HOLE IN MINERS NEEDLE

This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please.

Moderator: Jesse J. Feldman

dutchman49
Greenhorn

HOLE IN MINERS NEEDLE

Post by dutchman49 »

MR. RON FELDMAN MY NAME IS RICARDO ORDONEZ AKA DUTCHMAN49.A WHILE BACK I ASKED IF ANY BODY HAD THE COMPASS BEARING OF THE HOLE AT MINERS NEEDLE.IT MAY BE STUPID TO ASK BUT IF YOU CAN AND YOU HAVE THE INFORMATION PLEAS HUMOR ME .DUTCHMAN49 THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Bearing?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ricardo,

Don't we need a second point to determine a "bearing"? As far as I know, the bearing at the eye is 0.

If you are looking for the GPS coordinates, this is close:

N 33 24' 33.8"
W 111 19' 18.0"

The above is using Deg., Min., Sec. and NAD 27 on your GPS.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
dutchman49
Greenhorn

HOLE IN MINERS NEEDLE

Post by dutchman49 »

JOE THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING MY POST. TRUE YOU NEED A SECOUND POINT FOR A BEARING,BUT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS WHAT WOULD BE THE READING LOOKING RIGHT THROUGH THE HOLE AT THE CENTER,90 DEG OF THE FACE OF HOLE. IF IT IS 0 DEG THEN IT WOULD BE NORTH MAG. IS THAT WHAT YOU THINK ... REGARDS DUTCHMAN49 RICARDO
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

dutchman49,

If my memory is correct, it can be seen from about 110 to 140 degrees, with the best bearing somewhere in the middle.

Jesse
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Sight Hole

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ricardo,

I understand. What you are looking for is, using the hole as a sight, what is the bearing of that sight picture off of Mag. North?

Trying to get that bearing, with any degree of accuracy, would requir a climb to the "eye". I doubt anyone has ever done that, with your purpose in mind.

The real problem, as I see it, would be how far away from the Needle the object you are looking for is. A very small error at the Needle, would grow to enormous proportions as you get farther and farther away.

Practically speaking, I can't imagine any reason for someone to go to that much trouble to map out an object. It would be a bit of overkill.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
dutchman49
Greenhorn

hole miners needle

Post by dutchman49 »

Joe , let say it seems overkill to climb the mountain and look through a hole .Let say you take up with you a small transit which you can set in front of hole on a small ledge.Let say that at 90 deg you look through the transit at a target as discribe by a map . then the instruction would be to rotate the transit counter clock wise so many degrees. at this point you would be looking at the mountain side unless sombody made a hole through the mountain so that the final target area is located.or at least a view of the area of interest. If the map gave you a distance measurment ,you might be in the general area for the next step .I thought what you said about the error if you use a compass,and you are right , but if you limit your distance an error of 2 or 3 deg. either way is not that bad . My personal opinion is that most of all the holes in the mountains are starting points to a treasure trails . what you need is the instructions.or you use reverse engineer ing and see if the area you think a mine is can support instuctions off a map using a lanmarks . Point of fact , if you are coming from the south at Queen Creek near Comets Peak the first landmarks you see are Weavers Needle and Miners Needle. Miners Needle has the hole. Dutchman 49 Ricardo P.S. Jess thank you for the info on the bearing of the needle.
mojaveked

Post by mojaveked »

Joe,
Do you have any other GPS coordinates for the area (the caves, black mesa, the trick, ect.)?

Mojaveked
Crush it up, pan it down, pick it out! Again...
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

GPS Coordinates

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ked,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have a lot of GPS Coordinates for the Superstitions. Caves and "the trick" are too numerous and unknown in some cases. You would need to be more specific and if you could do that, you would probably not need anything from me.

Once again, Welcome.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
mojaveked

Post by mojaveked »

Joe,

Anything you or anyone else could give me would help at this point, as I am researching the area.

Thank you
Mojaveked
Crush it up, pan it down, pick it out! Again...
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

This is a little late, but I believe the Miner's Needle is a Keystone Monument. Usually, when the Spanish made keyhole monuments, the keyhole only indicated that this trail was one that led to a mine or cache. You had to look at other markers and monuments on the same hill/mountain to get the actual directions. There are two very nice doorway/entranceway monuments on Miners Needle. Look at the squared off "U" on the right Entranceway. There is a large stone standing up in on the left side of the bottom. This would mean the animal trail is to the left, and the fast walker trail (smaller rock) is to the right.

The keyhole may show that the trail to the mine/cache is around the left side of the mountain.

Miners needle has always interested me very much. If I can get away from al the stuff I have going on here, I would love to get up there and have a closer look.

Mike