Petrasch statement

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
LDM
Part Timer

Rhiney Petrasch

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I think it should also be noted that Rhiney almost seems apologetic in hindsight of some of his actions concerning Waltz that explains some of his comments later. In confrontational incidents He and Waltz appear to be able to overcome their problems as friends would. Meaning you are upset and disappointed and give them a serious piece of your mind, but also the friendship still continues unabated. Anyone who pays attention would note that there is an out of character relationship there. If Petrasch would not have been associated with Julia, would Waltz have developed and nurtured that relationship? Everyone drifts off on their own tangent and Rhiney actually appears to get on with life to some extent. At the root of his distress and outbursts are the varied accounts of someone who was not only his friend possibly, but someone he appears to have trusted him.

A bit odd for a murdering, cross dressing drunk it appears.
djui5
Expert

Re: Rhiney Petrasch

Post by djui5 »

It bears saying that Rhinehardt tried very hard to find the mine but at one point was confronted by Tex Barkley and told to get out of the area he was searching or Tex would kill him. That would qualify as at least a reason why he may have never found the mine.

Matthew
LDM

What was the reason for this? Did Tex have insight in the same area? If so, why would he kick someone like Rhinehardt out instead of either following him around secretly, or trying to buddy up with him?

I was under the impression Tex was a "cuddley bear" kinda guy.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Is It True?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

It seems to me, if it's true, that the important question here is: Was Tex the kind of man who would kill someone for being somewhere he didn't like?

Does that open a large can of worms for anyone else?

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Re: Is It True?

Post by djui5 »

Randy,

It seems to me, if it's true, that the important question here is: Was Tex the kind of man who would kill someone for being somewhere he didn't like?

Does that open a large can of worms for anyone else?

Joe Ribaudo

Well of course, that could open up a huge can of worms considering another murder, but I don't want to detract from this thread so I'll keep my questions related to Rhiney (who for some reason I'm very fond of, even though I know hardley anything about him).

I'm curious if Tex is capable of something like that honestly, or if it's just another "story". If so, why would he do that to Rhiney? This all seems to flow against the "grain", and I think could lead to answering a lot of questions in the LDM's history.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
novice
Expert

The Barkley's

Post by novice »

Randy,

If you haven't read it already, there is an article on the Home Page by Kollenborn, "Murder Conspiracy", which paints a picture of the Barkleys?

Garry
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Garry,
I haven't read it, but am going right now, thanks!

Ok, read it, but I don't see that it talks much about the Barkleys morals?
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Randy,

Also try Mr Feldmans book.........it is a nice read and a pretty fair mystery novel as they go.

Rhiney led a pretty independent and productive life in comparison to some others. It is always interesting to note how welcome Herman and Gottfried were in the area as it pertains. Rhiney appears to have burnt some bridges in his day, but some of his anger was more than justifiable.
Again, though Ely interviewed Julia, it was the Bark notes that he followed. The Bark notes do imply the story that is related is that of Rhiney.

I was told long ago that Rhiney was less open on the details concerning the mine/caches than others and was upset with how some information was handled. Of course someone could have been blowing some smoke as well.