Blackmail?

Anything goes. Politics, religion and your neighbors spouse. No censors, no dictators. Any and all opinions welcome.
lazarus
Expert

Blackmail?

Post by lazarus »

If you guys are wondering whatever happened to our old pal ASUgrad, it appears he is not as ethical as he would have us believe. Today I recieved an e-mail from him in which he threatens to expose my identity if I don't tell him where I found the deity. This is the entire e-mail, verbatim.

"Ha Ha, I got the goods on you now, Lazarus. I was able to get your IP address and now I know that you are either Gloria Nava or Brad Cooper. I'm sure these names hit home because I know where that is too. I also have your phone number and your credit history, among other things.
And I'll bet you don't even know what an IP address is...amateur!

I'm not going to post this on the forum just yet, but I'd really like to know where you found the little guy. So fess up, sucka!"

So now you know the truth...
I bet you're all real surprised to find out who I am...(sarcasm). Unfortunately, we have also learned some rather disturbing news about our ASUgrad. He certainly lowered my opinion of him.

I wrote him back, and I told him the truth, but I doubt he'll be satisfied with the truth. Only time will tell.

Laz
bill711
Expert

Blackmail

Post by bill711 »

Lazarus; It is just fine with me whatever your name or credit history is I will still think well of you. I will not harass you in any way. AS FOR ASU he is just a tiny little fraction of a man. He showed the type of person he is, shit sorry, and his moma probley doesn,t like him either and his dad kicked his sorry ass out of the house for not working and welfare sent him to the government school. NOW he,s showing us all what he learned while he was there. Bill
lazarus
Expert

Blackmail?

Post by lazarus »

Bill,
once again, thank you for the kind words of support. I think we all know who the good guys are...
I really don't know what ASUgrad was thinking when he hacked my IP address. His actions are indeed those of a desperate, pathetic man. You'll notice he didn't have any qualms about threatening to extort information from someone he thought might be a female. In fact, extortion is probably a better word to describe his conduct. Cowardly is another word that comes to mind.
He is going to have a rather difficult task ahead of him if he thinks he is going to get in my good graces with this sort of nonsense.

laz
P
Part Timer

Post by P »

Laz

His conduct is also illegal. You should consider contacting the authorities.

P
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Peter,
I warned him that I might just do that...and I might. I don't take that sort of conduct lightly.

laz
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

There was a definite implied threat in the statement that he knew where your home was, and had your credit history. Why say these things if not to suggest he was going to use the knowledge to harm you in some way? The possibility of a physical threat is very real. Grad is looking to get himself into something way over his head. Who knows, he might end up being someones pet over at Club Fed.
I notice he throws derisive terms like "amateur" around in much the same way as our friend Wyatt. Maybe just coincidence.
bill711
Expert

mine deity

Post by bill711 »

Lazarus; He did imply a threat when he said he knew where you lived, Have the lady take the deity and both of you go to the police and complain of his actions. Hell he may be a serial rapist or something. The police can find out who he is right away. They can haul his rearend in and give him a good shaking up and let him know he,s on the border line of going to prison. Bill
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Threat?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Laz,

There seems to be a strong undercurrent of insanity running through a great percentage of this guy's posts. While I doubt his email to you meets any tests of a "legal" threat, I would think there is enough evidence here to have him banned "in all of his identities" from this forum.

His going after the identity of a member of this forum, and making such a threat, more than qualifies him for removal from this site. The man has shown himself to be a danger to the members (if only in his own mind) and in this case, that also makes him a danger to himself. Legal reason to have him commited in Arizona. :)

Having said that, I would not hesitate to take his email and identity to the authorities. I don't think they would do anything at this point, but it would not hurt to have something on the record. Since the man has presented himself to be a little unbalanced, you should also take whatever precautions you feel are warranted. Being somewhat paranoid, due to past experiences, precautions have been part of my life for around 37 years now. :wink:

Ron,

Hope all is well with you and the family.

Consider this to be a formal complaint against this nut.
Wyatt.....and all of his identities should be sent packing, before this gets out of hand.
This game is riding into a bad place.

Respectfully,

Joe
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Joe,
Do you have any concrete reasons for thinking Grad and Wyatt might be the same person? I was only suggesting a similarity in style. I would hesitate to ban Wyatt unless I was sure he was the same guy. Talking crazy doesn't warrant expulsion, or else we'd all be kicked off. But Grad went way, way over the line in threatening Laz.
If you have reasons you'd rather not share, that's fine, but I'd like to know if you do have reasons.
dutch elm disease
Part Timer

Post by dutch elm disease »

lazarus,
im afraid i dont know whats happening on here anymore, its sorry state of affairs, but as "p" says hacking is illegal,if indeed he has done that, then contact his i.s.p first. i believe the personal safety issue is prob a bit over the top,i would imagine hes just winding you up.i cant really see how he could have hacked into your p.c through aposting on here,its more likely hes an acquaintance. best of luck with your problem,shouldnt worry too much.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

More Than One?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wiz,

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably.....

Joe, the webmaster, should take a look at this situation and make a decision. He will know who this guy is.

Tracking down a member of this forum and making "veiled" threats is something that should be taken seriously. "talking crazy" is something else altogether.

Most forums have rules against some of the things that have gone on here. It helps keep the posting a little more focused and provides some modicum of security. I have never seen a forum where exposing someones identity is allowed. ASU grad has threatened to post that information on the site. At this point, Lazarus has done what ASU grad said he was considering doing. Frustrating a mentally unbalanced person is never a good idea.

I believe this guy is no danger to Laz, or anyone else for that matter. Having said that, I would not be walking around wearing "Kino glasses". 8)

All that I have said is nothing more than opinion, so I could, of course, be wrong. Having posted that opinion, I will let others make up their own minds and see if anything is done to curb this kind of conduct.

Peter,

You were correct on this matter, and I will follow your advise from this point on. Others have said the same thing.

Respectfully,

Joe
count
Expert

Message from the webmaster

Post by count »

I received a number of emails from forum members complaining about each other. I read some of the postings in question and found them to be within the forum's topic with some extra flaming (bullshitting, razzing, goading, insulting, etc.,) on the side.

This is an OPEN forum. It is NOT moderated so flaming should be expected from time to time. In an open forum the best response to flames is to ignore them. Don't read flamers and don't respond to them and they will go away quickly.

If anyone wants a moderated forum let me know. I will set up a private forum and make you the moderator.

If anyone wants an open forum not related to the LDM let me know and I will set it up also.

Regarding illegal activities - if anyone is a victim of illegal activity (online or offline) they should contact their local police. Your webmaster is not a law enforcement officer and can't arrest or prosecute the criminal.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

What are Moderators?

"Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) whose job it is to look after the running of the forums from day to day. They have the power to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally moderators are there to prevent people going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material." (emphasis in bold by Joe)

I have received a spamming or abusive email from someone on this board!

"We are sorry to hear that. The email form feature of this board includes safeguards to try and track users who send such posts. You should email the board administrator with a full copy of the email you received, it is very important this include the headers (these list details of the user that sent the email). They can then take action." (emphasis in bold by Joe)

Should we assume that this "action" would be taken in the decisive manner of the United Nations? :)

It would seem I have misread these FAQs. :?

As I understant it now, an "open forum" means that there is actually no control over the content of the posts. We are lucky that Peter has the good "taste" to put his more graphic sexual fantasies in Apache. :lol:

I think I like the concept of such an "open forum". Makes it seem like we are living in the "old west". I will keep this in mind next time I feel the urge to tell someone to "F" OFF.

Anyone know what happens when chocolate is banned :?:

Respectfully,

Joe
count
Expert

Moderated Forum

Post by count »

Joe Ribaudo -
A modearated forum has been created for those who need or want protection from nasty posts. You are the moderator of the new forum.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Nasty Posts?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Count,

Stick your "modearated forum" where the sun don't shine. I like this one just fine. :) You will have no problem understanding when I ask for a new forum, because it will be done in plain English.

I posted quotes from this forum's FAQs, because they seem to lay out some boundries that you are unable to understand. If you are having trouble with some of the big words in those quotes, ask just about anyone you find at hand to explain the meaning. :roll:

I understand "flaming" and "nasty posts" and have no problem with them.
If you feel that the things going on with Lazarus are in that catagory, fine.

Making a complaint is just part of your "open forum". Why are you taking it so personally? All that was required was a simple reply stating your position and that of the site. Your bullshit comment about creating a "modearated forum" and making me the "moderator" showed little thought process taking place in your answer to my posts.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to go back into the FAQs and remove words like: "prevent, abusive, offensive, safeguards and take action".
Is the only job of a 'modearator" on this forum to post smart-ass answers
to a serious post? If so, you have done an admirable job.

Thanks for taking your valuable time to address my concerns, while lowering the level of discourse.

Joe Ribaudo
bill711
Expert

stone maps

Post by bill711 »

WELL SAID BIG JOE; Who would want to talk nasty to the LAZARUS anyway? He,s about the most inoffensive person I,ve ever talked to. Hell we just now got him to where he will talk at all! Bill :roll: