This really seems weird to me...

Anything goes. Politics, religion and your neighbors spouse. No censors, no dictators. Any and all opinions welcome.
Cubfan64
Expert

This really seems weird to me...

Post by Cubfan64 »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/17/nyreg ... ester.html

I don't care how anyone spins this, it sounds to me like the community of Port Chester has a large hispanic population that either has been unable or unwilling to unite to vote for a "representative" candidate. Why that's "against the law" I don't have a clue.

Glad to see they got it all fixed though :roll:

What a country!
Knun
Part Timer

Re: This really seems weird to me...

Post by Knun »

Strange days we live in.

The article says:
According to the most recent census data, from 2006 to 2008, Latinos make up 49 percent of the village’s roughly 28,000 people, though many are not citizens; about 39 percent are non-Hispanic whites and 7 percent are black. Still, in past elections, the preferred candidates for the village board among Latino voters were usually defeated.
So almost half the folks are hispanic and most of them are not citizens. I may be crazy but I thought you had to be a citizen to vote.

So we have a town in which the majority is hispanic and the majority of those folks are not citizens.

1) What does not being citizens mean exactly?
2) Why are the majority hispanic to begin with? I'm not being a racist here but why the congragation of a single minority? Without researching it I would believe a low paying major business could somehow be involved. Just my first thought.
3) How does a judge have the power to say that folks can vote more than once?

Are we in trouble or what?