WHAT'S FREEDOM WORTH TO YOU?

Anything goes. Politics, religion and your neighbors spouse. No censors, no dictators. Any and all opinions welcome.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

WHAT'S FREEDOM WORTH TO YOU?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Just received this from Terry Askew, and it's worth repeating.....everywhere:

Ever wonder what happened to the 58 men

who signed the Declaration of Independence ?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors,

and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.

Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army;

another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or

hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes,

and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.

Eleven were merchants,

nine were farmers and large plantation owners;

men of means, well educated,

but they signed the Declaration of Independence

knowing full well that the penalty would be death if

they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and

trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the

British Navy. He sold his home and properties to

pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British

that he was forced to move his family almost constantly.

He served in the Congress without pay, and his family

was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him,

and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer,

Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown , Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that

the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson

home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General

George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed,

and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed.

The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying.

Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill

were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests

and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his

children vanished.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and

silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free!

I hope you will show your support by sending this to as many

people as you can, please. It's time we get the word out that patriotism

is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer,

picnics, and baseball games.

Joe Ribaudo
Knun
Part Timer

Post by Knun »

You never answered the question Joe.

What's freedom worth to you?
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Just as a matter of interest Joe, how many of the afore mentioned were English or of English (British) descent?
Don update your email address
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

My point being of course,that if any of them were british,then I presume they would be traitors,as far as Britain was concerned. And I suspect a lot had to do with vested self interests and not pure patriotism alone. Sometimes "waving the flag" is a handy smokescreen.Not having been there at the time,I can only wonder :lol:
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Never Happen In America.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

[That Will Never Happen In America!"

Steve McCullough

June 17, 2009

1. What if I had told you in October 2008, before the last presidential election, that before Barack Obama's first 100 days in office, the federal government would be in control of both the mortgage and the banking industries? That 19 of America's largest banks would be forced to undergo "stress tests" by the federal government which would determine that they were "insufficiently capitalized" so they must be supervised by the government? Would you have said, "C'mon, that will never happen in America"?

2. What if I had told you that within Barack Obama's first 100 days in office the federal government would be the largest shareholder in the US Big Three automakers - Ford, GM, and Chrysler? That the government would kick out the CEO's of these companies and appoint hand-picked executives with zero experience in the auto industry and that executive compensation would be determined not by a Board of Directors but by the government? Would you have said, "C'mon, that will never happen in America"?

3. What if I had told you that Barack Obama would appoint 21 "Czars", without congressional approval, accountable only to him - not to the voters - who would have control over a wide range of US policy decisions? That there would be a Stimulus Accountability Czar, an Urban Czar, a Compensation Czar, an Iran Czar, an Auto Industry Czar, a Cyber Security Czar, an Energy Czar, a Bank Bailout Czar, and more than a dozen other government bureaucrats with unchecked regulatory powers over US domestic and foreign policy? Would you have said, "C'mon, that will never happen in America"?

4. What if I had told you that the federal deficit would be $915 billion in the first six months of the Obama presidency - with a projected annual deficit of $1.75 trillion - triple the $454.8 billion in 2008, for which the previous administration was highly criticized by Obama and his fellow Democrats? That congress would pass Obama's $3.53 trillion federal budget for fiscal 2010? That the projected deficit over the next ten years would be greater than $10 trillion? Would you have said, "C'mon, that will never happen in America"?

5. What if I had told you that the Obama Justice Department would order FBI agents to read Miranda rights to high-value detainees captured on the battlefield and held at US military detention facilities in Afghanistan? That Obama would order the closing of the Guantanamo detention facility with no plan for the disposition of the 200-plus individuals held there? That several of the suspected terrorists at Guantanamo would be sent to live in freedom in Bermuda at the expense of the US government? Would you have said, "C'mon, that will never happen in America"?

6. What if I had told you that the federal government would seek powers to seize key companies whose failures could "jeopardize the financial system"? That a new regulatory agency would be proposed by Obama to control loans, credit cards, mortgage-backed securities, and other financial products offered to the public? Would you have said, "C'mon, that will never happen in America"?

7. What if I had told you that Obama would travel to the Middle East, bow before the Saudi king, and repeatedly apologize for America's past actions? That he would travel to Latin America where he would warmly greet Venezuela's strongman Hugo Chavez and sit passively in the audience while Nicaraguan Marxist thug Daniel Ortega charged America with terrorist aggression in Central America? Would you have said, "C'mon, that will never happen in America"?

8. Okay, now what if I were to tell you that Obama wants to dismantle conservative talk radio through the imposition of a new "Fairness Doctrine"? That he wants to curtail the First Amendment rights of those who may disagree with his policies via internet blogs, cable news networks, or advocacy ads? Would you say, "C'mon, that will never happen in America"?

9. What if I were to tell you that the Obama Justice Department wants to limit your Second Amendment rights to keep and bear arms? That the federal government wants to reinstate the so-called "assault weapons" ban which would prohibit the sale of any type of firearm that requires the shooter to pull the trigger every time a round is fired? That Obama's Attorney General wants to eliminate the sale of virtually all handguns, which most citizens choose for self-defense? Would you say, "C'mon, that will never happen in America"?

10.. What if I were to tell you that the Obama plan is to eliminate states' rights guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment and give the federal government sweeping new powers over policies currently under the province of local and state governments and voted on by the people? That Obama plans to control the schools, energy production, the environment, health care, and the wealth of every US citizen? Would you say, "C'mon, that will never happen in America"?

11. What if I were to tell you that the president, the courts, and the federal government have ignored the US Constitution and have seized powers which the founders of our country fought to restrict? That our last presidential election may have been our last truly free election for some time to come? That our next presidential election may look similar to the one recently held in Iran? I know, I know what you say, "That will never happen in America".]

I have not checked on every word in this email, but I know enough of it is true to be very sad.

Joe Ribaudo
lbj
Part Timer

Post by lbj »

don, touche. as always one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. looks like joe is ignoring your post.
lbj
Part Timer

Post by lbj »

joe, why do you post others letters? dont you have enough of your own ideas?

steves list is a crock of shit. his first point ignores that it was bush and the far right that bailed out and took over the banks. it was not that long ago. dont you remember it took place before obama was pres?????

do you really believe the auto industry was driven into bankruptcy by obama??? if you do, you give him too much credit. i dont think even he is smart enough to drive the automobile industry into the ground in 100 days.

bush abolished habeas corpus. bush established torture. bush gave the nsa authority to spy on american citizens. bush walked down the aisle holding hands with the saudi king.

may god, where have all you right wingers left your minds to fall for all this bull about obama?????

ps. dont think i didnt notice you still didnt answer me what makes america number one.
lbj
Part Timer

Post by lbj »

joe, point 5 in steves list.

the released men were uighurs. their only guilt was being anticommunists. not even the conservative hacks accuse them of any anti american activity. today the chinese communists killed 140 uighurs to keep them inline. i guess you think america should follow the communist example and kill anticommunists wherever you find them.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Who's Who?????

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don,

They were all Americans, and patriots.

Without researching each of the signers individually, that question would be pretty hard to answer. I believe all but nine were immigrants, and assume the rest were native born. I have read somewhere, that around half were of Scottish descent.

That's the best I can do with your question. Anyone who is interested in a more detailed answer, should do their own research. In the process, you will come to appreciate the privilege of living in America.

Looks like lbj only reads/understands your shorter posts. :roll:

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Uighurs.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

lbj,

Each and every time you post, I am amazed at the level of your intelligence. If you feel that the Uighurs in Gitmo were innocent Boy Scouts, who just got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, it must be so.

Thanks for your reply.

Joe Ribaudo
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Joe,
Lbjs "ones mans terrorists etc" is a valid point......So wouldnt the 9 immigrants ,at least , technically have been traitors? In the same way (comparatively) that a division of american troops would be if they suddenly announced they were forming their own government in Iraq,and severing ties with america?.....................and taking over iraqs oil production into the bargain?
regards
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Don,

There are many in this world who consider us no better than the terrorists. In fact, some think the terrorists have the higher ground. If too many folks in Great Britain have that opinion, you are going to have a rude awakening when the real terrorists start walking into your schools with bombs strapped to their bodies. That is what real terror is all about.

Every single signer of the Declaration Of Independence was a traitor to those who considered us their subjects. You may not appreciate our history, but there are still many Americans who have great pride in what this country has accomplished, and the good that we have done along the way. In fact, your country has been the recipient of our wealth, blood and friendship for most of the years we have been a nation. That's not to say we haven't been mortal enemies on occasion, but that is true of most countries who have power.

To be sure, our involvement in other countries often coincides with our own self interests. Without that as a guide, we would soon become no better than a third-world power and subject to the whims of every two-bit tyrant who is willing to enforce his will with violence. The history of this country is replete with such efforts.

As a nation, have we done things that were shameful,... most assuredly! Will we repeat our mistakes in the future,....probably. In the final analysis, what country would you prefer by your side when the terrorists attempt to force you to your knees? By the same token, we would want our friends in England by our side in any fight for freedom........anywhere in the world.

I totally disagree with lbj's "ones mans terrorist etc" as being a "valid point" as it applies to todays situation. Trying to compare the Jiahadist's methods and agenda to America's is the ruminations of a madman.

Take care,

Joe
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Joe,
I wasnt trying to compare the issue surrounding the dec of ind signing with the present terrorist state of affairs.Just making the point that the people treated as traitors in the post in question,(or some of them )were Indeed traitors....to the british anyway.Now whether or not the British held the moral high ground is another issue.
I believe a few American "traitors" were executed by washingtons troops also.....so fair is fair.
Im not one who thinks America is the problem today,in fact I think the "war on terror" is not only a noble policy,but an essential one, though i think a few nuclear devices dropped on Iraq,Iran and N.Korea would be the better option..rather than fight a prolongued war with the necessary and inevitable loss of life on the western forces side.
Im also well aware of the sacrifices made by American troops to keep Europe free,both before,during and after WW2.I think you took my post to mean much more than was actually intended.
such is life 8O
regards
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Lumpy Answer......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Sorry Don,

I got a little carried away with my reply to you, by lumping in the feelings of others into the mix. My Bad!

I like exchanging ideas with folks, even when we are far apart in our politics and sometimes our ideals. Not everyone has ideas, and often think the things that tumble out of their brain pans and into the world will pass as......intelligent thoughts.

I am doing my best to ignore that mental Tower Of Babel. It seems to be getting easier to stay our of such non-productive discourse.

It's refreshing to have you to talk to. Glad I didn't run you off.

Take care,

Joe
deadguy
Greenhorn

the e-mails that you guys "share" here...

Post by deadguy »

To All,
It would probably be a good idea to check these chain mails with snopes.com before sharing them.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/pricepaid.asp
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Thanks.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

D.G.,

Thanks for the advise. It's advise I have given here myself, and failed to follow this time. My apologies for not checking it out first. Actually there were a few things that stuck out, that should have prodded me to go to the Internet, but the overall truth of the message in the email could not be ignored.

There were many Americans who sacrificed everything to give birth to this nation. There was a bit of meaning to the fact that they "pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor." While they were the ones who put these words to paper, there were countless other who were ready to make that same pledge.......and stand by it to their deaths.

The core meaning of the words in that email have more value than the individual words themselves. In essence, it conveys the "Spirit Of Seventy-Six". The question that lies before us now would be: Is that same spirit and willingness to sacrifice everything, including our lives, still alive in the America of today?

Is it your contention that the erroneous "facts" in that email, somehow diminishes the spirit and heroism of the signers of the Declaration of Independence? That, after all, was the true/important message to us all.

Thank you again for the correction.

Joe Ribaudo
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

Post by TC ASKEY »

The chain letter was close enough to make it's point. At the time of the
Revolutionary War, only 1/3 of Americans were patriots. About 1/3 were
loyalists to the king and about 1/3 were uncommitted to either side.
(per the History Channel on July 4th.)

The sad part is it would be much the same today.

Terry Askey
deadguy
Greenhorn

Re: Thanks.......

Post by deadguy »

Joe Ribaudo wrote:D.G.,

Is that same spirit and willingness to sacrifice everything, including our lives, still alive in the America of today?

Yes I believe it is.

Joe Ribaudo wrote:

Is it your contention that the erroneous "facts" in that email, somehow diminishes the spirit and heroism of the signers of the Declaration of Independence? That, after all, was the true/important message to us all.

Thank you again for the correction.

Joe Ribaudo
No. It doesn't diminish it in my eyes, but you could get the same idea across without the lies.

In most of the other chain letters that are focused on partisan demonizing, the lies are used to provoke hatred toward your fellow American. They work because most people don't check their sources. In the end I was just giving some friendly advice because I think facts are important and I've had to tell most of my friends to stop forwarding me chain letters without fact checking them first.

An analogy: If I were to give you a sandwich that is 96% bullsh*t and 4% ham would you dare call it anything other than a bullsh*t sandwich?

D.G.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Lies.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

D.G.,

"No. It doesn't diminish it in my eyes, but you could get the same idea across without the lies."

I don't disagree with you at all. That, of course, is why I apologized for posting an email which was not 100% correct, but qualified that the sentiment and spirit was on the money.

These kinds of email's and messages are not unique to one side or the other, but come from everywhere.

In fact, I did get the same idea across without lies. The apology that I offered for posting the error filled email was sincere, but that's as far as I will go. My follow-up post expressed my feelings exactly. None of us are mistake free in this life, so I can live with a few lazy mental moments. If you want to characterize that as me lying, that's your right.

Joe Ribaudo
deadguy
Greenhorn

Re: Lies.......

Post by deadguy »

Joe Ribaudo wrote:D.G.,

If you want to characterize that as me lying, that's your right.

Joe Ribaudo
That was not my intention. I was referring to the author of the email. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Good Day,
Deadguy
lbj
Part Timer

Post by lbj »

tc askey
The chain letter was close enough to make it's point. At the time of the
Revolutionary War, only 1/3 of Americans were patriots. About 1/3 were
loyalists to the king and about 1/3 were uncommitted to either side.
(per the History Channel on July 4th.)
you made an error. you left out the 1/3 of americans who were revolutionaries. the patriots were, by definition, loyalists.
lbj
Part Timer

Post by lbj »

joe,

the issue is that you are sullying the reputation for the founders by associating them with lies to suit your political point of view. erroneous "facts" do matter.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: WHAT'S FREEDOM WORTH TO YOU?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

DID YOU KNOW?
As you walk up the steps to the building which houses the U..S Supreme Court you can see near the top of the building a row of the world's law givers and each one is facing one in the middle who is facing forward with a full frontal view ... It is Moses and he is holding the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?
As you enter the Supreme Court courtroom, the two huge oak doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on each lower portion of each door.

DID YOU KNOW?
As you sit inside the courtroom, you can see the wall, right above where the Supreme Court Judges sit, a display of the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?

There are Bible verses etched in stone all over the Federal Buildings and Monuments in Washington , D.C.

DID YOU KNOW?

James Madison, the fourth president, known as 'The Father of Our Constitution' made the following statement:

'We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God.'

DID YOU KNOW?
Every session of Congress begins with a prayer by a paid preacher, whose salary has been paid by the taxpayer since 1777.

DID YOU KNOW?

Fifty-two of the 55 founders of the Constitution were members of the established Orthodox churches in the colonies..

DID YOU KNOW?

Thomas Jefferson worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of Interpreting the law would begin making law an oligarchy the rule of few over many.

How then, have we gotten to the point that everything we have done for 220 years in this Country is now suddenly wrong and Unconstitutional?

Lets put it around the world and let the world see and remember what this great country was Built on The Holy Bible and belief in GOD!

I was asked to send this on if I agreed or
Delete if I didn't. Now it is your turn. ..

If you agree, pass this on.....

Joe Ribaudo
Knun
Part Timer

Post by Knun »

Very nice Joe,

Here's a video of a tour of our capitol. Some of the obvious Christian roots of our Country are pointed out.

I'm glad folks are still out there pointing out the real history of our great Country free of ASSHAT revisionists and leftist looneys.

You folks will enjoy this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlfEdJNn ... embedded#!
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

sad part is you idiots believe in the shit you post.

the united states of america in no way was founded on christian beliefs.

nope..just more bullshit from ignorant and hateful people.

treaty of tripoli, 1796:
ARTICLE 11.
As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

signed by congress fuckheads.