One Man/Woman, One Identity

This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please.

Moderator: Jesse J. Feldman

Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

One Man/Woman, One Identity

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

Moderators Address Conerned,

Their is a way for one man, one identity. A small membership fee on a credit/debit card could possibly stop multiple identities for the entire forum. Not full proof, but the best that can be done that I know of. The fee would go to the webmaster for his time.

My guess, this is not in the best interest of the forum. I just wanted everyone to understand what can be done. Again, it is not fullproof since buisness, spouce, friends, family, accounts could be used.

Jesse
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Hey Jesse,

I'm not sure what software is used for this forum, but typically there should be (in the admin area) that lists the IP Addresses of every member.

That should be another way to cut down on multiple user ID's. See how many user id's are from the same IP Address. If you get more than one user ID from one IP address, then privately contact them, to see if it is a wife , son, or whatever. If so, then cool, but keep an eye on the posts from that IP. You can usually tell if there is any funny business going on.

Mike
padutchman
Greenhorn

One Identity

Post by padutchman »

Jesse,
I'm new to the forum...we met over the phone a few weeks ago and am looking forward to meeting you on my next trip "outside".

I agree with the efforts to enforce one identity. I think Mike's suggestion is the solution if it is technically possible to match IP addresses to members.

Having read all the archived Discussion posts these past several weeks, I became acutely aware of the potential problems with multiple usernames and the use of aliases. The term username suggests that new members use a nickname or alias rather than a person's given and surname. Do you prefer folks register and use their real names as the username? If so, I'll change my profile. Not a problem here.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Identities

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

PAD,

Welcome to the LDM Forum.

There are a number of folks who have used "nickmanes" without causing a single problem. The problems have come from folks who were here all along, are known, and want to make mindless attacks on other members.

They know they are saying stupid and childish things and don't want anyone to know it's them. Best way to say something you are ashamed of, is to hide your identity.

Many of those people who engaged in mindless, anonymous attacks have gone to another site. They don't allow that sort of thing, so they have effectively muzzled their own inclinations. Probably sleep better now.

The management has taken a firm hand on controling this site now, so it probably doesn't matter if someone has a number of identities. It's better than it was.

Look forward to reading more from you.

Joe Ribaudo
padutchman
Greenhorn

username

Post by padutchman »

Joe,

Thanks for the welcome and comments. I think I spoke to soon, it appears I cannot change my username. Oh well, I guess I'll leave it like it is and just sign my name. Looking forward to the "new" forum and discussions on a most favorite subject.

I have posted a reply earlier today re the Red Mountain site and Ramses' book.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Bill Bear
Wasilla, Alaska