A Two Room House in a Cave

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

A Two Room House in a Cave

Post by count »

The subject of rock houses and caves is a very interesting (though confusing)one. <br> <br>Several clues about the location of the mine center around a "two room rock house in a cave", a "rock house" a "caverna con casa" an additional "cave" up the ridge from the mine and of course the "tunel" where the crosscut was supposedly dug into the side of the mountain to get at the vein of ore. <br> <br>I beleive that all of the above clues have a degree of validity, its just a question of properly seperating the jumble of clues into their proper place. <br> <br>My understanding of the clues places a two room rock house a good distance down canyon from the mine. I also beleive this rock house was the caverna con casa of legend. Waltz may well have used this rock house to camp, as there was a reliable source of water nearby, even in the hottest months. <br> <br> I beleive the famous "rock house" of Brownie Holmes fame was (is) exactly where Waltz said it would be. At the head of a north running canyon. In Waltzs day this canyon had even more vegetation than it does now and the house was well hidden. Today only a faint outline of the foundation can still be seen. <br> <br> There is still yet another cave. I think this cave was nearer to the mine area and was used as a tempoarary shelter by Waltz when he was too tired to make the trip down to the 2 room house. The area this cave is in fits the description of Waltz and his partner <br>tying up their animals on a grassy ridge while they worked the mine. <br> <br> Finally we come to the "tunel" This was the crosscut that the Mexicans dug into the mountain side when the shafts above proved difficult to work. Waltz later said he covered it up carefully, yet the tunnel entrance was supposedly found by a man named Deering in the summer of 1885. I beleive erosion, the earthquake of 87 and human intervention have worked together to make the tunnel <br>very difficult (if not impossible) to find these days. <br> <br>Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth. Am I right? Dunno. But its as good a guess as any on the house/cave question.