Rendezvous 2006

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Rendezvous 2006

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Greetings: Welcome to Rendezvous 2006. You do NOT have to be a forum user to attend. All and any are welcome. The dates for the Rendezvous are Friday, October 20th through Sunday October 22, 2006. Some people have expressed a desire to arrive early so the gate will be open Thursday October 19th., in the afternoon for early arrivals. The Dutch Hunters Rendezvous will be held this year at the Dons Club Base Camp at the bottom of the Superstition Mountains. We will be the ONLY group using the Camp Ground. It is located about 7 miles in from highway 60 along Peralta Road. There is a turn off to your left about 1/4 mile from the Peralta Trailhead. Take that turn off and you will be in a large open area where the start of the Lost Goldmine Trail is located. Continue up the hill to a block wall with a wrought iron gate. Go through the gate and you will be at the Dons Base Camp. Parking will be in the upper parking area or the Dons Village area for RV's and trailers. SEE; Map posted in "Members Archives" by Roberts. I have gotten the OK for persons with jeeps, and passanger vehicles to park by the various covered area buildings inside the Base Camp. You may used these covered facilities for camping if you wish. There are toilet facilities but bring your own TP. NO open fires allowed. Forest Service Rule: The only open fire approved is in the big Ramada. Bring a donation of firewood if you want a fire in the Ramada at night. Cookstoves, Grills, Barbecues are OK. Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints. IF you smoke, please put your butts in the fire or your pants cuff. Not on the ground. Same with food, chips etc. Please Respect! the Dons Club property. You are right next to a Wilderness Area so please no loud radios etc. Lastly, I know some of you who will attend are at least not the best of friends, acquaintances or on talking terms. Please do your best to be adults and keep it civil. If you have to "shoot it out", then take it up the road into the wilderness area and let the Green Shirts deal with it. That's it, so have a good time. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

I would like to add for those who are interested that there are pictures of the Dons Base Camp in the Members Archives under "Don's Camp". Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
murphy
Part Timer

Rendezvous 2006

Post by murphy »

Greg,
Thanks for all your hard work to make this happen, look forward to meeting you there.
Jim
murphy
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

I have gotten permission for camp fires outside of the Big Ramada, however they must be contained. As an example, the bottom 1/4 or 1/3 of an 80 gallon oil drum. Remember this is Forest Land, rented by the Dons Club. Forest Rules apply. NO discharging of fire arms. Alcohol: BYO for yourself only. Libility: If you hurt yourself at Base Camp its YOUR FAULT. Anyone who thinks they can file a law suit may never again want to enter the Superstitions. Beware of the Thunder Gods revenge. Enough said. Otherwise, have fun. Gregory E. Davis
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Rendezvous

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

The gate to the Don's Camp will be open Thursday evening. Anyone wishing to set up early will be able to do so. I expect to be there between six and eight pm

Those who have confirmed they will be eating with us will have Stew, Garlic Toast and Salad.....Thanks to Roger. That will start around 6:00 Friday night and end when we run out of chow.

Saturday morning we will start the biscuits and gravy around one hour after sunup...+ or - :) Coffee will be available. We will have tables set up, bring your own chairs.

I will have cooking equipment for anyone who wants to use it. That will include a gas grill for steaks (BRING YOUR OWN!) Saturday night. If everyone remembers to bring one small bundle of firewood, we should have plenty.

I expect Friday night to be pretty interesting. We will have people there who have spent years researching the LDM, the Stone Maps, Jesuit Treasure, the Spanish, the Apache and one man who helped the Aylor's build their house in the Superstitions. Sorry if I left anyone's specialty out. :(

Quads, dirt bikes, dune buggies, metal detectors......whatever ya got, will be OK. Low speed inside the campgrounds.

It looks like we will have a larger turnout than last year, so don't miss out again.

See you there. 8O

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I'll be bringing a bunch of firewood :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Should be arriving sometime after 7PM friday.....keep a light on for me.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Hello: I went to the Dons Club Base Camp this morning and unlocked the gate. I put up some signs near the Camp showing directions on how to get to it from Peralta Road. There is a good stock of fire wood at the Big Ramada. I set up a wash basin by the bathrooms and put in a stock of TP to start things off plus set up some trash barrel. See you Friday. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
lazarus
Expert

Arrival

Post by lazarus »

Providing all goes well, my wife and I expect to arrive before noon tomorrow. I am looking forward to a wonderful outing.

See you there,
Laz
Ronnie Kelso
Part Timer

Post by Ronnie Kelso »

Deleted.............
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Gentlemen; Well Rendezvous 2006 is over and a memory of yesterday. For the most part, I believe everyone had a good time. Joe, Carol, your relatives and friends, Thank you for your hospitality to the attendes by providing, food, shelter, fire, chairs, and good conversation. Also, thank you for the shirts and mugs. What great stories from Joe, Dave, Tom, Dick, the two Jacks, Howard, Brad and many others. To Peter and Kraig, Many thanks for your hospitality and contribution of fine food, many great stories including those of Dan, Jack, Roger, Keven, Dick, and others. My apologies if I missed anyone. The Saturday trip was a great success. Thoes who attended are about 90% sure they found the site of the Soldiers Grave. After the hike we were treated to lunch by the Backus' on the porch of the bunkhouse at the U-Ranch. MY! what a treat that was. I sent them a thank you on behalf of everyone. By about 11AM Sunday everyone had left for home and I locked up the Dons Base Camp. Thanks to all of you for leaving behind a clean camp. I believe that Jack San Felice offered to host 2007 at the Silver King Mine. If that appeals to everone then he can take the "Baton". Great time for all. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Gentlemen: I want to thank all of you who have sent me email of thanks for obtaining the Dons Camp as the site of Rendezvous 2006. Here is a list of the people who attended. It is not complete so feel free to add to the list. Gregory E. Davis, Joe and Carol Ribaudo, Jim Hamrick, Dave Leach, Larry Wright, Randy Wright, Tom Lamonica, Brad Cooper and his wife, Howard Hornack, Jack Carlson, Jack San Felice, Jim Heard, Nick Gill, Roger Newkirk, Keven Newsmaker, Peter Esposito, Kraig Roberts, Wayne Tuttle, Sam and Mary Tozer, Dan and Gloria Hopper, Dick Walp, and several others whom I might have missed. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
novice
Expert

2006 Rendezvous

Post by novice »

Sounds like I missed a great time at the rendezvous. My biggest regret is that those of us that couldn’t attend probably missed some great stories. I haven’t seen many stories being posted and would appreciate anything along those lines that could be shared.

Matthew indicated that a stone building built by Matt Cavaness was still standing. Is that the same one shown in the member archives? Were there any remains or discussion about the stone building that Chuning built for Bark in the early 1890s?

Can anyone share some of the Dick Walt stories about Chuck Aylor?

What about some additional details on the Soldier’s Grave?

My questions could go on and on but hopefully someone will get the idea?

Thanks, Garry