the ruth tale

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Dr Hrdlicka received the skull on December 19th and the skull was discovered on the 12th. The group wouldn't have gotten back to Phoenix until the 13th and it is doubtful the skull was inspected by the authorities until the 14th if at all. Add in several days for shipping.......It seems Halseth may have just shipped the skull off for identification as being Ruths, because at that time it was unidentifiable. It appears the Pinal county sheriff had little or nothing to do with this.

It should also be noted there are no publicity photos of the search parties later checking that area. I believe Tex and Jeff Adams were probably sent back out afterwards in January, when the skull had been identified as Ruths, by McFadden. Oddly, it was the Maricopa group searching and located the remains in Pinal county and there is no sign of Sheriff Laveen.

The death certificate is from Maricopa county as well filed, Febuary 17 1932.

Now.......Ruth was camped in Pinal county, his skull was found in Pinal county and his remains were found in Pinal county. All reports indicate that everything was handled exclusively by Maricopa county. Specifically former Maricopa county Sheriff Jeff Adams and Tex Barkley.
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

novice, im not sure what you meant by "innuendos aimed at you" if its me you are refferring to ,i can assure no innuendos were intended...but never mind. if this issue seems to be upsetting anyone then ill say no more....other than, the simple point is that hrdlickas statement is the rock that the ruth murder view either rests on or founders on...
Don update your email address
novice
Expert

Maricopa vs Pinal

Post by novice »

Don,

Check your Private Mail. Your thoughts and ideas are great. Some have already formed their opinions on most things Dutchman related (IMHO, Many times on quicksand) and they are unchangable. You are one and I would like to include myself that are still on the learning curve and hopefully that will extend for the rest of our lives.

Zentull,

I believe that Pinal County was involved but we get the Maricopa slant because much of our information comes from Phoenix Newspapers. I don't know whether the Florence papers have survived but they might paint a little different picture?

Dr. Glover, states that the "Official Verdict" came from Sheriff Amos Hawkins of Pinal County. Some of the initial searches for Ruth were led by Deputy Chester McGee whom I believe was a Pinal County, Deputy.

Just when I thought I was beginning to get a handle on the players you are throwing me a curve ball. I had never heard of Sheriff Laveen of Pinal County. Can you expand on him?

Another item I am confused about is Jeff Adams. background. Corbin states on Page 308 that Jeff Adams "later" became Sheriff of Maricopa County and your post indicates he was a "former" sheriff of Maricopa. I have been unable to find anything on this either way? Would you happen to know off the top of your head where your info came from or possibly even when he served?

Garry
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

ok novice, no problem, im trying at the moment to find out where i read that halseth had the opinion initially that said skull was of indian origin and the bitter argument that ensued.at present i cant find the reference,which isnt helped by fact recently i threw out a great deal of old material, newsclippings etc and sold several books, magazines relating to dutchman issue, to make room for another heap of rubbish :lol:
i noted with interest on the other ruth thread you refferred to the "ruths dentist" issue,were you hinting that there was no independent corroboration of said examination other than hearsay? im wondering if there was,its generally stated the examination occurred...but the n

so are a lot of things.
for the benefit of anyone who hasnt read james r kearneys article in the journal of arizona history summer 1992 vol 33 number2 entitled "a death in the superstitions" ...id like to recall here what he wrote........" aside from their patent inconstistencies -shotgun? rifle? revolver?-the holes in ruths skull,allegedly entrance and exit woulds,were simply not susceptible to these determinations.there are too many variables" he goes on to say " considered seriatim, the doctors assessments are without scientific validity;taken as a whole, they are presposterous"......pretty strong opinions from one member of a breed of people who some say will always give themselves "wriggle room".... (james r kearney is/was associate professor of history at arizona state university) and i note with interest he gives thanks to a gregory .e .davis for assisytance in the preparation of the article.....whether its the gregory davis of this site ,i know not.
thanks for listening
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

"Dr Ales Hrdlicka was a world-renowned anthropologist

Post by Gene Reynolds »

For a little background of this man - Phil Leslie was the registrar of the Smithsonian at the time he gave me a copy of the Hrdlicka report pertaining to Ruth - Decide for yourself it you think he new what he was doing.....

"Dr Ales Hrdlicka was a world-renowned anthropologist. He was born in 1869 in the town of Humpolec and died in 1943 in Washington, DC. When he was 13, his family left for the United States where he later studied medicine. He then took interest in psychiatry which drew him eventually to anthropology. He went to Paris to study under the direction of Professor Manouvrier."
Photo: Hrdlicka Museum of ManAfter his return to the United States, Hrdlicka accepted an unpaid position at the American Museum of Natural History and participated in a number of studies of the Indians of the American Southwest and northern Mexico. In 1910 he became curator at the Division of Physical Anthropology at the National Museum of Natural History, part of the Smithsonian Institute, where he stayed for four decades.
"Dr Hrdlicka achieved international acclaim in two fields. Firstly, he was interested in the indigenous inhabitants of America and secondly he tried to answer the question where humans came from, how we had evolved biologically, whether we had a common origin."
During his forty years with the Smithsonian Institute, Ales Hrdlicka compiled the most complete collection of human bone material in the world. He travelled extensively around North America, mainly in Alaska, where he gathered material and also carried out excavations.
Photo: Hrdlicka Museum of Man"As concerns human evolution, in 1926 he was awarded with the 'Huxley Memorial Medal of the Royal Anthropological Institute' for his writings on the Neanderthal Phase of Man. Today we know it is a complicated story but in those days it was extremely important because he actually pronounced one vital thesis: and that is that all humans have one common ancestor. No one is superior and all people are equal."
Hrdlicka was one of the first scientists to argue that Native Americans originated in Asia and came across the Bering Strait.
Curator Bozena Skvarilova says that despite his international career, Ales Hrdlicka did not forget his old homeland and devoted much attention and a lot of money to the new Czechoslovak state between the two world wars. And that's how the Hrdlicka Museum of Man came to being.
"While president Tomas Masaryk was staying in the US, Dr Hrdlicka became acquainted with him which we know from letters the two exchanged. In March, 1929, Hrdlicka sent Masaryk a birthday greeting which starts and I quote: 'Dear Mr President and friend'. He writes about his dream that his motherland should have a museum of man telling all there was to know at that time. So he donated a million crowns on condition that the state secures a decent home."
In 1937 a first temporary museum was opened in the newly built university campus at Albertov in Prague and was named the Hrdlicka Museum of Man.
Photo: Hrdlicka Museum of Man"97 percent of the collection was gathered between the world wars. A large part of it was a gift by Hrdlicka and he also funded trips by Czech anthropologists to study indigenous peoples in Africa and America and observe their way of life. The Hrdlicka Museum of Man is actually a university collection divided into two parts - exhibitions that are open to the public and a depository for study and research purposes. There are about 4,000 exhibits stored here, many of them unique, such as Hrdlicka's collection of facial mask casts and sculptures of heads of North American Indians and busts of Africans by sculptor Frantisek Foit."
The Hrdlicka Musem of Man is located on the premises of the Faculty of Science of Charles University in Prague 2 and is open to the public on Wednesdays.
Curator Bozena Skvarilova says that despite his international career, Ales Hrdlicka did not forget his old homeland and devoted much attention and a lot of money to the new Czechoslovak state between the two world wars. And that's how the Hrdlicka Museum of Man came to being.
"While president Tomas Masaryk was staying in the US, Dr Hrdlicka became acquainted with him which we know from letters the two exchanged. In March, 1929, Hrdlicka sent Masaryk a birthday greeting which starts and I quote: 'Dear Mr President and friend'. He writes about his dream that his motherland should have a museum of man telling all there was to know at that time. So he donated a million crowns on condition that the state secures a decent home."
In 1937 a first temporary museum was opened in the newly built university campus at Albertov in Prague and was named the Hrdlicka Museum of Man.
Photo: Hrdlicka Museum of Man"97 percent of the collection was gathered between the world wars. A large part of it was a gift by Hrdlicka and he also funded trips by Czech anthropologists to study indigenous peoples in Africa and America and observe their way of life. The Hrdlicka Museum of Man is actually a university collection divided into two parts - exhibitions that are open to the public and a depository for study and research purposes. There are about 4,000 exhibits stored here, many of them unique, such as Hrdlicka's collection of facial mask casts and sculptures of heads of North American Indians and busts of Africans by sculptor Frantisek Foit."
The Hrdlicka Musem of Man is located on the premises of the Faculty of Science of Charles University in Prague 2 and is open to the public on Wednesdays.

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/80337

See the rest -

Frankly - I can give you much more

The Ales Hrdlicka Prize
This prize was created in honor of Ales Hrdlicka (1869-1943).

http://www.physanth.org/annmeet/prizes/hrdlicka.html

Good luck - Gene Reynolds[/url]
Writer of Borrego 13
murphy
Part Timer

The Ruth Tale

Post by murphy »

Gene,
Great info, thanks. Nice to see you posting again, hope all is well
Jim
murphy
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

gene, with respect kearney first made the point that hrdlicka was a compiler.....he wasnt a forensic pathologist...so why would his verdict been considered definitive in an area he apparently knew little about?..the glowing tribute you have posted may all be true,but i see no mention anywhere of some of the less than glowing tributes he has recieved....slipshod, arrogant, underhand by at least 1 of his critics, the allegations of illegitimate "raidings". indian burial grounds.the removal of such without any discussion with tribal elders.....theres more but im acting from memory now,no source book to quote from... but anyways the question posed was did he know what he was doing? to that id reply ,well in whatever adventures he was involved in i cant rightly say, but as for the ruth case....welll....just read the letter
regards
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

AN ERA OF HEALING REPATRIATION OF NATIVE ARTIFACTS OFFERS CHAI NCE TO CLOSE THE RIFT BETWEEN THE MAKERS AND THE KEEPERS lreburial of 756 Kodiak Island remains in 1991. For years, Larsen Bay Natives had requested their return from the Smithsonian. At the time, Rick Knecht, a Kodiak archaeologist, suggested the bones be buried in sealed coolers in case they are needed again for legal purposes. But the Tribal Council said no. They saw no difference between bones 2,000 years old and those from the early 1900s. They returned their ancestors to the earth, still in 370 numbered boxes. The bones had been methodically removed in the 1930s most from a grassy hill islanders came to call the Boneyard. The desecrator was a renowned Smithsonian scientist, Ales Hrdlicka, intent on proving a link between the Americas and Asia by measuring Aleut craniums. His archaeological methods left a bitter residue. In short, he didn't ask. In a more recent case, the remains of a Point Hope woman and child were returned to North Slope Natives by an Ohio family last March. Their dehydrated lustrator PHOTO BY JIM LAVRAKAS AND BOB
sorry about my clumsy copying of text into this post but i cant send the link ..why i dont know.....anyhow this is just a peek at the other side of a certain gentleman
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Times Change

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don,

If you search long enough you will find bad things about any "giant", in any given scientific field.

Were Dr. Hrdlicka's methods heavy handed and insensitive? Of course, by todays standards they certainly were. In the era in which he lived and practiced his profession, they were the norm.

It is popular these days to tear down the "giants" of the past. Not just the leaders, but anyone in a higher position on the ladder of life than the person doing the attacking.

You will find it in your everyday life. There is always someone in a lower position in life, who thinks that by pointing out every perceived fault in another, he will be moved up one rung of importance.

For every derogatory sentence you dig up about Dr. Hrdlica, there are probably 1,000 that positivly "glow". By tearing down our greatest legends, those with lessor abilities feel they, themselves, have risen closer to greatness. In truth, we are all just diminished from that ideal.

There is a great deal of reading material about Dr. Ales Hrdlicka. You might try raising your eyes above the detractors. Learning both sides of any subject is the only path to becoming really knowledgeable.

Try this: Argue the good points about Dr. Hrdlicka for awhile. You will find a wealth of information out there. You have the ability to learn the truth, but we are only seeing one side of the story from you.

What I have said about statements from Archaeologist/Anthropolgists is something I have learned from personal correspondence with a number of respected members of the profession. You may accept that or not, but Dr. Hrdlicka gave a positive response.

Take care,

Joe
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

joe,
would you prefer an airbrushed,rose coloured portrait ? :lol: im not in business of running anyone down, but hrdlicka was a figure in this conversation,and if some feel he needs gloryfiing well ok.most of all, glorifying or destroying shouldnt be the issue........candid truth surely is the best isnt it?......im certain hitler had some good points to his nature too...i mean he liked animals didnt he? well dogs anyway..so are u suggesting a future biographer of hitler shoulfd focus on that and ignore the other issues? :lol:
you reallyA reading far more into that post than i intended to portray, ive no interest in dragging any "giant" down, thats assuming he was a giant in first place. and saying what i said didnt make me feel id climbed another rung on the ladder of life.and fashionable? ....well no i dont feel fashionable either.
to put everything into context, the didscussion centred around hrdlickas letter didnt it....hrdlicka i assume wrote it...i questioned the content, others werent sure or disagreed ...fine so far....i quoted kearney stating in short that hrdlickas remarks were preposterous....gene posted the list of acheivements of hrdlicka and his god like status
and posed the question did he know what he was doing? thats fine... so i merely gave a quote showing another side of the equation thats all....
as for only seeing one side from me ,as you say....the bad side
it seems we only hear about the good side from you......and really joe all this flag waving drivel about dragging down the countrys legends,diminishing idealsetc is nothing to do with this. you are trying it seems to make this into a republican party convention :lol:
the truth every countries "giants"(your word not mine) have feet of clay its what makes them and us human....if you want the sanitised version fine, i had higher expectations from you,i thought your pursuit was truth, it seems not. if ive lied-tell me, if ive exaggerated -tell me......
argue your case by all means,but it ill behoves you to try and censor or airbrush someonesopinions or findings......anyway ill say no more -ill let the sanitised version have a chance. carry on guys
p.s a question for joe......please answer without singing a verse from "e star spangled banner"
if genes post regarding hrdlickas glorious activities was relevant to the issue(and i consider it was by the way)...then surely my post regarding hrdlickas questionable and less glorious activities was just as relevant......if not -why not? answer in no more than 57 paragraphs please :lol: regards
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

My Last Word On This Subject.

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don,

You are the one who strayed away from the "letter" to post comments that attacked Dr. Hrdlicka personally.

I only pointed out that there is another side, much larger, to the man's record.

I did not say you were trying to make yourself more important. The people you are quoting hold that "honor". I have read both sides of this topic and came away with a higher opinion of the man than you have.

"...god like status..."

I have never read anything in the man's history that merits that kind of comment. By your using it, you betray a bit of bias.

".....it seems we only hear about the good side from you......and really joe all this flag waving drivel about dragging down the countrys legends,diminishing idealsetc is nothing to do with this. you are trying it seems to make this into a republican party convention".

Don't believe I said anything of the kind, but you will read it as you see it.

I will let you have the final word on Dr. Hrdlicka. I have no real passion for either side of the topic.

Take care,

Joe
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

joe , thanks for not answering my question :lol:
ok if i strayed from the letter,attacking hrdlicka, didnt the previous poster stray by glorifying him?
i tell you what? im pissed off with this,ill leave you to read and post your sanitised b.s...theres no point to this anymore-none at all.....ill leave you to dream of giants
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Am I the the nut that hath fallen from the Mighty Oak Tree?

Post by Gene Reynolds »

My goodness - Gentelmen - I was merely trying to give a little background to the Man in question Here - if he is or has some color to himself - I would assume he must have earned it. I would assume the FBI also has files on the man since they used him in many cases as well......and for testimony. (The Smithsonion told me this.) He worked for them for 40 or so year.

On the the ligther side ............. Of course many people in this world or over paid......

I would start with the place he worked and see what they say - then I would Check with the web an see what free info I can get - Then I call call the FBI and make a fool of myself .......then I would make a big wooden box and sort it all out ....... the I would draw my own opinion............ and then take the infomation outside ........... carefully light a single match and burn it all ......... because the point is......... The man is dead regardless of if he died by a bullet - or if the Wright
Bros. plane that cliped his hair to close = who cares - what's the point? It ain't going to bring him back.

You'll have to overlook me folks - I THINK I NEED A FIX.......... My coffee ran out 13 minutes ago and there's no more sugar. (Where's the maid when you need her)....... sorry folks = I have to in bed by 9 PM in this place or they turn out the lights on ya - the last time they turned out the lights , I thought I was in the bathroom and was in the closet instead and the maid beat me half to death - she thought I was a burgler with a garden hose.

So I gotta so now - Later = Life's to short to live seriously.........

Gene Reynolds = cell block 1313
Writer of Borrego 13
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

DELETED