that he was just waiting for me to be there.

Dad was as Italian as they come. He sang, played the guitar and mandolin and had a way with the ladies. His friends never had to worry about him turning away from them. His enemies could count on his Italian temper when they crossed him.

My first trip into the Superstitions was because he wanted me to be with them on their first expedition. Chuck agreed, and I can assure you I was a very proud thirteen-year old. We made many trips together over the years.

It was a blessing that he passed, but in truth, I have missed him for over five years now. I have had a long time to get used to the idea of his death, but it was not enough.

Tony Ribaudo was a Dutch Hunter. Everyone who goes into the Superstition Mountains will be walking in his footsteps.

He is with me still.

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Sorry to hear that Joe. If you need anything please let me know.

I only wish you the best during this time.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Very sorry to hear the news Joe. My condolences and sympathy for you and your family during this time.

Wayne
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

We feel sorrow for your loss Joe and express condolences for the Family
God speed comfort.
Sincerely, Scott
buscar
Part Timer

Post by buscar »

Joe,

Never forget…you are surrounded with Good and Caring Friends. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

buscar :)
lazarus
Expert

Joe's Father

Post by lazarus »

Joe,

I am so very sorry to learn of your loss. My heart goes out to you and your loved ones. I'm glad you had the chance to be there with him at the end.

Should you need someone to talk to, you've got far more friends around here than you may imagine. That of course, includes myself.

Respectfully,
Laz
eldorado
Part Timer

Passing over

Post by eldorado »

Hello Joe,

Sorry to hear about this.

Take Care and God Bless.

E.
rvreclus
Greenhorn

Post by rvreclus »

Joe,
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. God bless you and yours during this difficult time.
Respectfully RVR
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

My Thanks

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Even though I have had a lot of time to get ready for this event, I was not even close.

I am grateful for each and every one of your posts. They, along with my wife and family, have been the bright spots in a grey landscape.

Thank you all.

Joe
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Joe,

Along with all your other friends my thoughts and prayers go out to and for you in this time trial. For that is what it is. As with Joe, I had a great deal of time to prepare for the passing of my father. He had COPD which is a very slow, terminal illness. While you think you are preparing, that you will be prepared when it comes—you aren’t. And perhaps that is a good thing in its way. It says something about the person you lost; it says something about you and your relationship with them that you can’t be fully prepared. That nothing can eliminate their loss. Time helps lessen the chasm, although it is never gone. I have lost both my mother and my father, yet I will still hear joke, have something happen and such then almost pick up the phone to share it with them.

Joe, Nikos Kazantzakis wrote that one of the things he would regret the most about his death would be that when he died there would be no one left to remember his grandfather. That immortality on this earth lay in living on in the minds and hearts of others. As long as one was remembered they lived on. Nothing took the sting of death away for Kazantzakis, as nothing can take it away for any of us, but your father will live on in you and many others.

Take care, and God Bless.

Thomas

PS: Think back to our phone conversation and consider Desert Journeys.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

An Old Message

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Thomas,

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words.

Some time ago, I sent you this message, after your own loss. I was never sure if you received it. Not having any other way to contact you, it was the best I could do.

Our thanks, my friend.

Joe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 06/26/05 11:23:18
To: Thomas Glover
Subject: LOSS

Thomas and Carol,

As I look back at the great losses of my life: My Grandmother, Uncle Chuck, my Father In Law, quickly followed by Carolyn's mother, My Cousin Chuck and a young girl I carried on my shoulder's, two weeks before her death, I realize that they are all "with me still". Their presence can be felt each and every day. As long as the memories remain...they remain.

For me, a friend's loss is as emotional as my own. That emotion often prevents the feelings from being expressed directly. Silence does not express the shared emotion. The spoken word, while heartfelt, does not always deliver the message you wish to give.

In this case the following Native American prayer says what I feel, better than anything I could write:

I give you this one thought to keep -- I am with you still -- I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow --I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the gentle Autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,

I am the swift, uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not think of me as gone -- I am with you still -- in each new dawn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are "with you still".

Our Condolences,

Joe & Carolyn
murphy
Part Timer

Post by murphy »

Joe and Carolyn,
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You are right, we can never be fully prepared for this event, we are forced to deal with it, prepared or not. The kind words of your friends on this forum, I am sure are a comfort to you. In these friends your father's memory will linger on in the stories that you have shared with us over the years.
Our prayers are with you.
Jim
murphy
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Joe,

No I don't think I did get that email. Things were strange back then. I thank you for it now thought.

My best,

Thomas
sluicebox
Part Timer

Post by sluicebox »

Joe,
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I would also like to join the others here on the forum in offering my condolences to you and your family. You may never be able to re-fill the empty space left by the loss of a close family member, but it often does help to crowd it with the sympathy and understanding of good friends. My best wishes and prayers to you and yours, Larry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Rainy Day

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Once again, my thanks for all of the words of kindness for my Dad and the family.

This was a perfect day for his funeral. It rained....and the Priest forgot to come. That turned out to be a blessing, as Cousin Sam Tozer was a wonderful and personal replacement. Sam's first couple of trips into the Superstitions were with Dad, Chuck, my Brother Phil and myself.

My sister and her husband came out from Missouri and Phil and his family drove out from California. Having family here, and still feeling the warm wishes from all of you, made the day much brighter.

Take care,

Joe
Roger
Part Timer

Your Father's Passing

Post by Roger »

Joe, I would like to offer my sincere condolences on the loss of your Father. It sounds like you had a great bond with your Dad and know he will be missed.

My Father has been in an Alzheimer center for a year and came down with the flu two weeks ago at 92 yrs old. His strength slipped away with loss of appetite and fluid intake and I put him on hospice care yesterday. I got a call at 12:41am that he had passed away. Am flying to Tulsa tonight to make the arrangements tomorrow for a Saturday funeral.

No matter how much you think you are prepared for this event with a direct relative, I suspect most had difficulty with the challenge.

Roger