how did YOU first develop an interest?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
don
Part Timer

how did YOU first develop an interest?

Post by don »

just wondering how,why or what started YOU on the road to becoming an LDM "student,for want of a better phrase?....for me it was a paperback book my father brought home when i was around 10.(60 years ago-sigh)....cant remember which book it was ,only that it mentioned the james kidd tale which is pretty rare ,and no photos ...never found that book again ,and ive read an awful lot of LDM books since. no internet ,at least for us peasants, so it was harder of course to seek out information then....though when id started working i spent quite a bit of money ordering photo copied newsclippings from the period from if i recall correctly one of the arizona historical societies ,or was it university ? im not sure ....anyway 60 odd years off and on pursuing information on the the tale in one form or other led for me anyway, to a somewhat dead end conclusion. but i wdont regret the ride....the story has led in other directions history wise for me .
anyway , what was the starting point for YOU?
Don update your email address
ThomasG
Part Timer

Re: how did YOU first develop an interest?

Post by ThomasG »

I think I may have already have addressed this issue in a book. But it bears readdressing. Many years ago I came across Sims Ely's book and it interested me. I was in high school, and it only interested me academically.

Years later while in California and Carol, my wife was still in England, I ment Tom Burnett. He and his partner, Len Killen, werew Dutch Hunters. They were/are great guys. I started getting involved largely due to and the bond/frienndship we developed. Both Tom and Len were intelligent men. And they had a wonderfully twisted sense of humor. It was a male bonding thing that has survived Len's death. Short answer it was a personal, friendship "thing".

T
don
Part Timer

Re: how did YOU first develop an interest?

Post by don »

if all the nonsense that was once believed ,but now known to be lies added to make the story seem more exciting, had never been included ,and the legend had been reduced to the "bare bones"of what we "know" to be probabley true.....would any of us have been the least bit interested?...i can only speak for myself ,but id say no.and consequently a whole lot of time wouldnt have been wasted, a whole lot have lives wouldnt have been wasted,a whole lot of books wouldnt have been published,a whole lot of "hot air" wouldnt have been created,..on the other side our imaginations wouldnt have been stimulated ,wed have only spent our money on something else,and arizona would have missed out on tourism cash,and wed have less LDM experts ......but the best outcome maybe would have been that the ludicrous LDM tv series would not have been produced...now ive heard through the grapevine that another series is planned..ive nothing against that,just as long as i dont have to watch it. :lol:
Don update your email address