Anecdote

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Anecdote

Post by count »

OK, things are getting a little dull. So, here's a little story that has nothing to do with the LDM, but may amuse some of you. <br> <br>About 20 years ago, before I had ever heard of Waltz, my wife and I were backpacking in the Superstitions. It was one of our first trips, and all we had was a small hand-drawn trail map. We wanted to go to Bluff Springs via Miners Needle trail, but our map was so lousy we ended up on the Coffee Flat trail out be Reid's Water. We had been there before and realized we were in the wrong area, so we kept going back and forth looking for the way. Late in the day we finally found it, and by dark we had made it about halfway down the back of Miners Needle towards Bluff Spring. We made camp and cooked some great steaks we had brought, sipped a little Southern Comfort, and went to bed completely exhausted. <br>No sooner were we falling asleep, when we hear tap-tap-tap, rain drops on the tent. Pretty soon, it's turning into splash-splash - we had pitched the tent in a drainage! (Hey, the weather was great when we got there - who knew?)By the time the water was an inch deep in the tent, we realized we had to get up and move. Now it was a downpour! We got up and struggled into our clothes, and the flashlight went dead. So we have to break camp in the pouring rain and pitch dark. We finally get all the soaking wet gear stuffed in our packs, and there we are, miles from anywhere, soaking wet in the dark. So we decided shoot, may as well head back to the car. <br>The rain let up a bit, and we had some light from Phoenix lighting up the clouds. So we broke out the bottle of Southern Comfort and got a good buzz going on the way out. When we reached Miners Summit, it was foggy with dense patches drifting below us. I expected Dracula to materialize out of the mists. I remember standing at the crossroads of the summit, with my bottle of SC, laughing as loud as I could and hearing it echo all around me. We laughed and had fun all the way back, and made it to the car at about dawn. We then collapsed and slept for about 4 or 5 hours in the car before heading home. All in all, this is one of my favorite memories in the Superstitions - a camping trip that was ruined, but that ended up being one of the most fun and most memorable. <br> <br>OK, someone else's turn!