Not So PM

Anything goes. Politics, religion and your neighbors spouse. No censors, no dictators. Any and all opinions welcome.
Wiz
Expert

Not So PM

Post by Wiz »

I have been informed by someone I trust, that moderators on this site have free access to PMs. I can't verify this directly, but as I said, I trust my source. So, if you engage in any PM activity, your messages are likely subject to scrutiny.
For whatever that's worth.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Moderators

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wiz,

If you are talking about this Forum, I don't believe there are moderators.

If you mean the two moderated forums, I don't have access to the PMs on mine. I do, on the other hand, have access to the IP address of anyone who posts there. The system does have glitches and has shown me posting from the same IP as Peter.

Who do you believe is reading those PMs?

Joe Ribaudo
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

No access to PMs

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

Wiz,

We have no such access to the web-site, including the ldm moderated discussions. Sounds like there is a hacker. Who? NOT US. We have a life to live. The webmaster will need to know exactly what happened, so give me some detail then I will ask the him what, and if he can find out who is disrupting the system.

Jesse
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Perp

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

It will be interesting if you can get Wiz's "source" out of him. When you stop and think about it, how would that person have any idea it was happening, unless he was the perp, or the hacker told him. 8O

The agenda continues in the effort to destroy this site. The person who gave this "information" to Wiz knew that he would post it here.

You only need to read back through past threads to find someone who hints that he knows "private" information. That person has a good understanding of the world of computers, and the internet.

Keeping this "source" secret, only advances the agenda.

Take care, and good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
Wiz
Expert

Re: No access to PMs

Post by Wiz »

Jesse J. Feldman wrote:Wiz,

We have no such access to the web-site, including the ldm moderated discussions. Sounds like there is a hacker. Who? NOT US. We have a life to live. The webmaster will need to know exactly what happened, so give me some detail then I will ask the him what, and if he can find out who is disrupting the system.

Jesse
Thanks, Jesse. I'll forward your offer to the party who informed me of the problem, one of the many folks who have left the site due to Ribaudo's continual badgering. They'll have to fill in the details themselves. Since they are gone, and I'm not (yet), I felt I should pass this concern along.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Hanging In There

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wiz,

It's good to see that you are hanging in here. It is not always easy to do the right thing.

I know we have had some harsh words in the past, but I am looking forward to a better future, in part because of the spirit of Roger's "Code Of Conduct". I hope everyone signs on to that code.

I, for one, really appreciate your warning us all of the danger in the PMs on this site. I used them a lot, and always felt safe doing so.

For awhile I thought you were one of the people working in the shadows to destroy the Forum. I can now see that I was mistaken, and apologize for the suspicion.

Joe Ribaudo
redison
Part Timer

Post by redison »

Wiz,

Is it possible that you (or your source) misunderstood?

Under normal circumstances, the webmaster (Count) would be expected to have access to PM's but not moderators.

Are you aware of what the difference is and could you (or your source) have gotten the two confused?

redison
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Redison,
Anything's possible, I suppose. I'm just the messenger. I do believe that my source for this warning has good reason to give it.
redison
Part Timer

Post by redison »

Wiz,

I have seen a number of PM's being circulated that have been copied and pasted into new PM's and emails. That could give the appearance that someone had hacked into the PM section of the site.

Especially if someone had two identies and copied a PM from one identity and sent it out under another.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. I am only guessing here, I could be all wrong and your source could be right.

redison
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Passwords

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

I talked to the web-master and he said nobody hacked into the system. Hacked was the word I chose to use with my limited knowledge of the web. It was the wrong word. - But, passwords are all you need to log on to someone elses private messages, etc. They can be obtained many ways that can not be controlled. For example; Visits to the house of the victim - or - If someone knows your personal life, they can take a good guess. I suggest if you think someone knows your password, change it. It is a simple fix.

Jesse
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Trust?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

What you say is true, but what we have been told, by Wiz's "source", is that "moderators on this site have free access to PMs".

That is a bit different than what you are saying.

The idea that "moderators" meaning management for this site, are reading and then floating P.M.s to other people, places the entire Forum in a bad position, to say the least.

This is an "unsubstantiated" rumor, and does not serve the members well, in any way.

What it does do, is place unwarranted suspicion and mistrust on the "moderators/management".

At this point, IMHO, Waltz as a "crossdresser" has more validity than this rumor.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
count
Expert

Paranoia, Conspiracy Theories, Ad hominem and Flaming

Post by count »

Moderators DO NOT have access to PMs.

System administators and webmasters have access to everything on their system or website including PMs. This is true for thelostdutchmangoldmine.com as it is true for every website. Either you trust the administration of a website or you dont trust it - the decision is entirely yours. Act accordingly.

If anyone has evidence that their PMs have been compromised the administration of this website will investigate the matter if specific details are provided. If the only evidence presented is a statement indicating "a friend I trust told me so" the complaint will be ignored and not responded to.

FYI, ISPs have full access to all their clients email, so when using email you need to determine if you trust or not trust your ISP.

There has been much flaming and many ad hominem arguments in the forums. These two debating tactics are used routinely by debaters who lack confidence in the validity of their postition. The only effective way to deal with these posters is to TOTALLLLLLY ignore them. Dont read their posts and dont respond to their posts.

count - webmaster
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Let's not get our panties in a wad, gentlemen, I stated right from the beginning that I could not verify this statement. If you choose to ignore it, I won't be offended. If you don't, I won't know anyway. The volume of response does surprise me, though, I never actually expected any response at all.
What Jesse said about passwords is very true, and if there is any truth to my initial statements, is quite possibly close to what has happened. But I find the hostility of the responses that followed to be... interesting.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

"Hostility"?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wiz,

I only found "hostility" in one post on this thread. What did I miss?

I think everyone knows how to handle your original post, and I doubt there was any real excitement generated by it.

As you said, you are just the "messenger". No need to defend someone else's words.

I am more than willing, as I have said, to call an end to the constant attacks. We don't have to be friends, but there is no need for the endless
sniping.

You should consider signing on to the "Code". As Roger said, there is no need to use your real name.

Let's call an end to it right here, and see what happens.

Joe Ribaudo
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

It's at an end. I delivered my message, without sniping at anyone.
Finis.