Signs and Symbols in the S.M.'s

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Signs and Symbols in the S.M.'s

Post by count »

There is presumably a sign on the north face of the Superstition Mountain. Maybe a cross. I would like to find an early photo of the sign from the early 70's before any improvements were made to it. If anyone knows the location / source I would appreciate an email. <br> <br>azmula
count
Expert

Post by count »

A cross on the north face of Superstition Mountain? I've never heard of that. Where did you find out about it, if you don't mind sharing?
count
Expert

Post by count »

Several of the old DH's have seen it and some even admit to it. One took a photo about 1972 which is the one I am looking for. I read about it first in one of the foregetable books of "fiction". I am being a little lazy not wanting to hike in past the Massacre Grounds to get there. I have many other places to spend my energies. <br> <br>azmula
count
Expert

Post by count »

Hmmmmmm...... <br> <br>I was at the Massacre Grounds last June. <br>Took lots of pics. Dont recall seeing any crosses, but I can check the pics again. Most of my photos show the Northeastern buttress of the Superstition Mtn Massif proper, so if its supposed to be in that particular area, it might show up...let me know. <br> <br> <br>P
count
Expert

Post by count »

I was going to hike past the grounds to the north-northwest face to see if there is a sign/cross there. Would appreciate the input. <br> <br>azmula
count
Expert

Post by count »

If you are talking about an area WEST of the stone chiefs (that is the prominent spires on the north end of Superstition Mtn proper) facing towards Goldfield (more or less), I cant help you. I was east of the chiefs in the little valley and hilltop where the "massacre" took place. Have pics of that area and the mountain facing east.
count
Expert

Post by count »

If you havent already you might want to check on some of the works of Charles Kenworthy. He has several books showing alleged treasure signs and symbols in the Superstitions. <br> <br>He theorized that the area near the stone chiefs was a rally point for Mexican miners coming to and going from their mines in the Superstitions. That may have been a reason the miners headed towards that particular place before being overwhelmed. <br> <br>I think that theory may have some merit, but on the other hand, Kenworthy, IMHO, has "monumentitis". <br>He seems to see signs and carvings on every prominent landmark and feature in the Superstitions. If the Mexicans spent that much time carving symbols into rock, I think they would have had little time to do anything else...things like mining, prospecting, <br>eating, sleeping etc....LOL
count
Expert

Post by count »

Don't know if this is connected but I remember hearing of several crosses in the mountains carved or scratched on rocks, cactus and trees. I've only seen one myself, a small cross on a large rock near Marsh Valley. I heard tell of a cross at the base of the main mountain, one near a permanent water source just before you reach Garden Valley, one on a tree near Squaw box and one in Labarge. The cross I new of on the large rock near Marsh Valley is gone today, somebody chipped it away in the early 60's. I suspect the others met the same fate. Hard to tell for sure if these was old or if done in modern days. Some mine hunters would note where these signs and symbols were located then destroy them so nobody else would find them. Monte Edwards had a good collection of signs, symbols and carvings all over the Superstition mountains. He passed on a few years back but maybe somebody knows if his photos and notebook is still around.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I have read three of his works and I agree totally with your interpretation of his views of the mountains. He just gets carried away with probable signs or symbols. He is one of those that I have found 1 or 2 viable points in his writings and the rest is of no use in my own research. I prefer to original works here and in Southern Pimeria Alta. <br> <br>Thanks, <br>azmula
count
Expert

Post by count »

The sign you are probabley talking about is the giant "P" that looks more like a "D" located on the northeast face of Bluff Springs Mtn. I've heard that the "P" is for "Peralta". There are several more "signs" on up La Barge Canyon towards Charlesbois Springs. All in all a very interesting area. I also understand that one of the LDM's is over the hill from white rock springs <br>Some of these "signs" I believe are there from the Jesuit's and others from the Peralta's.