Cave With Gold Bars

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

>>I know you are angry because I declined your sexual advances......blah blah blah<<

Little Joe Ribado

Always a CLASS act.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Does Size Matter?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

Don't know what is going on in your love life, to send you into this obession with my size, but you can trust me when I say it is of no importance to you, other than in your fantasies.

If size is such an important factor in your private life, perhaps you should let everyone know what size you prefer. In that way, you can let those who care, know if they qualify and they can contact you in private.

Good luck and good hunting,

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

>>I know you are angry because I declined your sexual advances......blah blah blah<<

Big Joe Ribado

Always a CLASS act.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

So Size Does Matter

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

"Big Joe Ribado"

I assume someone out there will be happy to know your "size" preference. Keep advertising......someone will surely get back to you.

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Silly Joe Ribado

Always a CLASS act.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Gold Bars

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

It seems unlikely that any of the gold bars that have been found in the Superstitions were manufactured there. It is also doubtful that the gold originally came from the Superstitions.

What is more likely, IMHO, is that the gold bars came out of Mexico. They were marked with a crown, and nothing else. The question that should be asked.......is who would place the markings on the bars, and would all of the King's Royal Fifth markings be done at the same time.

Is it possible that the crown, denoting the Kings Fifth, was placed on the bars as soon as they were processed, and then set aside in a seperate pile, and later, the king's representitive would test the bars and place the other maks on them?

If that were the process and the mine owners wanted to hold out on the king, which was common, those could be the bars hidden in the Superstitions.

Joe Ribaudo
Ronnie Kelso
Part Timer

Post by Ronnie Kelso »

Deleted..........................................................
Last edited by Ronnie Kelso on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Jesuit Gold

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mr. Kelso,

Assuming the Jesuits had gold bars, why would they mark them with the crown? There is no record of them engaging in gold mining, so it should be safe to assume none of the king's representitives would be visiting their mines.

The Jesuits did not ship gold to the King of Spain. To ship it to the "Vatican" would have required quite a smuggling operation. Anything is possible, but they sure covered things up well.

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

My guess is either the gold bars with the Kings 5th markings were placed there by the Kings men on purpose, or they were stolen from the King and hidden there. Who stole them is the question...
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
buscar
Part Timer

Post by buscar »

I’m not saying what is written here, is fact. Just trying to look at the popular view a little differently.

A number of causes led to a lost of confidence in the economy between 1929 and 1933. This loss of confidence led to the great depression.

In the end, it was World War, that brought us out of the Great Depression.

Note: With the economy falling, gold bars (Spanish, etc), may have been placed in the Superstition Mountains in the not so distant past.

On December 31, 1974 , the U.S. Federal government lifted a 41-year ban on the private ownership of gold. However, it was not that easy to recover hidden wealth placed there in the mountains, without the U.S. Federal government taking notice. Thus, being one of the reasons, much of the gold is still there.

The stories of (Charles Williams, Jonathan Burbridge, Bob Brady, Harry France), finding gold bars in the Superstitions, appears to be during, or after the ban on gold was lifted.

Estee Conatser‘s, brief account that involves a party of six men who discovered in a cave, a kings ransom in gold found in the 1940’s, shortly after WW II, in the Superstition Mountains, may be the same party, who placed it there.

buscar :)
Ronnie Kelso
Part Timer

Post by Ronnie Kelso »

Deleted...................................................................
Last edited by Ronnie Kelso on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

LaFrance

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Garry,

If you are interested in "gold bars", I would suggest that you use your (Amazing) talents to search for Harry LaFrance instead of "Harry France".
"Harry France" is a smokescreen laid down in the Bob Ward book.

I assume it was Bob Ward and not Tracy Hawkins who changed the man's name, even though Tracy calls him "Harry France" to this day. As Tracy is Buscar's major source for this story, as far as I know, it's easy to understand why he also uses the wrong name.

The "LaFrance" name is tied directly to a very famous figure in the LDM legend and the Superstition Mountains. That person also has a direct connection to Bob Ward. This is fact.

This is one of the really fascinating puzzles to come out of the Superstition Mountains. In time, I will reveal all that I know about this mystery. In the meantime, if someone can find some record or evidence of a "LaFrance" tying him to the Superstitions or any of the famous figures involved in the stories, please let us know.

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Re: LaFrance

Post by djui5 »

The "LaFrance" name is tied directly to a very famous figure in the LDM legend and the Superstition Mountains. That person also has a direct connection to Bob Ward. This is fact.

Joe Ribaudo

Joe,
I found a Harry LaFrance that was married to an "Alba R. Welch". Is this the same guy?
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Harry

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

I am going to guess that he was married. Don't know if you have the right guy. Any other information?

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

No, not really :) Just this I found on a web-site

1208. Alba R. WELCH was born in Jul 1893 in Leesburg Twp., Union Co., Ohio.

She was married to Harry LAFRANCE about 1917. Harry LAFRANCE1 was born in 1880. He died in 1963.

She was married to BAUGHMAN. Alba R. WELCH and BAUGHMAN had the following children:

+1639 i. Bernice Heoise BAUGHMAN.

1209. Delmar F. MULVAIN was born on Jan 9 1890 in Leesburg Twp., Union Co., Ohio. Occupation Barber, Residence at time of marriage Richwood, Ohio. Marriage license: Gives address as Marion, Ohio and occupation as Barber. He had been previously married once.

He was married to Elzada GARN on Jan 6 1907 in Carey, Wyandot Co., Ohio. Elzada GARN was born on Nov 21 1885 in Carey, Wyandot Co., Ohio. She died after 1930.

He was married to Pauline ARMSTRONG (daughter of Charles B. ARMSTRONG and Anna HAGGERTY) on Nov 28 1943 in Marion, Marion Co., Ohio. Pauline ARMSTRONG was born on May 7 1897 in Leesburg Twp., Union Co., Ohio. Had been previously married to a Wilbur B. Hinkle and divorced.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Where Did He Die?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

I believe you may have the wrong LaFrance. Despite what has been said, I suspect that Harry was alive in 1976. Not sure when he died, but I am sure that his name was not "France".

I also have a pretty good suspicion of who Harry was going to meet in the mountains.

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Probably Joe :) I'm still learning about this "hunting peoples history down" business
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Will The Real Harry LaFrance Please.........

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

The most likely Harry LaFrance was probably living in the El Presidio Hotel, in Tucson around 1930. He was a traveling salesman, dealing in drygoods. I believe he was 41 years old at the time.

It gets a little more difficult from that point, but I believe he became friends with a certain family......in the area, and that eventually led him to his cave of gold bars.

I will probably run this story by the Forum towards the end of this week. Just waiting for some additional information.

Still no book in the works. :lol:

Joe Ribaudo
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

Don,

Wayne Tuttle recently posted several newspaper articles relating a story of Charlie Williams on Peter’s Lost Dutchman site. Good stuff! I remembered a newspaper image in the member archives on Charlie Williams and I believe it is your album?

I could not determine the Newspaper or Date. Do you happen to have that information?

Below is a transcribed version of your image.
NEW CLUES FOUND TO FAMOUS LOST DUTCHMAN MINE

Reporting the discovery of a huge cavern which they believed served as a melting room for Spanish gold hunters of the early 1800,s, two veteran prospectors believe they have a clue to the whereabouts of the famous “lost” Dutchman mine in the Superstition Mountains.

The discovery was made by Charles Williams and John Hallberg in the heart of the cactus studded Superstitions near a towering rock formation called Weaver’s Needle – a formation given on every map as a landmark dealing with the “Lost Dutchman” mine.

They found an old Spanish tea kettle inside the cave and a couple of old knives. It looked, they said, like the place the Spanish used to reduce the ore to crude nuggets before shipping it back to Mexico.

The Lost Dutchman mine was according to legend, first worked by Spanish explorers who were massacred in a sudden raid by Apache Indians. Years later, the mine was said to have been rediscovered by Jacob Waltz, a German immigrant, from which the mine derived the name “Lost Dutchman.” Waltz reputedly killed numerous men to keep the secret of his mine and died before he could disclose its location to a friend.
“We found plenty of human bones in the cave,” Williams said, “and they might have been those of the men old ‘White beard’ Waltz killed when they tried to follow him to the mine.”

Williams and Hallberg also found a heavy stone mill apparently used to crush goldbearing quartz. Williams brought with him a quartz sample which is now being assayed. The men plan to return to the Superstitions soon to continue the search for the Lost Dutchman mine.
Thanks,

Garry
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

garry,
ill certainlly have a look through the various cuttings i have and see if i can answer your question..might be a few days though.
regards
Don update your email address
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Mid December in 1940, I believe the story was carried nationally.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"