Adolph Ruth, the mystery.

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
novice
Expert

Adolph Ruth's Age

Post by novice »

Most individuals are very jealous and protective of their "turf". I would bet that almost all of the Arizona officials had a bellyful of Erwin Ruth before it was over. I would agree that the cooperation between Pinal and Maricopa was probably somewhat "cool".

As far as trying to pass the responsibility to each other, my gut feel is a little different. This case had a very high visibility and if there is one thing politicians and bureaucrats like, it is attention. They were probably on the horns of a dilemma. They all wanted to feel important and have their pictures and stories appearing in the newspapers but since there was no obvious solution they were also worried about taking a misstep and being criticized. Whatever the case, I believe both counties were heavily involved from start to finish. They wouldn't want the "other" county to get ahead of them!

Another issue I wanted to address is the age of Adolph Ruth and correct one of my previous posts.

In Blair's book, "Tales of the Superstitions" he gives the age of Ruth when he disappeared as 66. Some newspapers reported he was 65 while others gave his age as 70. The death certificate lists his age as about 65. Dr. Glover gave his age as much older, 78.

I had used the age of 66 from Blair in an earlier post but I now suspect that was way off and that Dr. Glover is very close to the real age.

Census data, that relates the age of Adolph, was listed in 5 different censuses. From that data I can understand the confusion. Adolph and Clara apparently got about ten years younger in the 1910 census and they remained consistent thru the 1930 census.

1880 NY (25 years old)
1900 MO (45 years old) [Born July 1854]
1910 MO (46 years old)
1920 VA (55 years old)
1930 D.C. (66 years old)

If we go back to 1880 and 1900 census, it seems to be much more consistent with actual events.

Adolph Ruth arrived from Bavaria in New York on June 12, 1869. He was listed as being 15 years old on the ship's passenger list. He seems to have been traveling alone without any parents or siblings. He was naturalized in New York on June 27, 1876 shortly after reaching his 21st birthday. His occupation was listed as barber. We find him in the 1880 census married to Clara Bieling and his occupation was tonsorial artist (barber).

Adolph continued to barber after reaching Missouri and in the Kansas City Directory he still listed his occupation as barber until 1901. This was an occupation Adolph followed for 25 years.

In the late 1890s, his business was located in the Kansas City Stockyards. This was probably how he got involved as a meat inspector for the government. By 1903, Adolph had begun working for the government in Kansas City and he would have been about 49 years old. Kind of a late blooming occupation. Perhaps this is why he seems to have pushed his age back 10 years by 1910?

My best guess would be to go with the 1900 census which gives Adolph's birth as July 1854. This would mean that when he disappeared in June of 1931, he was just short of his 77th birthday.

There may be more definitive information regarding Adolph's actual birth date, but I believe we would be close enough for government work.

Ten years difference in age is significant, at least for me, as I try to paint a picture of Adolph. Also I liked the physical description (5' 4" and 115 pounds). It's probably close.

Garry
novice
Expert

P. S. Adolph Ruth's Birth Date

Post by novice »

I can't be sure with 100% certainty that I have the correct Adolph Ruth but after reviewing the other documents, the following seems to fit.

From the LDS, IGI Index, we find Adolph Ruth, Born July 16, 1854 and his Christening was July 30, 1854 in the church in Hinzweiler, Pfatz, Bayern (Bavaria). His parents were Abraham Ruth and Elisabetha Baecker. I have identified three siblings, Ludwig Born in 1850, Carl Otto born in 1852 and Anna Elisabetha born in 1856. There could easily be other siblings but those were the ones I was able to identify in a cursory search.

I was unable to find any record of any siblings coming to the U.S. but that doesn't mean much. The newspaper article that talks about the reward for finding Adolph mentions a nephew. This seems to indicate that either one of Adolph's brothers or sisters children was offering an additional reward to that offered by Adolph's wife. I guess it could have also been someone from Clara's side of the family?

Does anyone know whether the reward was ever paid out and if so to whom?.

Adolph was 76 when he disappeared?

Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Adolph Ruth

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

It would seem you have the correct Adolph Ruth, at least as far as the 1900 Census Record.

I have seen the document, and it shows his birth as July of 1854. Wife, Clara. They had been married 20 years. Children were listed as: Stella, age 17, Erwin, age 12 and Earl, age 4.

He was, as you mentioned, listed as being a "barber".

Looks like you are on the right trail.

Joe Ribaudo
novice
Expert

Loose End

Post by novice »

When trying to put Adolph's family together, I was having trouble resolving an item in Dr. Glover's book.

"Adolph Ruth was a German immigrant who first settled in New York City. He was to have two wives and four children. By his first wife Dalia, he had a son, Charles. Later Adolph married Clara and they had first a daughter, Stella and then two sons, Earl and Erwin."

I believe the confusion may come from the 1880 Census.

We have two census entries for an Adolph Ruth in New York City in 1880 and both individuals list their age as 25.

On June 8, 1880, an Enumeration for Adolph Ruth listed him with his wife Dalia and a son Charles, two months old. This Adolph was 25, a plasterer, and listed as born in the U. S. (He was living in an Irish Neighborhood)

On June 11, 1880, Adolph Ruth was enumerated with his wife Clara, and mother-in-law, Hannah Bieling. He was 25, a barber, and listed as born in Prussia. there were no children. (This is certainly our Adolph Ruth)

Unless we have bigamy involved, my opinion is that our Adolph only had one family and the Adolph Ruth who married Dalia and had a son Charles was someone different.

Just tying up a loose end. Now, maybe I can find something more productive to do, like find some gold bars.

Garry
novice
Expert

Howland's Involvement with the Ruth Story

Post by novice »

One of many items that I found of interest was the reported sighting of Adolph Ruth sometime after he was established at his campsite at Willow Spring.

Earlier in this thread LDM wrote;

1. "The report did not even include the testimony of the last man to see Mr. Ruth alive, Raymond Howland , who had seen Adolph Ruth near his Boulder Canyon camp the morning of June 15, 1931. Mr. Howland testified that he had seen others in the vicinity of Mr. Ruth's camp but not "with" Mr. Ruth. His testimony was discredited by deputy Adams and not entered as a part of the report."

2. "according to Ray Howland he did not talk to either Adolph Ruth or the others seen in the vicinity of Ruth's camp that morning. He recognized Ruth as he had met and talked with him at the Quarter Circle U ranch previously."

LDM,

I'm not clear on the mechanics of the probe but there must have been some kind of hearing at which Howland gave some sort of deposition? Do official documents survive that record the testimony of Howland and others?

From Kollenborn's account on this web site, "The Final Chapter In The Adolph Ruth Tragedy, Part ll"

"There was one unofficial reported sighting of Ruth by a prospector on June 16, 1931. The man who saw Ruth reported him in fair condition. This was about 9:30 a.m. in the morning near West Boulder Canyon west of Brush Corral. It appears that Ruth died sometime between June 15th and June 17th."

Helen Corbin has reproduced the images of two newspaper articles from the Mesa Journal Tribune. As I read the articles my understanding will probably be forever colored by the Greg Davis post.

"Milton Rose knew Ray Howland very well for he, along with Milt's father, various friends like, John D. Mitchell, Irwin, and other's would sit around the old pot belly stove at the Mesa Tribune in the evening after Milt's father would put the paper to bed and swap Lost Mine Stories long into the night. Just like Dutch Hunters do today."

It seems clear that the Roses and Howland had a very close relationship. I believe that C. Dewey Rose was still involved with the Mesa newspaper when Ruth disappeared?

I don't know whether C. D. Rose wrote the articles or a staff writer but they paint a very romantic picture. Zane Grey might have been envious. "Apache gods of thirst, starvation and death stood unperturbed among the towering crags of Superstition mountain"

The Mesa Tribune reported on June 29th, 1931:

"searchers point out that his tent near the Weaver's Needle in the Superstition mountains contained his hiking boots and clothing and other factors pointed to the possibility that he had donned his street clothes.

A vivid description of the lost prospector --- the best since his disappearance – was furnished by Ray Howland, noted prospector, who met and talked with the lost mine hunter shortly before he was missed from camp. Milton Rose, Mesa mining engineer, stated that he had seen the prospector.

Ruth's right leg is encased in a plated brace which is sometimes worn under the trouser leg. His street suit is dark with a light pin stripe and he insists on wearing the coat despite the warm Arizona climate."

These accounts, raise a couple of questions.

1. Howland met and talked with Ruth shortly before he was missed from camp (Newspaper). Howland's testimony was that he did not talk to Adolph Ruth at his campsite (LDM). Milton Rose also go into the act by asserting he had seen Ruth also (Newspaper).

I guess we could suggest that Milton Rose saw Ruth at the Quarter Circle U but didn't talk to him. Howland saw Ruth at the Quarter Circle U and did talk to him. Howland also saw Ruth near has campsite but didn't talk to him. If this is what the newspaper was trying to say, they certainly did a poor job!

2. When Howland found out that Ruth apparently had on his street shoes (therefore his street clothes) when he disappeared he was able to come up with a "vivid description" for anyone searching for Ruth. He was probably wearing a dark pin stripped suit and he usually had his coat on. In addition he wore a plated brace that encased his right leg.

I have never heard it suggested that Ruth had a leg brace. It was his hip that was busted with a plate inserted. This certainly makes you wonder if Howland had ever even seen Ruth? The newspaper's account of Howland's vivid description leaves a lot to be desired. Sounds kind of like someone trying to pad their resume (Noted Prospector) and show their relevance to a fast breaking LDM story?

3. How far from Willow Springs did the encounter recorded by Kollenborn take place? (West of Brush Corral)

IF Ruth was seen away from his camp any distance, it would seem to call into question the theory that he was premeditatively taken from his camp by unknown persons and murdered several miles away?

Mesa Journal Tribune, July 13, 1931

"Ray Howland lost mine hunter who is said to know every inch of the rough Superstition country, Saturday joined the search. Howland set out after conferring with the son [Erwin Ruth] and comparing maps. Howland's map purporting to show the location of the Lost Dutchman is identical to that carried by the lost prospector."

I also found this entry interesting. Here Howland is suggesting that Erwin Ruth had maps. Were these maps that Erwin picked up from the belongings of Adolph that remained in his camp or were they maps brought from Erwin's home?

Of course Ruth's maps, locating the LDM, matched the Howland location of the LDM. (Wiser Map?) Needle Canyon?

Given this and other stories, It's hard to know when to give Howland and the Roses the benefit of doubt.

Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

How Far?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

You are looking at around 2 1/2 miles from Willow Spring. Not really a difficult hike at all.

Joe Ribaudo
novice
Expert

2 1/2 miles

Post by novice »

Is that one way or round trip? (2 1/2 miles) I assume it is toward the mouth of West Boulder?

I do have another question about the trip up Peralta Canyon to Willow Spring. It seemed to me that Ely was suggesting that upon reaching the ridge between East and West Boulder that they would have been able to come in directly from the head of West Boulder. You suggested that the preferred trail would be to follow the ridge north and enter West Boulder off of the ridge just below Willow Spring.

Do I have this right?

Garry
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

Novice,

Great post.

I believe Ruth could have been seen here or there, however, I do not put much credit into Rose or Howland. It is possible they gave false information to bury the truth a little deeper. This may be why Adams did not include Howland's testimony. Any thoughts on that?

It is pretty hard to read between the lines when some of the accepted info is bull. Sadly, we must come to that realization.

Jesse
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Answers

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

It would be five miles round trip.

"You suggested that the preferred trail would be to follow the ridge north and enter West Boulder off of the ridge just below Willow Spring."

I did not suggest that it would be the "preferred trail". I suggested that it was how Ruth was taken to Willow Spring. It would be the most direct path to Willow Spring from the Quarter Circle U-Ranch. It would also be "overlooking Weaver's Needle".

You would be correct, except I don't believe they were ever anywhere near Boulder Basin, no matter which way they came in.

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

More Smoke?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

Have to go along with you on this one. Two people claim to have seen Ruth in the mountains, and not a single official document in sight. It seems, like many stories related to the Superstitions, the "facts" turn out to be smoke and mirrors. :lol:

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
novice
Expert

Burying the Truth

Post by novice »

Jesse,

I'm probably naive when it comes to people trying to "bury the truth". I know that some Dutch Hunters believe that they are being misled to take them away from the "real" location. The Jim Bark Notes and Sims Ely accounts are great examples.

My own take is that in most cases, the author is "filling in the blanks" of his understanding of a situation to give it added weight. When probed a little deeper and we find mistakes, sometimes we conclude that it is a conspiracy.

We almost all register on the "full of crap meter" and I may be being unfair to Howland but my perception is that he registers pretty high. I do suspect that Howland was well known by Jeff Adams and therefore Jeff certainly had an opinion on Howland's veracity.

Having said that, I must admit that my understanding of the "details" of the Ruth story are limited. I'm sure that after I have seen the actual references to the Howland testimony of which LDM spoke, the Pinal County "Official Report" that Dr. Glover references and reading many more of the contemporary newspaper accounts I should have a better handle.

Joe,

I had assumed that the story of the sighting of Ruth by Ray Howland and the sighting west of Brush Corral were one and the same? You speak of two people. Do you believe there were two separate stories or are you perhaps referring to Howland and Rose?

It was interesting to me, the parallels between the Ruth and Gassler sightings reported by Kollenborn. Gassler at Charlesbois Springs and Ruth west of Brush Corral. If these sightings were true, it's not nearly the stretch for me to get them where their bodies were found. Of course both sightings seem to lack a solid foundation.

Garry
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

Post by TC ASKEY »

Garry, I don't know if this will help with your research with the Ruth issue, but I remember reading that Abe Reid was the other prospector that saw Ruth near Brush Corral on June 16th.
TERRY - Update your email address. Current one is dead and you will not receive notices.
LDM
Part Timer

Post by LDM »

Deleted
novice
Expert

Abe Reid

Post by novice »

Terry,

Thanks for the tip. If you run across where you found that reference, I would be interested. I'm not that familiar with Abe Reid but does the 1931 time frame sound right for him possibly being in that area? I thought that at least later on his stomping grounds were over in the eastern part of the mountains?

Garry
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

Post by TC ASKEY »

Garry, I read that statement within the last couple months concerning Abe Reid as the other party that saw Ruth On June 16th. I was hesitant about saying anything because I was not sure it is true or not. I know you are aware of how many things have been changed from the actual facts that have occured when it comes to the Superstions. I believe I saw that statement on another website. I have been looking to see if I can find it again and will let you know if I do. I was hoping to give you another place to look. You are one hell of an excellent researcher. I did not see LDM's post after my last comment. He may have been saying I was not correct.I hope I did not say anything out of line.
TERRY - Update your email address. Current one is dead and you will not receive notices.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I did not see LDM's post after my last comment. He may have been saying I was not correct.I hope I did not say anything out of line.

Whatever it was he said, the post was only up for less than 20 mins. I just barely missed both of them :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
eldorado
Part Timer

Mr. Ruth

Post by eldorado »

Mr. Ribaudo

836 Gold Bars can make people a little crazy. Agree?

I know The Saint and Deputy Dawg went nuts.

A shovel can clear this mystery up real quick. You know the hole.

Any luck on the other holes?

E.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Crazy?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mr. E.,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
836 Gold Bars can make people a little crazy. Agree?

I know The Saint and Deputy Dawg went nuts.

A shovel can clear this mystery up real quick. You know the hole.

Any luck on the other holes?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I don't agree. I agree that it could make some "people a little crazy", but my guess would be that those people were a little "crazy" to begin with.

Some people would find that many gold bars and just go home and live a good life. Harry LaFrance may have been such a man. In his case, it was not what he knew, as much as who he knew. Do you know who the LaFrance family knew?

Did they know someone who worked with gold, and knew how to make authentic looking ingots? Anyone know the answer to that question?

The above is pure opinion.

Joe Ribaudo
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

A short interlude

Post by Gene Reynolds »

I am heading to the hospital in about 9 hours so I will make this short - It may be my last note.........

There are a few here with great notes on this that I have not seen until now - I have just been to sick.

I will not give you a precise location that I would look if I were there - because it would not be fair to 2 others in this forum. I will however make a few statements and you can jugde the rest for yourself.

Ruth was very excited to come all the way there. Reason why? I will put it this way. He knew a great deal about the mountains long before he left D.C. Remember the telephone was not a new invention at that time. He had more maps that you may be aware of.......... and yes he did know exactly were he was going. Willow Springs was no guess, -- Ruth was excited and careless - not crazy. Even as bad of shape as I'm in - I believe I might be able to go to were he did. And yes - there is no doubt in my mind that he found it from recognition - from maps and conversations. If you know where to look and know what you are looking for - it ain't that hard. There are people here that what I am talking about.

I am not saying that I know where it is - I am saying that I believe I have enough of a refferance point - that if it does exist - it can be found in days..But then, I have been wrong before - and could be now...But I don't think so..........

Gene Reynolds

Good luck

P.S. It ain't south of the Srings
Writer of Borrego 13
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Luck

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

Good luck tomorrow. I'm sure everyone on the Forum will be pulling for you to kick some ass and come out of there smiling.

It don't get any easier as we get older, but we do get a little more determined. :) Some may call it by another name, but it's all good.

You have made a number of friends here and they are all by your side.

Take care, my friend.

Joe
eldorado
Part Timer

Ruth

Post by eldorado »

Mr. Ribaudo,

You are right. Gold bars in and of themselves should not be enough to cause such dysfunctional behavior.

Given the times and hardships it is at least understandable.

Did I mention that the Saint and Deputy Dawg didn`t get paid. Their associates in Arizona stiffed them.

Mr. LaFrance. Before I say anything let me think about it.

E.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Have a nice trip El Dorado.......been an interesting trip here to say the least.

All I ever leave behind is a gutpile.

Hopefully everyone won't be spooking my Bucks.........
A mans hunting ground is sacred and then some depending on the man..........I suppose everyone will have to run over to Pete's canyon while I am pig hunting ?
eldorado
Part Timer

Ruth

Post by eldorado »

Mr. Zentull,

I would appreciate it if you would share the two posts I deleted with Mr. Ribaudo. My business here is concluded.

From what I can tell from my library there still is a lot of items in the Superstitions. The search is well worth the effort.

Good luck with your hunting. I understand one of our oldest customers from there was an excellent hunter.

E.
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

Eldorado,

Before you head into the sunset, could you share how or if Gassler's death fit into Gassler's sting?

Garry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Mr. E.

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry and Wayne,

Having received Mr. E's messages, I am convinced he has no idea what he is talking about.

Walt Gassler was nowhere near the LDM. He, like many Dutch Hunters,
did not find the mine, but he did find a wonderful place to search for it. :)

It's amazing and humorous, to see the folks who leave this Forum in a bit of a huff, only to return under another name. :lol: Some even return immediatley to the same old insults......without missing a beat.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Take care,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.