James Cravey

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Well yes, of course.

YOU told us that whatever parts of the Bark Notes dont support your theories were , of course, added by others to throw all us dummies off the true trail.

I have to say that after much study I have to agree with you there. You were right and I was wrong. Some person or persons unknown obviously altered the Bark Notes.

You are one smart cookie.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Dummies?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

I believe you have me confused with another member of this Forum. I believe it was someone else who denigrated the members.

"YOU told us that whatever parts of the Bark Notes dont support your theories were , of course, added by others to throw all us dummies off the true trail."

I couldn't help but notice you didn't put that in quotes. Can you explain why? If you are going to tell us what someone else has said, shouldn't it be in quotes?

Doo dao at e. Doo dakoo anlaa da. He nl godeeniih?

Nzhogo nandago,

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

>>I couldn't help but notice you didn't put that in quotes. Can you explain why? If you are going to tell us what someone else has said, shouldn't it be in quotes? <<

Sure I can.

Because I dont feel like looking thru past posts where you stated that.

Heres the difference between you and I.

For me, the Forum is entertaining, sometimes informative and sometimes funny. Its NOT my life. Neither is the RENDEZVOUS. So I dont treat it as such. Neither is Dutch Hunting in general. I am fortunate enough to know more than most veteran old-timers....I know that pisses some folks off, but, I dont care.

If folks dont agree with me or my theories I JUST DONT CARE. I dont go on and on and on and on and on and on and on with silly explanations trying to state my case... Most of the time I am just laughing at all this silly crap, so , I think, are most folks...well most non-TeamJoe folks. Its a Forum, its funny who cares?

For you on the other hand...everything about this Forum is some sort of Homeric life and death struggle. People who dont attend the Rendezvous are without a backbone. People who disagree with you are without honor.
You think everyone is out to get you....where in reality most of the time everyone just wants you to shut the F up!

The holier-than-thou,sanctimonious, flag and apple-pie attitude that you constantly espouse simply wears thin on folks.

Its a Forum.

Its NOT life and death.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Thanks

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

Thanks for clearing up my position on life, as well as your own. It has always been obvious that you know more than everyone else. After all, you tell us over and over again.

If you believe the quote is correct, it must be so. It does, after all, match all your other sources. :lol:

Nzhogo nandago,

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

No problemo
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

uhhh, Craveys skull.....egg shaped thing, missing the hair and skin, kind of white..........nevermind.

Peter,

I once entertained a similar idea about Barkley, though the result could still be correct, the reasoning probably differs. Purnell and Keenan would have been easy scapegoats, but you can't have everyone involved in a conspiracy, there would be too many books. Barkley seemed to truly enjoy the life he led and was successful at it.

Cravey however unlike Adolph Ruth and Jay Clapp, is rarely mentioned. In fact aside of Ely and Sikorsky, I believe he is rarely mentioned. Neither Corbin or Glover mention him at all, which is surprising since there appears to be a bit of publicity prior to his trip.

Funny though how Ruths hat was not only found (ever chased your hat in the mountains?) but in pretty good shape........even after everything else was washed down the hill.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

zentull wrote: Funny though how Ruths hat was not only found (ever chased your hat in the mountains?) but in pretty good shape........even after everything else was washed down the hill.

No big hole in the side of it?
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Nope.......looks in favorable shape after 6 months of weathering. Good photo in Dr Glovers book, prior to Tex bagging up Ruths remains.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Hat

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wayne,

Never noticed a hat in that picture. Upper left hand corner? It does look like a miners pick bottom center. The thermos is easy to make out.

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Thought it was in Glover, could be in Corbin(guess you will have to dust it off). The photo shows the Barkley picture from a more direct angle. There is a thermos, flashlight and hat clearly visible at the ceter top. In the picture with Barkley you can see the thermos and just the top of the flashlight. The hat appears to have been bagged already.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Yeah, Corbins book. I'm looking at it now.

Hat is in good shape.

You know, looking at this picture again, it seems the remains "APPEAR TO ME" to be placed there by someone. The way they are lying is not indicative of remains left when someone dies, but seem scattered in a way to impliment they were placed by someone there, and in a hurry/careless manner.

Another thing that's funny, is the first picture where you can clearly see everything is way better than the picture with Tex. The pic with Tex is really blurry, and the thermos seems to be sitting at a different angle.

Just a thought.

BTW, sorry this is off topic of the thread :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
murphy
Part Timer

James Cravey

Post by murphy »

Other than Walt Gassler's disclosure about Tex moving the body, is there another source for that story?
murphy
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Zentull,

I do not beleive Craveys skull was ever found. The fact that he was found where he was and the condition of the scene (rope across trail, etc) tells me that a singular agency was at work in this case.

Does anyone still think Ruth had information that would lead him directly to the LDM? His main map (the profile map) pertained to California. His secret directions were clipped from a PC Bicknell article. And we was supposed to take this info and with bad leg and all unearth the LDM.....in the middle of June.
All this on a single thermos bottle full of water for his day-hikes.

Ruth hadnt a clue of what he was walking into. Didnt help that he flashed a bunch of the maps he had with him (11 in total in believe) around the ranch...a ranch filled with serious Dutch Hunters.
Last edited by TGH on Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Murphy

I have heard a story that there was an eye-witness to the Ruth killing. Someone who was in the area and saw what happened. Obviousy he never came forward with the story. The killing took place some miles from where the body was found and appeared to be accidental.

I am NOT sure of the veracity of this story, and it is probably just a story. But it does back up information gleaned from Gassler.

P
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Supposedly Pinal county Sheriff Early found Craveys skull the next day after the skeleton was found. It was located nowhere near the body and it appeared the skull and body both had been moved from their original resting place.

It is odd as well that Brownie refers to the group he was guiding as a search party for Ruth, when it wasn't supposed to be. He is not the only one who does so.

djui5,

I believe the Ruth photos were taken after the various pieces of the skeleton had been gathered together. The photo with Tex was most likely taken afterwards and from a different angle. If you look at the identical photo in Dr Glovers book you will note the positions of the thermos, flashlight and bones do correspond to a degree. If Ruth had taken a spill from Black top mesa, I would think the hat would have been near impossible to locate, it would not have followed the trajectory of the rest of the remains.
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

James Cravey

Post by TC ASKEY »

Peter, Are you saying that Ruth believed his main camp at Willow Spring is the loction of the Profile Map or is that an oversight on your part ? I know this is not one of your favorite maps. I am curious as to why your feel this map pertains to California.
TERRY - Update your email address. Current one is dead and you will not receive notices.
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

James Cravey

Post by TC ASKEY »

Peter, Are you saying that Ruth believed his main camp at Willow Spring is the loction of the Profile Map or is that an oversight on your part ? I know this is not one of your favorite maps. I am curious as to why you feel this map pertains to California.
TERRY - Update your email address. Current one is dead and you will not receive notices.
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Terry

I feel the Profile Map, if it leads to a mine, does so in California. Read the article in SMHS Journal #19 by Steve Creager regarding the Profile Map.
Steve did a good job in that article.

Personally I think poor Adolph simply didnt have a clue.........

P
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

Post by TC ASKEY »

Peter, I am aware that Steve believed the Proflie Map was of southern California. I have not read the article. If you have a copy and are able to send it E-Mail, I would like to read it. P.M. me and I will send you me E- Mail address. I can agree with you that Adolph did not have a clue. However, I can not agree that the map pertains to California.
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

TC

Sorry I only have hard copies of the article, nothing on the PC. I can copy and mail it to you if you like.

To me, the Profile Map is much like the Stone Maps. Folks can make out of it whatever they want. Think the Stone Maps belong in the Superstitions?...well of course they do ! And New Mexico and Casa Grande, etc etc.

Same with the Profile Map. Pick your canyon.....and the landmarks are there.
Peters Canyon, LaBarge Box, Red Mountain etc etc....

Want to know where I think the Profile Map belongs? Drive from Miami to Superior. When you approach Devils Canyon look up......EVERYTHING is there....Sima, Escardadia, El Sombrero etc etc.

Now do I really think that? Nah.......but I could make it fit that country in my mind if I wanted to.... Folks chasing the Profile Map or Stone Maps looking for the LDM are in for a neverending pursuit.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

No Clue?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter and Terry,

Big surprise....I disagree with both of you. For a good many reasons, including Ruth's search for the Peg-Leg, it seems obvious that he had more than a clue.

He had a very good reason for going into the Superstitions when he did.
It all has to do with "I came, I saw, I conquered". He could very well have said the same thing in Borrego. (emphasis in bold by Joe)

Just another uninformed opinion. :)

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

Post by TC ASKEY »

Joe, Happy to see that someone can make such a bold statement. I am still trying to figure out which maps you mentioned prior to Ruth, that pinpoint Needle Canyon as the location of the ldm.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

I Said That?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Terry,

I believe you would be pretty safe in eleminating Needle Canyon as a location for the LDM. On the other hand, you might consider 1/4 mile
(or less) to either side of the canyon a location for a cave of gold bars.

Now are we all sure that Ruth was looking for the LDM?

I believe Gene Reynolds might agree that Ruth knew exactly what he was doing, where he wanted to go, and when he wanted to be there. He might also agree that "vidi" was the key.

Take care,

Joe
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Golly gee, thats a surprise, Joe Ribado barging into someone elses conversation..........

LDM slices and dices you in the Gassler thread and now here you are with more silly innane statements.

Do you and your silly theories have a single ounce of credibility left on this Forum? Even the TeamJoe diehards must realize what a nutball you are by now........

Perhaps another 2 or 3 hundred posts in the Stone Map thread will make you feel a little better about yourself.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Private Conversation?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

My apologies. I did not realize you were having a private conversation here. It seemed that everyone was jumping in where they felt like it, including you, so I assumed the topic was open to all members.

I didn't mean you any harm.

Nzhogo nandago,

Joe Ribaudo