THE APACHE AND THE LOST DUTCHMAN MINE

This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please.

Moderator: Jesse J. Feldman

Joe Ribaudo
Expert

THE APACHE AND THE LOST DUTCHMAN MINE

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

There were a good number of people who actually knew where the Lost Dutchman Mine was located. Collectively, they are know as the Apache.

As the story goes, they did not cover the LDM, because it was in such a rough area, they believed it would never be found. Since the massacre, three men, maybe more, have stumbled onto the location. The first three were by accident, pure and simple.

So much for the theory it would never be found. 8O

If the Apache did not want the Peralta mines to be found, what would they do if it became apparent that the richest mine of them all was not "unfindable"?

The first things that come to mind, is that they would hide it, guard it or protect it by making it a "sacred area". It is also possible that they would remove as much of the gold as possible and move it to a more secure location.

Ed Piper may have been setting on or very close to the LDM mine once, and never knew it. I believe you all know the story.

Now if any of you know where Ed was sitting, you have a head start on the others. :)

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

What Is It?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Just placed a picture in the Member Archive. Just a little puzzle to keep folks up nights. One hint: It's Apache.

Joe
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Joe,
Do you have a bigger version of the picture? It's kinda small my friend.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

Right click on the picture and e-mail it to yourself. You can then put it in your photo program and enlarge it.

Joe
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

ceremonial accessories for dancers--katchina mountain spirit dance
just guessin though
SH
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

small image/big medicine
drop the "t" and add an "r"
Da go te'
SH
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Answer

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

SH,

That's a pretty good guess. I would think you could find Katchinas with such a wand. They are used by: Apache, Navajo, Hopi, Zuni, Aztec and any number of Native American tribes.

This particular wand depiction is fairly ornate, which might suggest that it is Western Apache. That would be my guess, but it is only labeled
"Apache Gan Wand".

They are made from sotol stalk or yucca and, as you mentioned, are part of the "ceremonial accessories" for the Crown or Mountain Spirit dancers.
More than "accessories", they are said to contain strong spirit power.

Anything you could add would be interesting.

Joe Ribaudo
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Apache,as well as other southwestern peoples believe that the Kachina Dancers are the embodied representation of the Ga'an or "mountain spirits" in whitespeak.In turn,the Ga'an are the mystical ambassadors of Y'sen(Usen), the creator.In communion with Ysen,as well as tribal ancestors,the Ga'an are the teachers to the Apache and have the power to ensure health and harmony to the N'dee(people).Not to be confused with Di'yins(Shamans)(medicine men),the Ga'an in human representation dwell among the people during the season of new beginnings(spring).Using song and dance,they evoke their blessings and ward off evil during ceremonies such as the Na'ia'es "Sunrise Ceremony",which honours an Apache girl's attainment of puberty.This,by the way,is a four day test of physical and mental endurance which I think that few of us white males could accomplish as well as these young ladies do.The Ga'an appear on the second night of the ceremony,four in number and accompanied by a Goh'ch'ry(clown spirit).An evil spirit usually appears from beyond the firelight during the dance and is banished by the four Ga'an in an elaborate ritual of good vs evil.
Early missionarys were horrified by Ga'an dancers and their wands which resembled the christian cross.They branded the Ga'an as devil dancers and sought to ban the ceremonies.More recently,changes in how native religious practice are viewed by non natives has lead to a better understanding and acceptance of the N'dee lifestyle.
The wand itself,I have been told,often was hollow and contained herbs or other medicine and was used to transfer healing power from Ga'an to recipient.The wand was often very ornately decorated with symbols representing lightning and animal spirits as well as the typical "cross" attachment which sometimes represented clouds or the divide between good and evil.
SH
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Chuck a good friend passed this story along to me years ago. His Uncle was the relative in question who did some sort of cleansing and told him about it, I think. Chuck was pretty bothered by the whole thing and talked about it to see what everyone thought. Been close to 20 years or more since I thought about this story, so the details escape me anymore. It was quite detailed in its original form, so it may have been just a story to teach us boys a lesson.

A couple in Phoenix who were quite well to do, liked collecting Native American artifacts. What they preferred were those that would be construed as "the real thing" no questions asked, no price too high.

Among the collection were a pair of dolls that had been obtained in a less than honest manner.

Supposedly a relative had to determine where the couples haunting or whatever was emanating from and remove the objects causing the situation.

Supposedly the lights would flicker, muffled thunder could be heard and the wind would blow inside the collection room.

The big problem were the two 12 foot high gentlemen that walked around the house at night all dressed up with no place to go. If you looked at them directly they would vanish.

Don't remember if it was the dolls or some objects that leant power to them. Used to know the dolls names, maybe better if I don't mention if I do remember.

I do know the story originally kept us up half the night jumping at shadows.
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

I woulda been really spooked,cause I only have 10 ft ceilings.
And the toilet is upstairs. :lol:
SH.