Indian,s and ancesters

Anything goes. Politics, religion and your neighbors spouse. No censors, no dictators. Any and all opinions welcome.
bill711
Expert

Indian,s and ancesters

Post by bill711 »

I been busy Joe. I was not writing abt. blow hards who were desperate for someone to listen to them Joe. My gdad came to visit driving a A-model car black car sporting red painted wood wheels It seems like they might have been white walls too. He had the quite dignity that comes with real old age. He came to visit so he spent time talking in order-the parents-older boys and girls-then us little ones he had us gather around where he was sitting and he would ask us questions and we would answer and tell him about what we did and what we did at school and things first and then each one of us kids could ask him 1 question! Since we were amazed at his age we asked him how things were when he grow up and he would tell. He was born in virginia after his dad got out of the army they moved to south Texas where they ranched and tried to farm. He told us stories about the fights they had with the apachies and the comanches. He spent several yrs in the army fighting them. He got out of the army and became a cowboy at which he did all over texas, arizona and new mexico. He rode with Billy the kid on one ranch for awhile, He said cowboying he still fought the apache, the comanche and the mexican raiders who he said were as bad if not worse than the indians! My older brother said one day how he hated them and my gdad said no it was wrong to hate them and explain the red man was just fighting and trying to keep his tribual ways. He then told us how at times him and some of the other boys would go over to the village and drink coffee and trade with them. They would talk over the fights that they had been in and fight against one another. He said there was nothing wrong with the indian he just had different ways is all and they clashed with the white mans way. There was old mr. Hunnycut he was in his ninties he was born in a covered wagon in Texas. He told us of his days of army and fighting the apacha and the comanche and mexican raiders in texas and arizona and new mexico. He cowboyed all over the 3 states when he was young and not married. He would go thru 2 or 3 chews of tobacco waiting for us kids to speak first. He knew we like his early day stories of his life he also told us of driving cows to market. The only time he got exited is whan he was talking abt how mean his wife had become, I think she beat him up. or when he come to our house on fri or sat to play pitch cards and listen to the fri. nite fights. He loved the card games. There was old mr. bill Kelton who was abt. 90 He would sit sometimes drinking with my dad after they left the beer joint and they would talk abt the old ways. Bill would talk abt some of his soldiering days in the southwest. He had fought the indians and mexicans too. He had some good stories. I think the experience still bothered him even in his later yrs. These were not loud mouths Joe. This was about 1948-1950. My grandpa was 98 he painted his own housed-roofed it-he fell off at 99 years and broke his arm. Some idiot in the hospital pulled his 1 old brown snagglty tooth while they had him out fixing his arm. Gma said he would have shot the doctor if had had his gun. He used the tooth to cut and filed his chew of tobacco. He did live to be 100 by abt one month before he passed way. I have to go now. Bill 8)