Articles

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Articles

Post by count »

Ron, <br>There appears to be a lot more to this web site than this bulletin board. How about some new articles? And, the home page has a few entries that haven't been changed or updated since I've been watching. You must have some interesting stories. <br> <br>Talon, <br>What is the news about the horse, priest, etc? Anything you're willing to share? <br> <br>Which brings up ANOTHER topic: What does everyone think of the stone tablets? I know Tom K. thinks they're phony, but why? Other people think they're genuine, and again, why? I am not particularly impressed with them, but they are interesting, and I certainly wouldn't call them fake since I have no evidence one way or another. What do all of you think? Come on, Peter, I know YOU have an opinion on this!
count
Expert

Post by count »

The stone tablets... I believe they are fakes. Mainly for the reasons that Robert Sikorski brings up in his book "Quest for the Lost Dutchman" (an update of his "Fools Gold"). There are many inconsistencies with them. The thing that rubs me the wrong way is the "horse" looks like it was taken out of a children's coloring book from the 1930s.
count
Expert

Post by count »

The tablets are not my expertise. From what I have read and know about them, it seems that one can see whatever one wants to see in them. <br> <br>Are they frauds? I dont know, though I lean towards that camp. I just dont know enough about them to make an informed decision either way.....so I make beleive they dont exist...LOL <br> <br>Ah I found it. If anyone want to read an article on the tablets and where their trail of "18 places" ends up, check out this website. <br> <br>www.desertusa.com/mag98/sep/stories/lost3.html <br> <br> <br> I have no idea whether this theory is valid or not, sorry. But its something you folks can look at...if you havent already done so. <br> <br>P
count
Expert

Post by count »

Peter, <br>Yes I read it sometime ago salvaged two thoughts and discarded the rest. <br> <br>The tablets are not my expertise either, but I have taken a little time to research many things about the S.M.'s and there are three things you can be sure of: 1) the Apaches were there first 2) the J.S. church was there next 3) the Spanish/Mexican miners were there also. If you read the original documents in spanish from Mexico you might find confirmation of all three points. <br> <br>What if the Spanish in their travels with their Priests traveled through the S.M.'s during their travels to and from Santa Fe? What if when Santa Fe was about to fall the Priests took their treasures and hid them in the S.M.'s in various places (26) on their way back to Sonora? What if they created a set stone maps to follow to recover their treasure? What if a prominent family accidentally saw the maps of the mines and caches and decided to use the mines? What if the maps were stolen from Mexico and sold to someone in the USA? What if everyone makes the maps too deceptive? What if I don't know any thing of what I have written does that mean the maps are fake? <br> <br>Is it a possibility that if we have insufficient information that immediately decide something is fake? Sometimes we just need to do more original research and stop rehashing past data. <br> <br>That's enough for one 'What if ...'!! <br> <br>azmula
count
Expert

Post by count »

To me, the tablets look as if someone just used elements of different legends (peraltas, church treasures, etc) plus a large amount of random numbers, symbols, and squiggles so that anyone who wanted to could match them to their favorite theory. <br>(of course, the other way of looking at it is that it has effectively hidden its true meaning from me). <br> <br>Also, given the convoluted geography of the Superstitions, anyone trying to match any shape imaginable could find hundreds of matches. The question is how you could really match a given shape to just one of hundreds of possible places. <br> <br>It just seems like, if you were trying to give directions to a place where there are no roads, no place names, etc. you would want to be more specific, not more obscure. At the supposed time that the maps were made, it's not as if there were numerous people traveling through the Superstitions, and thus a danger of someone finding the mine was there? <br> <br>I have heard references made to a person who made the tablets as a practical joke or hoax. Has this person ever been named?
count
Expert

Post by count »

The story I heard was that a cowboy named Johnny Steel made them. I don't know the origin of that story, I just saw it in Tom Glover's book.
count
Expert

Post by count »

D Hunter <br> <br> You're right about the update on the home page. Again I apologize for a limited knowledge of the computer, but I'm learning, and it takes alot of time to gather what I want . I'm working on that very thing as we speak. I just rode for 3 days in the mountain and have just received your suggestion. We'll have new articles and an update on Tom and my lastest trip. Also when we have new info on my excavation , it will be posted.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I have heard that exact story of Johnny Steel making them from probaly another source. I personally don't think that to be true , in that I have a testimony of a man that hunted the mine in the 40's that claimed the Moel corporation had them made to gain money from phoney claims. <br> <br> Has any body else also heard that they were originally made to go with the Baron of Arizona's claim that he owned most of what was to become Arizona?
count
Expert

Post by count »

O.K. I'm not being critical (after all, where's MY web page??). Looking forward to the new stuff.